Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 08:49:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319310 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 245 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 335385 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2715 on: November 11, 2012, 12:31:35 AM »

I hate his stupid show on adult swim where he plays Dr. Steve Brule.

I can definitely agree with that.  To the best of my knowledge, I have never liked a single thing that Tim & Eric have ever been involved in.
100% agreed. Those two really are morons. But to be honest, most of the new crap on adult swim sucks, especially the non-cartoon material. At least with cartoons, nonsense is enjoyable as it's expected. Watching Tim walk up to an employee's desk and pee in his trash can while talking shop isn't funny...it's just insulting to the human race.

TASTY!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2716 on: November 11, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »

I've never even heard of this show you guys are talking about. But I can't remember the last time I turned on the Cartoon network, to be honest.
I agree about Will Ferrell, and all his stupid movies.  I haven't found a single one of them funny. I also agree about Reilly's comedic roles.
I have yet to see Step Brothers, though.
It's Reilly's roles in "real" movies that has slowly given me an appreciation for his talent. I'm still not completely sold, though.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2717 on: November 11, 2012, 07:30:28 PM »

Magic Mike -
So here we have the dancing dude movie. I'm not sure I can properly review that portion of the movie, so perhaps any ladies around here who've seen it can elaborate on that. I CAN say that I don't really get how what they were doing would work for anyone. It was just so terribly unsexy. But women can be just as silly/rowdy(if not more so) as men when it comes to such things so what the hell do I know?
The actual story portion was a joke. Extremely generic and full of bad actors. How the hell did this get an 80% on RT?
Mike is played by bad actor extraordinaire Channing Tatum, so you know right off the bat the quality level the movie is aiming for. Oddly enough, he might have actually done the best job here. The only other guy to get any type of a character arc was Adam. The rest, including McConaughey's Dallas, were just THERE. No characterization at all. 
The most baffling part of the movie was Mikes supposed attraction for Adams sister. There was nothing attractive about her at all. Totally boring with no emotion or enthusiasm for anything. I'll chalk this up mostly to the terrible acting skills of whoever it was playing her. Awful actress. But even if she had a good actress playing her, it wouldn't have mattered due to it being a terribly written part.
I now have to point out a SPOILER, so don't read if you actually care.

Then. THEN, the movie just frickin' ENDS. We get no resolution at all. A couple minor things occurred, but the overall story is left totally hanging. I was dumfounded. It felt like they chopped off the last 20 minutes. So weird.

END SPOILER
So definitely don't get this if you're looking for a good story. Hell, I'm not sure you even want to get it for the dancing dudes. Those scenes were just odd, and even included a couple of suspect guys who I'm not sure should belong to such a group. Perhaps to get the "bad boy" angle, I don't know.
Overall, it was just pretty bad.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2718 on: November 11, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »

Magic Mike -
So here we have the dancing dude movie. I'm not sure I can properly review that portion of the movie, so perhaps any ladies around here who've seen it can elaborate on that. I CAN say that I don't really get how what they were doing would work for anyone. It was just so terribly unsexy. But women can be just as silly/rowdy(if not more so) as men when it comes to such things so what the hell do I know?
The actual story portion was a joke. Extremely generic and full of bad actors. How the hell did this get an 80% on RT?
Mike is played by bad actor extraordinaire Channing Tatum, so you know right off the bat the quality level the movie is aiming for. Oddly enough, he might have actually done the best job here. The only other guy to get any type of a character arc was Adam. The rest, including McConaughey's Dallas, were just THERE. No characterization at all. 
The most baffling part of the movie was Mikes supposed attraction for Adams sister. There was nothing attractive about her at all. Totally boring with no emotion or enthusiasm for anything. I'll chalk this up mostly to the terrible acting skills of whoever it was playing her. Awful actress. But even if she had a good actress playing her, it wouldn't have mattered due to it being a terribly written part.

So definitely don't get this if you're looking for a good story. Hell, I'm not sure you even want to get it for the dancing dudes. Those scenes were just odd, and even included a couple of suspect guys who I'm not sure should belong to such a group. Perhaps to get the "bad boy" angle, I don't know.
Overall, it was just pretty bad.

I can guarantee that my interest in this film has zero to do with the story. ;)

But thanks for the heads up anyway, I'll manage my expectation accordingly.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2719 on: November 12, 2012, 10:53:50 PM »

Skyfall -   I don't understand the orgasm train this flick is riding on, but I'll blame reviewers for what seems like them circle-jerking to it and saying hows it's "the best Bond" or "remaking the franchise".
But nevertheless, a great movie.  I was happy to see a film more focused on M; Judi Dench deserves the love.  Bond Girl #2 had way too much eye makeup half the time, but Bond Girl #1 was wonderful (name slipping, in a rush as I write this).  Good movie, and I loved Bardem while Craig was in top form.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2720 on: November 12, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »

Skyfall -   I don't understand the orgasm train this flick is riding on, but I'll blame reviewers for what seems like them circle-jerking to it and saying hows it's "the best Bond" or "remaking the franchise".
But nevertheless, a great movie.  I was happy to see a film more focused on M; Judi Dench deserves the love.  Bond Girl #2 had way too much eye makeup half the time, but Bond Girl #1 was wonderful (name slipping, in a rush as I write this).  Good movie, and I loved Bardem while Craig was in top form.
What!? This flick was so mediocre. I'll give credit to Naomie Harris (the first bond lady), and Judi Dench is always a good sell. Even Lord Voldemort was quite interesting in the movie, but the plot was so stale. Reminded me of Die Hard 4, which was bleh too. I liked the characters, especially the villian and that little...scene with bond when they first met. But the story never picked up, and Skyfall itself was a letdown (the term used itself I mean). Craig wins, but the writers should be fired.

TASTY!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2721 on: November 13, 2012, 12:02:35 AM »

I had no interest in seeing this until I just found out Lord Voldemort is in it.

I hope he's hunting Horcruxes!

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2722 on: November 13, 2012, 12:09:30 AM »

I had no interest in seeing this until I just found out Lord Voldemort is in it.

I hope he's hunting Horcruxes!

Why would he hunt horcruxes? Voldemort made them and knew where they were.

For fuck sake, have you even read the books.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: November 13, 2012, 12:44:25 AM »

You don't even hunt Horcruxes.  You lay traps for them, like lobsters.  Duh.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2724 on: November 13, 2012, 01:11:50 AM »

What!? This flick was so mediocre. I'll give credit to Naomie Harris (the first bond lady), and Judi Dench is always a good sell. Even Lord Voldemort was quite interesting in the movie, but the plot was so stale. Reminded me of Die Hard 4, which was bleh too. I liked the characters, especially the villian and that little...scene with bond when they first met. But the story never picked up, and Skyfall itself was a letdown (the term used itself I mean). Craig wins, but the writers should be fired.

The "revenge on M" plot was fantastic -- but i guess it wasn't really played up more than beyond that.... it was a murder/suicide he was going for, even despite the fancy gadgets Bardem had, the big blow up of HQ, the outstanding hacking, the publicly released videos of MI6 agents.  There was a lot of powerful material that was sort of dropped or never given that final UMPH that, by comparison, Batman Dark Knight Rises took to an 11.  And again, despite the fancy plotting, it all came down to a murder/suicide attempt...  Granted, the Cyanide bit was pretty frightening.

I found Adele's song pretty average too.  I don't get why all the reviewers are raving for it, it IS good... but short of "amazing" despite having all the ingredients for it.

Really sad Felix wasn't in this one too. :(

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2725 on: November 17, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »

Seeking a Friend For the End of the World -
I really liked the concept. And the movie was moving along pretty well with it for a while, despite some obvious early signs of where it was going. And then, of course, it falls into cliche rom-com territory. *sighs*
Here we have the odd pairing of Steve Carell and Kiera Knightley. They just look so weird together on screen. Even with them kind of making her look schlumpy(yes, it's a word), she still outshines him. Still, the pairing works ok for the story being told.
We have the world coming to an end, with no hope in sight. Poor Dodge(Carell) has lost his wife, and ends up depressingly alone for the end of the world. Carell plays alone and destitute pretty well. Too well, actually, as he never really does anything to make the audience(me) care about him. He pretty much stays the same all the way to the end. Because of this, it feels overly forced when the inevitable happens, and he and Penny fall for each other. We just don't see why she would, outside of him simply being there for her after splitting with her boyfriend. He's totally a rebound guy and he, sadly, doesn't see it.
I DO give the movie kudos for carrying through with the concept. Some of the imagery shown, and conversations had, are startlingly honest about what would indeed happen if the world was going to end in a couple days.
Unfortunately, in the end, it falls completely back on cliches and sap, taking away most of the good will it had built up previously. It's not a bad movie. It's just a bummer that the filmmakers didn't have it in themselves to try something new.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2726 on: November 26, 2012, 05:11:07 AM »

The "revenge on M" plot was fantastic -- but i guess it wasn't really played up more than beyond that.... it was a murder/suicide he was going for, even despite the fancy gadgets Bardem had, the big blow up of HQ, the outstanding hacking, the publicly released videos of MI6 agents.  There was a lot of powerful material that was sort of dropped or never given that final UMPH that, by comparison, Batman Dark Knight Rises took to an 11.  And again, despite the fancy plotting, it all came down to a murder/suicide attempt...  Granted, the Cyanide bit was pretty frightening.

I found Adele's song pretty average too.  I don't get why all the reviewers are raving for it, it IS good... but short of "amazing" despite having all the ingredients for it.

Checked this one out on Turkeyday and I generally agree with Dice except that I appreciated that they kept the overall plot within the scope they did. Because, let's be honest here, the average Bond plot tends to get way too goofy (just look at almost any given Moore/Brosman era film) and this definitely felt more centered on a more sudo-espionage level of conflict (much like an early Connery era film).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2727 on: November 28, 2012, 12:55:19 AM »

Checked this one out on Turkeyday and I generally agree with Dice except that I appreciated that they kept the overall plot within the scope they did. Because, let's be honest here, the average Bond plot tends to get way too goofy (just look at almost any given Moore/Brosman era film) and this definitely felt more centered on a more sudo-espionage level of conflict (much like an early Connery era film).

I will say, the final siege at Skyfall was fantastic... poor Aston Martin.  But I also liked Kingcade.  I was sort of confused by Bond's pretty emotional reaction to the Psychiatrists mention of "Skyfall" when he was later pretty nonchalant about it, even saying he "hates [that] place".  Anyways, I think the important thing I took from that whole thing was how much I want a secret passageway.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2728 on: November 28, 2012, 01:51:23 AM »

Season of the Witch:

Spoiler: She wasn't a witch!

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2729 on: November 28, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »

I will say, the final siege at Skyfall was fantastic... poor Aston Martin.  But I also liked Kingcade.  I was sort of confused by Bond's pretty emotional reaction to the Psychiatrists mention of "Skyfall" when he was later pretty nonchalant about it, even saying he "hates [that] place".  Anyways, I think the important thing I took from that whole thing was how much I want a secret passageway.

Code:
You know, it's unusual as hell to see Bond on the defensive like that. Especially since there hasn't been a defend the fort sequence in any of the 23 prior movies.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 245 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: