Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 10:00:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334535 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 257 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 374908 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2385 on: April 20, 2012, 09:13:43 PM »

An old lady gives her the mockingjay in the movie? Greasy Sae, i'm assuming. Interesting.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2386 on: April 20, 2012, 11:57:45 PM »

Cabin In The Woods - Finally! A horror movie that doesn't follow the "rules". A horror movie that actually tries to change things up, and succeeds. A horror movie that is not only horrific, but also funny, and damn near ingenious.
This movie was a blast right from the start. Sure, for a little while it seems to be playing into all the cliches, but with a hint of things to come as well. We are very much rewarded in that department. To say much more would be to spoil.
The movie is filled with homages to horror movies past, as well as several other great films. This isn't to say that it doesn't tread it's own path, because it most certainly does. It pretty much obliterates the path, and builds a brand new highway in it's place.
It is a rare and high compliment when I want to immediately see a movie over again.  This movie was just a ton of fun. The only problem I can see someone having with it is that it was TOO different. Horror fans can be an uptight bunch, sometimes. Heaven forbid a movie break a few(or a lot of) rules.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:33:56 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2387 on: April 22, 2012, 09:57:35 AM »

Three Stooges exceeded all expectations.  The gags were great, the choreography of the physical comedy was superb, and there were plenty of nifty throwbacks.  Notes:

The actors portraying the Stooges were awesome.  Nothing bad to say here, but each of them was 100% faithful to the original and gave a superior performance. 

The movie's plot and subplots were never very good (I especially didn't care about the sick orphan girl), but as a framework for ridiculous physical stunts it was better than adequate. 

Amusing small parts from Larry David, Isaiah Mustafa, Jane Lynch, Jennifer Hudson, the cast of Jersey Shore, and others were solid.  Kate Upton *REALLY* can't act, but she's gorgeous and her part was totally non-substantial so it's all good (I still can't believe she's only 19!!!). 

Overall, I absolutely don't regret getting a ticket.  Great for Stooges fans like myself, or anyone that likes totally silly physical comedy. 

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2388 on: April 22, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »

Good to hear a good review for Stooges.  I was worried if it'd work in this age too.

I saw Hunger Games.  A lot of really cheesy parts in the big city (anything to do with fire, for one... in other words, the outfits), but surprisingly well countered with some pretty touching moments otherwise.  And for a budget as big as it was, did it all go into paying Taylor Swift?  Cuz, the CG was... not that good.  Donald Sutherland was a perfect asshole.  And the guy who wore red, black, and white had THE BEST douchebag's beard... I'm waiting for the cast of Jersey Shore to catch on to it.

Jen Lawrence was great for the part and made for quite a pretty brunette (lucky girl can rock both colours; and people actually go around and say she's fat, especially for her role!...unbelievable standards today).  Josh's face has turned weird and bricky over the years, but played his part well, and I look forward to see what he can do in the future.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2389 on: April 22, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »

You know what they call Hunger Games in Paris?  Battle Royale wit' cheese.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2390 on: April 22, 2012, 12:59:44 PM »

Good to hear a good review for Stooges.  I was worried if it'd work in this age too.

I saw Hunger Games.  A lot of really cheesy parts in the big city (anything to do with fire, for one... in other words, the outfits), but surprisingly well countered with some pretty touching moments otherwise.  And for a budget as big as it was, did it all go into paying Taylor Swift?  Cuz, the CG was... not that good.  Donald Sutherland was a perfect asshole.  And the guy who wore red, black, and white had THE BEST douchebag's beard... I'm waiting for the cast of Jersey Shore to catch on to it.

Jen Lawrence was great for the part and made for quite a pretty brunette (lucky girl can rock both colours; and people actually go around and say she's fat, especially for her role!...unbelievable standards today).  Josh's face has turned weird and bricky over the years, but played his part well, and I look forward to see what he can do in the future.

The fire stuff plays a bigger role in the books.

Their costumes are supposed to represent their district and katniss is from the coal mining place. The flashy costume is important because it puts her on the map like a girl at a debutante ball, getting her sponsors that sent her survival stuff in the arena.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2391 on: April 22, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »

You know what they call Hunger Games in Paris?  Battle Royale wit' cheese.

If you want to go down that slope, then you can say that all of that dystopian stuff is basically 1984, Fahrenheit 451, 1984 meets Lord of the Flies...

I recall the "Simpsons Did It!" episode of South Park.  

I mean, hell, every story ever told follows one of a finite number of plots, right?  Most JRPGs don't deviate too far from certain formulas but we still enjoy them, whether it's Final Fantasy, Wild Arms, Phantasy Star...

Hell, look at Chaos Rings, Smash TV, The World Ends With You...

http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/plotFARQ.html

Like I said here, there comes a point when "so and so did it first" just comes off as ridiculous (especially since even Battle Royale never quite did "it" first.  That concept's been around forever): http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=10917.0
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:14:05 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2392 on: April 22, 2012, 03:44:25 PM »

Haha, I wasn't trying to "go down that slope" so much as make a Pulp Fiction joke.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2393 on: April 22, 2012, 09:17:26 PM »

Another film bites the dust: 12 Angry Men. For a movie that is just 12 men in a room talking, I was on the edge of my seat quite a few times. Very clever film that I heartily recommend.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2394 on: April 22, 2012, 09:30:43 PM »

I had to watch that movie in an 8th grade Civics class and was pleasantly surprised!  We watched the Sidney Lumet one, not the more recent one with Tony Danza.  Great film, totally holds up.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2395 on: April 22, 2012, 09:39:52 PM »

Yeah, it was the 1950's one I watched as well, I wasn't aware there was a more recent version.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2396 on: April 22, 2012, 10:05:19 PM »

I'm pretty sure it started out as a play, and the 1950s one was Sidney Lumet's debut as a director (he went on to do a bunch of awesome crime films like Serpico and The Verdict).  I saw the newer one sometime during college when I was browsing the media library and figured why the hell not.  It makes several changes, but is definitely respectful and a few of the newer subplots are interesting.  I still prefer the older one, though.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2397 on: April 22, 2012, 10:46:42 PM »

Haha, I wasn't trying to "go down that slope" so much as make a Pulp Fiction joke.

For the record, it left me smiling. :D

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2398 on: April 22, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »

Naked Gun marathon yesterday. All three movies in a row, gotta love hbo.

2 was definitely the best, followed by 1 closely, and 3 trailing a bit further behind. Leslie Nielsen was awesome.

TASTY!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2399 on: April 22, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »

Naked Gun marathon yesterday. All three movies in a row, gotta love hbo.

2 was definitely the best, followed by 1 closely, and 3 trailing a bit further behind. Leslie Nielsen was awesome.

Leslie and even the lass who plays Jane -- their comedic timing and some of the extremely literal humour CANNOT be beat.  I watched it recently myself, and it's a must see for everyone.

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 257 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: