Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 06:00:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331567 Posts in 13575 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 256 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 368620 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2640 on: September 01, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Bizarre movie. It tries so hard to pull at the heartstrings, and even succeeds in a few scenes, but there is so much here that defies reality that the movie as whole can only be seen as a failure.
It's all about the kid. The kid whose dad dies in one of the buildings on 9./11. He's having an incredibly difficult time letting go, and is desperately trying to find ways to keep his dad in his life. This is can relate to. This I can understand. The problem is that he acts nothing like any 9 year old I've ever met. Well, I take that back. He actually reminded me of my son somewhat, with all his questions, and ponderings. He and his dad  - had a unique relationship, and a very close one. But he's only 9 years old! He is allowed to trek all over New York all by himself talking to all sorts of strange people. He is allowed to have, what looks like, absolute freedom to come and go. It's just so hard to buy into.
Even with them mentioning that he may have Aspergers, or something like it, that still doesn't excuse everything that goes on.
Then we have the absolutely ridiculous "revelation" towards the end of what his mom has been up to. It totally negates the point of the movie, and pretty much ruins all that came before. I don't know what they were thinking with that. Or what the author was thinking, as this is a book adaptation.
Despite all it's problems there is still some good here, and still plenty to be taken away from it. Some of it was really quite effective, and even pulled on my oh-so-cynical heartstrings. Too bad these moments are so few and far between.

It's a rainy day, so I took my wife and son to see:
ParaNorman - For the longest time I had little interest in this movie. Then I saw that it was stop-motion and made by the fine people who made Coraline(You HAVE seen Coraline, right?). The good reviews sealed the deal, and we finally went today.
This was just plain old-fashioned fun. It had a great classic horror movie feel to the look and the story. It even pays homage to several obvious influences.
The story itself isn't particularly original, and nor are the characters. Indeed, most of the side characters are pure stereotypes. Clueless parents, ditzy blonde older sister, generic bully, fat friend. Despite this, it all comes together in a very funny, and sometimes even poignant, movie. It WAS a little odd when the movie suddenly shifted gears in the last 10 minutes to explore some heady stuff, but it was inevitable considering the material.
I'm all about the recent spate of kids movies touting acceptance. It's ok to be different. In fact, it should be encouraged. Why shouldn't everyone be allowed to be who they want to be, without being bullied or mocked? Right from the beginning Norman is called a freak. Even the adults join in. To be different; To think different, is wrong.
By the end of the movie, after all sorts of crazy events, the new message is loud and clear: Let your freak flag fly. If only it didn't take such means to get to such an end.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:25:45 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2641 on: September 02, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »

Found this movie from 1973 called Fantastic Planet and it's... different to say the least. Though, I'm impressed with the soundtrack. Good stuff.

Generique

I see this movie pop up every so often. Yeah, it was from the psychedelic 70s, so I believe you when you call it "...different" (anyone remember/watch the animated film "Wizards" from 1977? psychedlic is all over this, and it's in a goddamn myth-medieval setting!!!  Speaking of which, anyone remember that *absolutely* amazing villain death? For a movie called and about a wizard, this was the least likely and best death I could have imagined).

I wonder why old animated movies and series from the 70s has this creppy vibe to it? Maybe is the weird animation and sounds.

Anyway I finished watching the Fantastic Planet. At times I regretted seeing the movie, in others I thought it was clever but at the end of the day I don't think is all that great other than for being an impressive film considering the time it was made.

Is also worth mentioning that when the movie ended I felt really uncomfortable.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2642 on: September 02, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »

Found this movie from 1973 called Fantastic Planet and it's... different to say the least. Though, I'm impressed with the soundtrack. Good stuff.

Generique

I see this movie pop up every so often. Yeah, it was from the psychedelic 70s, so I believe you when you call it "...different" (anyone remember/watch the animated film "Wizards" from 1977? psychedlic is all over this, and it's in a goddamn myth-medieval setting!!!  Speaking of which, anyone remember that *absolutely* amazing villain death? For a movie called and about a wizard, this was the least likely and best death I could have imagined).

I wonder why old animated movies and series from the 70s has this creppy vibe to it? Maybe is the weird animation and sounds.

Anyway I finished watching the Fantastic Planet. At times I regretted seeing the movie, in others I thought it was clever but at the end of the day I don't think is all that great other than for being an impressive film considering the time it was made.

Is also worth mentioning that when the movie ended I felt really uncomfortable.

Mostly because it was made during the 70s which had a fairly sizable underground movement for adult animation at the time. Its the crap the previous generation made back when they were as old as we are now. In thirty~forty years our kids will look back on our webcomics and flash games and go "What a bunch of loving creeps.".

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2643 on: September 03, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »

The Godfather - I finally saw this! Yay! It is a burden off my movie-watching chest. So what did I think?
It was very good. Extremely authentic feeling with all the family interaction, and the weddings that made you feel like a voyeur. When I first saw Don Corleone it was hard to take him seriously considering all the
ribbing the character has taken over the years. I got used to him, though, and realized how great Marlon Brando was here.
Really, everyone was great. Michael is such a sympathetic character. You know right from the beginning that there's no way he's going to be able to stay out of the family "business".
Movies like this make me wonder how accurate they are in comparison to how things were for real. Of course, mobsters existed. Of course, they fought over territory and such. All the killing is hard to take, though. It just paints everything with a tinge of sadness. I end up feeling bad for these clueless men who think they have it all figured out.
Great movie. I'll have to get part 2 now.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2644 on: September 09, 2012, 10:49:45 PM »

High Tension - This sucked. There was no tension at all. The killer was totally weak, and his killing spree made no sense. Plus, they showed him way too early, and way too often, which totally eliminates a lot of the scare potential. The movie had a good look about it,and adds an interesting twist  towards the end, but it's already too late by then. Stay away.

The Pirates: Band of Misfits(aka In and Adventure With Scientists!) - Why did I have high hopes for this? Just because it's about pirates? Because it's made by the same folks who make the Wallace and Gromit films? I'm not really sure. What I AM sure of is that this was a bit of a let down. Not for lack of effort or anything, as the film looks great, sounds great, and has a lot of good
moments. I just never really cared about what was happening on screen. The Pirate Captain is not very likeable, and we don't get to know his crew at all . It's like we're just supposed to be amused simply because they're pirates. Personality and character be damned.
Across the pond the subtitle for this movie is "In an Adventure with Scientists!". This is somewhat misleading, as we only get one scientist; albeit a rather well known one. Darwin himself ends up involved in the proceedings, and he, much like the Captain, is terribly unlikeable. Some of the scenes involving him are very clever, but only because we know what he goes on to do. If not for that, he would just be a regular jerk of a guy with a monkey for  a best friend, and a desperate need for a girlfriend. It made me wonder if Darwin had issues with the ladies,as this is a running joke through almost all of Darwin's scenes.
I love stop motion animation, and marvel at the amount of work that goes into making a movie in this manner. It just seems to me that they put all the effort into the look and feel of the film, and sacrificed everything else. This was a mildly amusing movie that could have been much better with a decently written story and characters.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:59:48 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2645 on: September 12, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »

I absolutely hate Wallace and Grommit and anything associated with the creator's style.  Well, I liked Grommit, but the pooch didn't say anything. 

I watched Disney's Hercules in my on going effort to watch a bunch of animated stuff.  Not much to say, not my favorite, but I liked how silly it was and thought Hades was an awesome villain.  Of note is a really, really, badly animated old man in the background of one scene, a first (?) that I've seen out of a Disney film since they're extremely well animated.... and usually accused INSTEAD for sexual imagery hidden in their works instead (but that award goes to Fantasia and Rescuers Down Under for actually showing nips).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2646 on: September 12, 2012, 04:01:18 PM »

I absolutely hate Wallace and Grommit and anything associated with the creator's style.  Well, I liked Grommit, but the pooch didn't say anything. 

What?! How in the world can a person hate Wallace and Gromit? Granted, I've only see the Curse of the Wererabbit, but it was such a fun movie. I also liked Aardmans Chicken Run quite a bit.
Do you just not like that style of humor? It did take a bit to get used to it. Kind of like Doctor Who.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2647 on: September 13, 2012, 01:41:55 PM »

Hansel and Gretel
Dunno if this is allowed or not, but apparently it had no form of distribution outside of a few countries, so edit this link out if not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcdu8bCuvcc
This seems to get compared to Pan's Labyrinth fairly often, and some parts of it do remind me of that, but it makes me think mostly of the Shining with its psychological creepiness/horror.
For some reason, I expected a really surprising or climactic end but I think its climax may have happened slightly too early.
Though up until that point, it really kept me interested.
I reallyreallyreallyreally recommend it for anyone that likes dark fairy tale stuff or just creepy movies in general.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2648 on: September 13, 2012, 02:03:29 PM »

Hansel and Gretel
Dunno if this is allowed or not, but apparently it had no form of distribution outside of a few countries, so edit this link out if not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcdu8bCuvcc
This seems to get compared to Pan's Labyrinth fairly often, and some parts of it do remind me of that, but it makes me think mostly of the Shining with its psychological creepiness/horror.
For some reason, I expected a really surprising or climactic end but I think its climax may have happened slightly too early.
Though up until that point, it really kept me interested.
I reallyreallyreallyreally recommend it for anyone that likes dark fairy tale stuff or just creepy movies in general.

...dunno if the person who wrote that wiki page is a native speaker:

"Lee Eun-soo: the protagonist of the story. He accidentally got into their house. He wanted to get out, even in every situations. But finally he told the children how much he love them and he wanted to stay, but his girlfriend needed him. So he went back, and was still thinking of the children. He made clippings of newspapers about the disappearance of Byun (he did this in the ending) and still figuring out why he still thinks of the children, but finally was relieved that they're living happily."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:20:02 PM by Dice » Logged

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2649 on: September 13, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »

Yes, but how is babby formed?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2650 on: September 14, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »

a'ight, fixed up that character section a bit.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2651 on: September 14, 2012, 11:55:06 PM »

Lee Eun-soo: the protagonist of the story. He got into a car accident and was found by one of the children in the nearby woods and taken to their home. He told the children how much he loved them and he wanted to stay, but his pregnant girlfriend and sick mother needed him. The movie centers around him trying to leave, and the events that keep him from going back home.

A-
Very well written paragraph.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2652 on: September 15, 2012, 01:01:23 PM »

Tyrannosaur - Wow. This one was rough. A dark and bitter movie about a man who seems to have lost all his humanity. This is hardcore REAL, and would probably disturb some people for not being Hollywood glossy. These are REAL people in REAL situations. Which makes the proceedings that much harder to accept. We don't want to see ourselves, and what we(as a race. As people) are capable of , but perhaps laying it out bare can open some eyes.
Peter Mullan is incredible here. He plays lost and disturbed so well. You hate him one moment, and feel for him the next. Olivia Colman as Hannah is equally amazing. I love how she, and her life, are not at all what they seem at first glance. Just like most peoples lives are not at all what we think they may be.
There's not really a central story here. It's more a character study. We see, for a few days(months?) the goings on of these people, and then the movie ends, leaving us wondering where their lives will lead.
I had only one problem with the movie, and I have to go into spoilerville to bring it up:
spoilers!
Code:
Why is Hannah in jail at the end? Talk about injustice! For everything she went through, it should have been ruled self defense. I hope her sentence is a short one. That asshole deserved it. Whatever it is she actually did to him. They didn't actually show her killing Tommy. Just the result. Seemed to be an odd omission for a movie like this.
spoilers done
This really IS a great movie. I recommend it only half-heartedly, though, as I don't want people to hate me for it. Plus, animal lovers beware! Seriously.
This is great film-making and I look forward to seeing what else Paddy Considine comes up with.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2653 on: September 22, 2012, 11:10:31 AM »

Life as a House - And here we have the classic Father and son " we hate each other, then we love each other" story. There's more to it than that, but this is what is at the heart of this movie.
 Too bad the movie was so all over the place. It tries super hard, on a constant basis, to tug the heartstrings, but it's hard to care when there's so much going on with all sorts of characters we barely get to know.
Kevin Kline is very good. Hayden as his son is ok, but we never really understand why he ended up down the path he did.
Actually there's a lot not explained here. The guy appears to be an Architect, but is living in a shack. We find out he work for the company for 20 years. On minimum wage or what? Or maybe he was just the model builder? Still, you'd think he'd be making enough to have more than a broken down shack.
Despite all it's issues, in the end it still managed to make me care about the father and son. Probably because I have a son of my own, and an illness that could have things ending the same way this does. THAT really got to me.
I can't imagine anyone not in a similar situation being affected by this nearly as much. Very schmaltzy.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: September 22, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »

Saw The Cabin In The Woods.  Pretty good stuff.  Freaky, but classic Joss.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 256 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: