Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 06:57:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319236 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 245 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 334976 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2655 on: September 23, 2012, 12:41:53 PM »

Saw The Cabin In The Woods.  Pretty good stuff.  Freaky, but classic Joss.
I loved the hell(ha ha!) out of this movie. SO fun! I'm glad it's out on video now, because I want to see it again.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2656 on: September 25, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »

Bought and watched Avengers on Blu-Ray. Once again, astoundingly good. Not as much special features as I'd like but a great set overall.  Just watching that teaser gives me a chill. Can't wait to see the next one. I can think of at least one character I'd like to see added...faithfully represented.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2657 on: September 28, 2012, 11:15:29 AM »

The Woodsman -
Man, this was DARK. This is not a fun or entertaining movie at all. I knew that going in, but still...
We have a very basic premise. A man gets out of jail after 12 years and tries to start his life anew. We don't know what he did for awhile, but start to get ideas pretty quick.
He meets a woman at work, and ends up in a relationship. The revelation of what he did finally comes out, and I couldn't help but wonder about his placement. Isn't that illegal or something?
he is extremely tormented by what he did, and what he continues to want to do. A couple scenes really skeezed me out, but they were supposed to. It hammers home how horrible of a thing it is.
Keven Bacon is amazing here. He should have won an award for this. He plays this disturbed individual so well. And when the time comes, he plays "ultra creepy guy" damn well. I wanted to punch him.
The movie goes by rather quickly, and seems to end without any resolution. But I believe the title, as explained in the movie,  is the resolution. His final actions are hopefully the impetus to starting a new life. We'll never know, of course, but we can only hope.
Great movie, but a tough watch.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2658 on: September 28, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »

Is that the one with Bacon??  (ps I love Bacon...both types)
It was on my "to watch" list till I realized I saw a ton of dark and sad movies and switched on over to more happier stuff for a bit.

Anyways, I watched "The Five Year Engagement".  Colour-coded name because the movie has a very yellow and blue filter, I actually don't think any green is in this movie.  ...anyways.
Lots of fun, great couples movie especially if you dig the "Apatow" humour of 40 Year Old Virgin and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.  Jason Segal is just downright likeable despite being this kinda unattractive, gigantic friendly bear on screen.  Both Emily Blunt and Alison Brie are in it, both performing really well too.  One thing I admired was that it hit an all too common problem that most couples run into at some point and make their point through a metaphor about "old donuts". 

I recommend it; it's a bit longer than it needs to be (I call this a common problem in Apatow-style flicks though); but one thing I loved that another reviewer put better than I did, was that the characters in these flicks are people you really just wanna "hangout" with.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2659 on: September 28, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »

anyone ever see Rachel Getting Married. I hate that movie so fucking much. Every frame makes my blood boil with the fire of a million suns

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2660 on: September 28, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »

Is that the one with Bacon??  (ps I love Bacon...both types)
It was on my "to watch" list till I realized I saw a ton of dark and sad movies and switched on over to more happier stuff for a bit.

Anyways, I watched "The Five Year Engagement".  Colour-coded name because the movie has a very yellow and blue filter, I actually don't think any green is in this movie.  ...anyways.
Lots of fun, great couples movie especially if you dig the "Apatow" humour of 40 Year Old Virgin and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.  Jason Segal is just downright likeable despite being this kinda unattractive, gigantic friendly bear on screen.  Both Emily Blunt and Alison Brie are in it, both performing really well too.  One thing I admired was that it hit an all too common problem that most couples run into at some point and make their point through a metaphor about "old donuts". 

I recommend it; it's a bit longer than it needs to be (I call this a common problem in Apatow-style flicks though); but one thing I loved that another reviewer put better than I did, was that the characters in these flicks are people you really just wanna "hangout" with.

No consumable bacon, unfortunately, but plenty of Actor Bacon. Like I said in my review. Doh!

I generally don't enjoy Apatow fliks, but I DO enjoy Emily Blunt, so I still want to see this. It's on my list.

anyone ever see Rachel Getting Married. I hate that movie so fucking much. Every frame makes my blood boil with the fire of a million suns
Why? I thought it was quite good. Anne Hathaway is fantastic. I hate weddings, and I still liked it. Felt very "real".

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2661 on: September 28, 2012, 02:02:55 PM »

Grim: sorry, I sorta replied from my phone and skimmed right passed [capital-B] Bacon mention...

Yeah, I liked that movie too; Hathaway did a great job and I thought her big reveal was pretty big and deep.  I thought the wedding was stupid, but I guess provided an interesting forum for the plot.

Only movie I really remember hating in recent years (and I mean "hate") was Magnolia.  What an annoying movie.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2662 on: September 30, 2012, 10:52:27 PM »

Cabin in the Woods: Fucking fantastic. What a smart, funny movie that is such an obvious nod to horror tropes. Like Scream was for slashers back in the 90's, this does for the entire horror genre for this decade. The whole last 30 minutes was so epic. I bet this was an awesome movie to see in theaters.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2663 on: October 01, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »

Cabin in the Woods: Fucking fantastic. What a smart, funny movie that is such an obvious nod to horror tropes. Like Scream was for slashers back in the 90's, this does for the entire horror genre for this decade. The whole last 30 minutes was so epic. I bet this was an awesome movie to see in theaters.
Indeed it was! I loved the hell out of this movie. I need to see it again now that it's out on video. I might even buy it, and I never buy movies. It was a total blast.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2664 on: October 01, 2012, 03:47:53 PM »

I was under the impression Cabin was a serious horror movie. I'm wrong in that?

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: October 01, 2012, 03:52:52 PM »

It's... kind of a mix.  There are times where Cabin's a straight up horror movie, and others where it's something else.  Scream is actually a better reference point than I initially thought it was - both movies look at the tropes of horror movies, sometimes by using them, sometimes by directly referencing how tropey they are.

Edit: I like this piece of trivia from IMDB:

Immediately after an early preview screening with fan Q&A, the first question Director Drew Goddard was asked was, "Will there be a sequel?" To which he responded,
Code:
"Have you seen the ending to my movie?"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:57:45 PM by Tooker » Logged

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2666 on: October 01, 2012, 07:45:36 PM »

It's... kind of a mix.  There are times where Cabin's a straight up horror movie, and others where it's something else.  Scream is actually a better reference point than I initially thought it was - both movies look at the tropes of horror movies, sometimes by using them, sometimes by directly referencing how tropey they are.

Edit: I like this piece of trivia from IMDB:

Immediately after an early preview screening with fan Q&A, the first question Director Drew Goddard was asked was, "Will there be a sequel?" To which he responded,
Code:
"Have you seen the ending to my movie?"

Cabin is such a unique experience. Like you said, it is a real mix of both. It is both a meta-horror movie and a straight-up horror movie, pretty much concurrently. I mean,

Code:
The central plot of the movie revolves around the classic horror movie archetypes: Whore, Fool(Partyer), Athlete (Jock), Scholar (Nerd) and the Virgin (Final Girl). So many horror movies follow this same trope and, really, the only thing that changes is the monster. The repetition of the same scenario in itself is like a ritual, and the creators were clever enough to take this meta idea of archetypes and myth and craft a story around the mythology of horror movies, while still creating a horror movie.

The humor is pretty nice too, and the whole overall tone is decently light-hearted. I wouldn't call it a parody in any way, but the movie never takes itself too seriously.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:47:52 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2667 on: October 06, 2012, 12:46:56 AM »

Just caught " Goon" on TV. I don't know why I didn't watch it sooner. Great movie regardless whether you dig hockey or not:) It had a good mix of humor, drama and heart. I highly recommend it.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2668 on: October 06, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »

Saw Looper.

Good to see an original concept getting great reviews.  I love it and fully recommend it.  Only thing I didn't like was some parts felt extremely vague, sometimes unnecessary, to the main problem with time travel films, not focusing on repercussions in the future because of things that happened in the past..

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2669 on: October 06, 2012, 11:42:42 AM »

is that an Inception kind of flick where it basically lights your brain on fire?

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 245 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: