Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 03:15:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319824 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 245 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 336783 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: October 21, 2012, 12:33:23 PM »

I can't speak for the world, but as for myself, I don't like watching things with subtitles because they mean I have to actually WATCH all the time.  I can't look away, or I won't know what is being said.  Granted, I don't tend to watch movies in the theater, where people tend to be more visually locked in to the movie.  But that's still my reason.

As far as black & white, I think you're right, but I don't know why it's true.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2686 on: October 21, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »

I love a good foreign flick from time to time.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2687 on: October 21, 2012, 10:18:54 PM »

I can't speak for the world, but as for myself, I don't like watching things with subtitles because they mean I have to actually WATCH all the time.  I can't look away, or I won't know what is being said.  Granted, I don't tend to watch movies in the theater, where people tend to be more visually locked in to the movie.  But that's still my reason.

As far as black & white, I think you're right, but I don't know why it's true.

I'm the same but for different reasons.  Usually I like multi-tasking while I sit and watch, mainly because I find solely "sitting and watching" to be very unproductive (I like drawing while I watch a movie or TV show, or getting some cleaning done); so subtitles don't always work for me.  Of course, that doesn't stop me from sitting with it every once in a while (one anime this season finally particularly has me pretty hooked and "paying attention").

Black and white may simply be because it feels antiquated.  Rather, and especially in the more simple mind-set of a kid, they may like that sort of flashiness you get with color TV than blank and white.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2688 on: October 22, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »

Been trying to watch stuff I either haven't seen before or haven't seen in a long time this year for Halloween.

I watched a movie called Dead Heat last night. It's cheesy as hell but as a few amusing moments, like the zombie duck.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2689 on: October 22, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »

Three movies in three days. Because I hate money.

Saw Looper on Friday. Time travel shenanigans, action sometimes a little predictable, but certainly entertaining start to finish. Favorite film of the weekend.

Saw Argo Ssturday night on a date. Great movie. Tense and exciting during its final scenes, and the parts with the Hollywood guys are hilarious. Bryan Cranston was also great. Good performances all around.

Last night I saw Pitch Perfect with some friends. It's the basic plot framework of a subpar sports movie, but with college a capella groups. A group from my alma mater had a cameo! Plenty of funny lines (Rebel Wilson and the two Asian girls regularly stole scenes) and Anna Kendrick was totally adorable, but as a movie it was only okay overall. Music performances were good, but definitely aimed at Top-40 radio fans.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2690 on: October 22, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »

When I watch a movie I WATCH a movie. I dedicate myself to it. I can't stand how my wife sits there and tries to read or cross stitch while a movie is playing. This might be ok for repeat viewings, but if you have any love of movies at all, you'll give that initial viewing the attention it deserves.

I've seen plenty of foreign films, and understand why people can be turned off by subtitles. Personally, I dislike more the idea of losing out on seeing great movies because of it.
The black and white thing is just ignorance. Nowadays, it's an artistic choice, and people should be aware of it. Frankenweenie is perfect in B & W, and would lose a lot of its charm if it wasn't. I can see why a child might thing B & W means old and stupid, but that's just because no one has taught them otherwise.

Prometheus -
I've had to think for a few days on this one. The movie is complex, and open to interpretation. I enjoyed a good part of it, but was left with many questions and concerns.
For starters, it looks fantastic. The ship is amazing, and all the scenes in space are suitably grand.
The goal of the ship and it's crew is monumental: To journey to the planet that our supposed creators came from.
This is heavy stuff.
It's too bad, then, that we are stuck with an extraordinarily boring crew. An oddly mixed group of people that you would think would have been more carefully chosen, considering the mission.
David is the most fascinating, as the immortal android servant of Peter Weyland.  We discover pretty quick that he has been given a different set of instructions.
Noomi Rapace is our oddly religious scientist along, apparently, for that very reason.
Charlize Theron gets to stand around and look grumpy as the money of the expedition.
Right from the beginning the movie pushes us, and then veers off in a myriad of directions, with the sole purpose of confusing the hell out of the viewer. That's how it felt to me, anyway.
Of course, we also get the expected "horror" moments, which seemed oddly out of place. At that point I was much more curious about the planet, it's people, and what we could learn from them. Unfortunately, too much gets glossed over for the sake of entertainment.
I can't really go much further without spoiling.
So why three stars? Because it was beautifully shot, and made me think. Heck, I'd like to watch it again to challenge my own (barely there)conclusions. A reaction like this does not come from a poor movie. See it for yourself and decide.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:25:06 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2691 on: October 22, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »

Colour is better than none, and simply watching is better than reading subs.

Black and white are colors you silly. :p

Is just the "format" (for the lack of a better word?) that looks dated which makes people not get into films in black and white. You know, why would I want to watch an old movie when I can see a new one in HD and 3D. @A@

About subs... I don't know. I'm from Latin America and a bunch of people only talks Spanish and there are other bunch that knows English but English is mostly used as a tool to translate all the stuff that comes from there so all the big movies (for the most part) have to be seen in theaters when they come out with subtitles, though, there are options sometimes of watching a movie in 2D with subs, dubbed in Spanish or in 3D with subs or dubs.

Films that are aimed at kids however are always dubbed because kids don't give a fuck about reading.

Prometheus

Funny seeing your impressions posted just now because I just saw this video on YouTube that made curious of about Prometheus. Seems like that kind of film with "deep" narrative, and for the video it appears it also has symbolism, and personally I've never liked symbolism because I think is a BS way to make your story needlessly convoluted and more meaningful to the audience. In the case of Prometheus however symbolism is like an integral part of the narrative.

Haven't seen the movie yet so I have no idea.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2692 on: October 24, 2012, 01:52:01 AM »

Prometheus - Heck, I'd like to watch it again to challenge my own (barely there)conclusions. A reaction like this does not come from a poor movie. See it for yourself and decide.

I walked out of the theatre very disappointed. A reaction like that does not come from a good movie.

I rewatched it again last week and didn't enjoy it then either.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2693 on: October 31, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »

Rise of the Planet of the Apes -
This turned out to be a pretty well made, and thoughtful, movie. I WAS distracted a bit by the CG apes, even though they were very well done.
For awhile there this kind of felt like a "man and his best monkey pal" story. I suppose this was necessary to lay the groundwork for what's to come.
James Franco did a fine job as the scientist who develops the formula for a disease cure, but which ends up doing so much more.
John Lithgow played a good, Alzheimers ridden, father.
The girl was just the love interest, like all too many movies. Perhaps someday Hollywood will find a use for females outside of male arm candy. Doubtful.
It definitely got more interesting as the movie went along, and Caesar learned how to use his intelligence.
This was really just a setup for the inevitable sequel, but it was a very good setup. Much better than it has any right to be.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2694 on: November 04, 2012, 09:36:23 AM »

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale -
Talk about not living up to the (cultish) hype. They spend far too much building things up, then never pull the trigger! It's quite frustrating.
It started out with promise. We have these dudes digging a giant hole in the earth. It ends up being a giant grave site,with the inhabitants not actually dead, but frozen. It must be Santa! (sings song)
Here's the dinger(SPOILER for anyone who cares). We NEVER see this bad ass mythic Santa. We get a hint as to who he was and what he did(read: NOT good things), but never get to experience it. I thought that was what the movie was going to be about! A crazed Santa going around kicking the shit out of naughty folks. All we end up with are some gnarly looking "elves", who don't really do anything.
I don't get the positive reviews at all. Apparently these people were expecting a terribly boring movie with nothing happening. Talk about low expectations.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2695 on: November 05, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »

Cloud Atlas - Heck of a lot better than I thought it would be.  Very impressed, very well directed, and a great ensemble.  Something about Game of Thrones occasionally irritates me when I'm happier to follow some character's stories than others, but I didn't have that problem here.  Each story was interesting in its own way.  After an awkward start, they made a complicated but still easy to take in multi-story

And OMG HALLE BARRIE WOULD BE HOT AS A WHITE WOMAN TOO.
Butt seriously: I wanna take their make up artists to make me Asian, Black, and a Man -- I hope this gets an academy for its makeup and prosthetics.  They could have done better with Doona Bae as a white person, but liked how she turned out for later chapters.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:30:25 AM by Dice » Logged

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2696 on: November 07, 2012, 04:28:41 AM »

Should be watching (the rest of) this movie soon.
Try to guess the name of it without looking at comments or using google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdIKEzr20fA
Love is a dung hill, Betty, and I am but a cock that climbs upon it to crow.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2697 on: November 08, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »

Wreck-It Ralph

....Meh.

Kudos to Disney''s marketing task force to (I guess?) pay gaming royalties for their real-life game references with some pretty blatant product placements (particularly Nes-Quik, Mentos, and Subway, the latter being really shoved in your face for no good reason, and Mentos becoming a fucking plot point).  The flick spends waaay too much time in Sugar Rush, and switches all the gaming puns to candy-related puns (and the movie seems to rely a lot on "punny" humour).  And while the plot was creative, I can't say I cared for either Lynch and Silverman doing the leading ladies, being either to rough and too old (respectively) for the role they were playing.

The humour wasn't that strong, I actually thought Rapunzel did way better even if cheesier, but the overall message was certainly better.

I liked the little featurette before.  The paper plane thing was cute, and I loved Disney Renaissance Artist Glen Keane's work heading it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:45:51 PM by Dice » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2698 on: November 08, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »

I wanna go see Wreck-It Ralph but what's this message that the movie has? Don't care about spoilers so just go into details if you need to explain something in particular.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2699 on: November 08, 2012, 10:30:13 PM »

I'm tired of animated movies that use talentless hacks like John C Reilly. Can you imagine Alladin used,... Tom Cruise or something?

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 245 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: