Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 10:13:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329878 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 255 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 363187 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2700 on: November 08, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »

I'm tired of animated movies that use talentless hacks like John C Reilly. Can you imagine Alladin used,... Tom Cruise or something?

Are you fucked?  John C Riley is far from talentless. Dude's unfortunate mug just can't get him many A-roles.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2701 on: November 09, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »

I'm tired of animated movies that use talentless hacks like John C Reilly. Can you imagine Alladin used,... Tom Cruise or something?

Are you fucked?  John C Riley is far from talentless. Dude's unfortunate mug just can't get him many A-roles.
I'll assume from the Tom Cruise comment that Yoda was joking.

I've learned to appreciate John C. Reilly over the years. I didn't like him much when all he did was show up in goofball comedies.

Taking the kid tomorrow to see Ralph. I didn't read your review, Dice, but I'll just assume that it's wrong.
; - )

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2702 on: November 09, 2012, 11:56:09 AM »

No, he's only talent is talking like a developmentally challenged buffoon. I'd rather these movies use real voice actors instead of grade-a losers.

john c reilly is best in small doses, movies like step brothers are fine too where he rides someone else's co-tails
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2703 on: November 09, 2012, 12:15:54 PM »

...I didn't read your review, Dice, but I'll just assume that it's wrong.
; - )

That's the spirit!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2704 on: November 09, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »

...I didn't read your review, Dice, but I'll just assume that it's wrong.
; - )

That's the spirit!

I'll read it tomorrow after I see the movie. I just don't want to be spoiled. You're the first person I've seen to come away with a negative, or at least mediocre, opinion. I'm picky, so I might very well agree with you. We'll see.

Playing:
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2705 on: November 09, 2012, 02:11:03 PM »

I'm still waiting to know what's the "message" of Wreck-It Ralph, Dice. :T
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2706 on: November 09, 2012, 02:41:16 PM »

I'm still waiting to know what's the "message" of Wreck-It Ralph, Dice. :T

Haha sorry.  Ralph plays a villain in his game, even though his character is quite the contrary.  Having a slight identity crisis, he abandons his game for others (probably got the gist of that from trailers or what have you).  But the main theme has to do with being comfortable in your own skin, and being yourself, and that being okay.  I thought it was a good theme anyways.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: November 09, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »

I thought John C. Reilly did a great job in Chicago.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2708 on: November 10, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »

Moonrise Kingdom -
Man, did this just ooze Wes Anderson or what? He is hellbent on every movie he makes being even quirkier(word?) than the last.
It's a simple story of a young boy and girl, both 12, I believe, who decide to run away together.
The problem I have with smart movies like this is that the incredible writing is coming out of the mouths of children who would never think or say such things. I think of my 11-year old, who is quite intelligent, and he would never act, or talk, like the kids in this movie.
I was also a bit uncomfortable(which may have been the point) when the two kids got wet and had to move about in their skivvies. Then they start getting close, and I almost felt like I should avert my eyes. I knew it would stay innocent, but it was still kind of weird.
Despite my issues, it was totally fun to watch, and had a great cast. All of the (adult) actors were perfect.
Just know that the movie is not a simple as my synopsis above. This is Wes Anderson after all.

Playing:
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2709 on: November 10, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »

Moonrise Kingdom -
[...] The problem I have with smart movies like this is that the incredible writing is coming out of the mouths of children who would never think or say such things. I think of my 11-year old, who is quite intelligent, and he would never act, or talk, like the kids in this movie.

I usually hate coming of age novels for this who do it every opportunity.  But, can't say them looking at butterflies, and talking about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (or whatever kids cartoon/hobby is in) would make a good character.  Just about every Wes flick seems to have a kid genius too. x)

If you want a sorta realistic narrative from kids, I watched Flipped (2010) that did a good job of it.  Great cast and crafty story telling (showing the same situation but with different narrators).  That is also my contribution for "Recently Watched".

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2710 on: November 10, 2012, 02:29:31 PM »

I thought John C. Reilly did a great job in Chicago.

Ditto, and Mr. Cellophane is probably my favorite number in the whole film.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2711 on: November 10, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »

Went to see Skyfall last night....

No spoilers, don't worry. I felt this movie was crappy. Too long, too wordy, and a terrible showing of what could have been a great villian and a great plot. Craig still sells Bond well, and Judi Dench's no nonsense M is still great after ....what, 9 flicks now? That being said, the plot was stale. The Bond girls were both horribly underused, though the first was an interesting swing in the end. The second girl was just awfully placed....worthless in the flick overall outside of having a sexier look than the first. There was very little in terms of action, basically 4 big scenes involving firefights and chases.

....Ok one spoiler...
Code:
How the hell do you set up a fucking bomb that opens a hole in an underground subway system in order to drop a train AS A FUCKING DISTRACTION!? Seriously fucking stupid waste of effort and resources. I mean, it's not one single car, it's an entire trai., multiple cars and conductors though no passengers, and no one died! Disappointing is an understatement.

I loved the previous 2 flicks, especially the first one. Bond was so no nonsense, and the plot just flowed along so well. This felt boring, wordy, and stiff. I will say I was surprised by the ending somewhat, but only a tad. Definitely not worth a 12 dollar ticket...

TASTY!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2712 on: November 10, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »

Wreck-it Ralph -
A very simple and fun movie that had the potential to be more than it is.
The animation is great, and I was impressed by the level of creativity. They really knew their audience (retro gamers and their kids).
I was wholeheartedly enjoying the movie until I realized that we were going to be stuck in Sugar Rush the rest of the way. Sugar Rush is the candy coated racing game that Sarah Silvermans MPDG (minus the dream) comes from. It's very well done, but I didn't expect half(or more?) of the movie to take place there. I was expecting more game world jumping than just 2. That's kind of what the trailers implied.
Still, all the voice actors were great, video game references and homages are all over the place, and the message was a good one. Sarah and Jane Lynch particularly stand out for obviously enjoying their roles.
BTW, the short before the movie, Paperman, was really sweet. I loved the animation style, too.

Playing:
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2713 on: November 10, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »

I dislike John C. Reilly, and I hate his stupid show on adult swim where he plays Dr. Steve Brule. He's an idiot who takes his entire style of comedy from the Will Ferrell book of stupid. Stepbrothers was funny only because it showed them as the idiots they are...and that chick with the creepy desire for Reilly. His serious roles aren't as bad, but he's not funny overall.

On that note, Will Ferrell is about as funny as testicular cancer, one word makes you laugh and the rest of the time you're like damn...that's just a terrible thing to laugh at.

TASTY!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: November 11, 2012, 12:14:08 AM »

I hate his stupid show on adult swim where he plays Dr. Steve Brule.

I can definitely agree with that.  To the best of my knowledge, I have never liked a single thing that Tim & Eric have ever been involved in.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 255 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: