Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 09:27:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331354 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 256 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 368019 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2550 on: July 10, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »

Actually, "With great power comes great responsibility" was never said by anyone in the main Spider Man comics. It was in one of those yellow narration boxes. In Ultimate Spider Man, Uncle Ben didn't say it in as many words either. The only mainstream Spider Man media that made liberal use of that line and actually came from Uncle Ben was the 90s cartoon show.
Nerd.
Troglodyte.

http://youtu.be/VlRXQEA0yj0
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2551 on: July 11, 2012, 12:58:19 AM »

It's Kind of a Funny Story
Dumb title aside, the story is a lot of fun and good to follow.  The main teen admits himself to an institution with suicidal thoughts.  He fully admits his issues aren't that big (but life in general bogging him down in many ways) but because of this, focuses on the other characters and how a teen usually feels their life is going horribly (well, for some).  He comes to realize there are ways to fix it, life is hard, but there is a graceful way to move on.  I liked it.  A surprisingly outstanding performance for Zack Galifianakis who perfectly combines kinda nutty but highly sympathetic.  Also, I was amazed by the soundtrack, it was perfect and really set a mood.

Jane Eyre (2011? ver)
*yaaawn*.  I normally enjoy period pieces, and Pride and Prejudice's 2005 version is a personal favorite for the romance genre... what the fuck happened here though?  It's a snooze fest.  The romance isn't particularly compelling and felt too one-sided, and the "big kiss" scene between the Jane and Rochester looked just looked awkward and marks the only time Jane is ever seen showing any sort of emotion that isn't stoic.  No good.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2552 on: July 11, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »

I might go see the new Batsy at Imax but I'm not sure if I have work the day after it comes out.

I've been watching The Wrestler like 3 times a week. I don't know what it is but I love this flick.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2553 on: July 12, 2012, 09:57:12 PM »

Saw Spiderman, better than I expected.
They got the Spidey in motion parts dead on, they were really good.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2554 on: July 20, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »

Just go see the Dark Knight Rises. Seriously. Just go.

Heart raced, emotions flared in all directions, tears welled, cheers and a somber feel at the end. This was a really fucking good film.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2555 on: July 20, 2012, 11:36:01 AM »

Heart raced, emotions flared in all directions, tears welled, cheers and a somber feel at the end. This was a really fucking good film.
Hey Todd, do you think it's ok for an 11-year old? I have yet to show my son the Batman movies because they're "darker" and more mature than other PG-13 Superhero films. My (sad, sad, deluded)wife really has no interest in seeing it, so I'd hate to drag her there. I'm contemplating watching TDK with him, then maybe going to see TDKR together. I kinda think the whole thing will be above his head. He's a smart kid, but I'm thinking the political theme might bore him. Hmmm.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2556 on: July 20, 2012, 06:44:16 PM »

I'd wait a year or two, Grim. But as a parent, it's up to you to decide if your kid can handle it, since you know him better than anyone else.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2557 on: July 20, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »

Show him Batman Begins. It's the most tame of the group, with the scarecrow being only scary looking and very few people being killed in gruesome ways. If he can handle that well (I'd wait a few weeks for nightmares or strange behavior) try the second one and third. Idk about Rises, but Dark Knight was definitely a but more extreme in nature, and joker could be scary to a young kid still.

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2558 on: July 20, 2012, 07:46:52 PM »

TDK is more gritty, and Rises is more of a post-war PTSD story about redemption and moving on - the fighting and stuff aren't too extreme, and there's no pencil in the eye crap like there was in TDK.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2559 on: July 20, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »

I saw TDKR at a midnight showing, got home, saw it was almost 4AM, played Final Fantasy XII for two hours, then went to work at around 6:45 like normal.  When I got home, I immediately took a recovery nap and five-ish hours later here I am. 

Movie was pretty good.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2560 on: July 21, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »

Anchorman -
Hmmm. I'm guessing for certain people this type of humor is hilarious. I just kind of sat there and wished I had opted for Arkham Asylum instead. Sure, I grinned at a few of the jokes, but most fall completely flat. I admit that I had already heard some of the more well-known stuff on the radio and such, but that doesn't excuse the other 85 minutes.
The whole thing makes no sense at all, so I won't bother going into it. The romance was contrived and idiotic. The rivalry thing with the other station(s) was a waste of film. Especially the big "fight". What the hell was that?
This is part of the reason why I don't bother with comedies any more. They all seem to be shooting for the lowest common denominator, and I, sure as hell, am not it. When a movie with actual intelligent humor comes along, perhaps I'll give the genre another shot. Until then, back to real movies.

Playing:
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2561 on: July 21, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »

Hey Todd, do you think it's ok for an 11-year old? I have yet to show my son the Batman movies because they're "darker" and more mature than other PG-13 Superhero films. My (sad, sad, deluded)wife really has no interest in seeing it, so I'd hate to drag her there. I'm contemplating watching TDK with him, then maybe going to see TDKR together. I kinda think the whole thing will be above his head. He's a smart kid, but I'm thinking the political theme might bore him. Hmmm.

I think you should sit down and watch Batman Begins with him (if you guys havent already seen it). I think the hardest part for him might be understanding the whole idea of who Ra's al Gul is. The Dark Knight is more violent (but not gruesome), and the dialog with the Joker and Batman and the whole District Attorney/Gordon/Batman relationship might be a little over his head.

He might need another year or so, but hey.....my cousin saw it who's 12 and he totally understands the whole series' storyline.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2562 on: July 21, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »

I don't own Batman Begins, as I didn't particularly like Batman Begins. I'm not wasting a movie queue slot on it. I didn't like Ra's al Gul at all, as well some other parts of the movie I've long forgotten about. Sounds like some of what happened in BB resonates in TDKR. Considering I don't even remember much of that movie, I'd basically be on the same plane as my son. I just know he trained him, then betrayed him. I'm pretty sure I can tell him that.
Anyway, I'm still waffling on this. My wife is being stupid about it, and has made it perfectly clear she does not want to see this. I don't quite get why she's being so ornery, as we saw TDK together, and she seemed to like it well enough. As usual she offers no explanation.
I have no friends, so either I go with my kid, and risk him being lost for almost 3 hours, or I go by myself, which I have never done before.
Why is this so complicated? Ugh.

Playing:
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2563 on: July 21, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »

It's not like you're taking him to see Momento, I'm sure he will get a kick out of seeing superheroes using cool gadgets and fighting cool villains. That and Anne Hathaway's Catwoman can be the ignition to his puberty.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2564 on: July 22, 2012, 01:40:41 AM »

Dark Knight Rises was awesome.  Also, I was amused by hearing Fellowship of the Ring music playing during the Man of Steel trailer that immediately followed the trailer for The Hobbit.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 256 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: