Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:22:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338111 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 385587 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2790 on: January 03, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »

So who else is ready to see Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters?
Back in "the day"(15+years ago?) I would have said "Hell, yeah!" to something like this. My tastes have changed quite dramatically since then, and I can't help but be skeptical. Very few movies like this are ever any good. I hope it is, as it has the potential to be a lot of fun. Plus, Jeremy Renner is just cool.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2791 on: January 03, 2013, 10:46:47 PM »

So who else is ready to see Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters?

Is it better than Witch Hunter Robin?

That lego lotr game is getting good reviews

You read game reviews?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2792 on: January 05, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »

The Machinist -
***/4 stars
A study in what guilt can do to someone. Deep, dark, guilt of a kind that tears at you until you just can't take it anymore.
But lets get back to the basics. First we have an almost unrecognizable Christian Bale, who apparently lost in the neighborhood of 50-75#'s for this role. It's quite startling to see.
He's really the only character of consequence in the movie, but he's quite amazing, so it works.
The poor guy has a serious case of insomnia, as well as numerous other OCD type issues. He's basically going insane.
As the viewer, we have all sorts of questions right from the beginning. Why can't he sleep? Why has he lost so much weight? Why is he driving out to the airport diner? Why? Why? Why?
I found it to be a very well-made movie, with a decent reveal of the answers, and exactly what is really going on.
Sure, there's a few things that don't make sense, or are left unresolved, but the overall story, and the message it presents, is a sound one.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:10:14 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2793 on: January 08, 2013, 05:36:36 AM »

^ I hated the hell out of that movie but it's been so long since I've seen it I couldn't tell you why
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2794 on: January 12, 2013, 04:24:53 PM »

Goodfellas -
I finally saw this movie after putting it off for years. Basically, the same situation as what happened with The Godfather. I pretty much have ZERO interest in gangster movies, but I DO have interest in movies that are supposed to be great. So I put them in my queue and keep shuffling them around.
Well, I finally decided to see it. So what did I think?
No doubt it was a great movie. Damn good performances from everyone, and a decent, although not at all relatable, story.
I was a little surprised by the violence, though. I wasn't expecting that.
And then there's the utter repugnance of Joe Pesci's character. I didn't even like him in that "bad guy" sort of way. I was SO happy when he got whacked. Totally deserved it.
I don't like that Henry Hill managed to skate away from all this just for ratting everyone out. He should just have served a few less years in prison.
Plus, I don't buy for a second the accuracy of this movie pertaining to real events. I never believe any movie claiming to be "based on a true story". That's why I prefer to avoid them. I get distracted by thinking about what's really true and what's been Hollywoodized.
Anyway. Good movie. Glad I saw it finally.

Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2795 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »

So I watched The Hobbit. Despite a initially having a crappy feeling that they cashed in big time by making three movies I enjoyed this a lot. It's been a long time since I've read the book, so I can't really say what's been added in but I thought the movie had good pacing. Having been bummed by "meh" reviews I was very guarded about this. But as soon as the thing started I was caught up in the awesome production values. The excellent attention to detail from LOTR is back but even more refined. This movie is a stunner and technically awesome. The characters are pretty solid too, for the most part. I'll watch Martin Freeman eat a ham sandwich though, for Pete's sake.

I like the slow reveal of Smaug too. I can't remember if the Necromancer was in the hobbit...or not. In fact I'm not angry about the addition of extra material at all. They're excellent storytellers and will do everything justice.

I was pleasantly surprised with The Hobbit myself.... I didn't think I was going to dig it at all considering it was my least favorite of Tolkiens writing.... and to top it off the appeal of Middle Earth seemed to have wore out entirely to me after the recent years of excessive LOTR media.... but I was totally wrong! In fact, I liked it enough to erroneously run out and purchase the terrible Lego LOTR game right after.... I was sucked in! Baited.... fell for it... and middle earth took me for another 60 bucks damnit.... but that movie was absolutely worth my time :)

The Hobbit is a pretty great film. Jackson definitely lived up to his prior entries into Middle-Earth, but at the same time improved upon what wasn't so hot in the trilogy, namely getting rid of some overthetop character archetypes like the often too silly rivalry between Legolas and Gimly. At any rate, Martin Freeman played an excellent young Bilbo, and the whole company of dwarves was quite solid as well. My only complaint there is that a couple still looked a touch too human, but that may just be a symptom of them being "young dwarves"

Yoda, the necromancer was in the book. However, it was Gandalf that went and discovered him, not Radagast, but I guess they wanted the latter to have a more profound role. Most of the added stuff is still legit too, since it's in the errata. The main antagonist, though, is altered somewhat, but doesn't really take away from the tale.

Django Unchained

One reason I'm always happy to be a fan of Tarantino is that for the most part he's always able to deliver a really solid film.  Django is no exception.  It's what happens when you mix the action of Kill Bill vol. 1, and the talkity-talk of Kill Bill vol. 2, and while you don't get it in the same extremities as those two films did, the end result is still an incredibly satisfying Western film... heck, probably the best since True Grit, and....fuck... Tombstone (I'm your huckleberry) before that (either way, it brought life to a certainly dying genre).

The performances were perfect.

YUP.

People who like Westerns and action and great acting should watch this film. Christoph Waltz, man, does he ever inspire me to be a better actor. Jamie Foxx did a stellar job in his role too, conveying his emotion and tension wonderfully. The whole flick is a genuine good time, but probably one of the best stories Tarantino has ever told, in my opinion. I mean, I really liked Kill Bill and Inglorious Bastards, but this tale spoke with a lot more genuine emotion and commitment. Sorry, that's the best way I could word my thoughts.

I mean, Django Unchained still has a fair amount of Tarantino's tongue-in-cheek moments, but they really didn't take me out of the film like they have in the past. I really like how the tale was told, how the actors conveyed it, and it also has a really rad soundtrack too, in my humble opinion.

Again, go see this film if you don't mind a bit of blood. And let me stress that although its bloody, its not gory. Rare are the moments that you're are forced to see the wounds, rather you just see the overthetop by product. And it is so over the top that your brain immediately goes to a place of "this is like a comic book or cartoon" and desensitizes you, reminding you that its all pretend. Fret not, you only have to see Foxx's junk.

Just Greg, thanks.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2796 on: January 13, 2013, 08:51:16 PM »

Ronin Gai -
My quest to see every Samurai movie ever made continues! Here we have a movie about the end of the time of the Samurai. No one seems to want or need them anymore. Due to this they while away their days doing menial jobs, and getting plastered on Sake.
The movie isn't really that good. We get the usual ridiculous sword fighting at the end, but otherwise it just drags. Bummer.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2797 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34:52 AM »

Once again, The Wrestler is an awesome movie.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2798 on: January 14, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »

Insidious

Friends recommended this to me but I didn't really like it. First half was ok but it seemed to really go downhill in the later half. Hopefully Sinister is better.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:30:34 AM by Darilon » Logged

Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2799 on: January 17, 2013, 10:58:33 PM »

Just saw 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time.  (I have the book on hand, too, to read later.)  I can now feel better knowing how many times Futurama (and to a lesser extent The Simpsons) parodies the film. :P

Seriously, though, I was very impressed with the visuals (it's Kubrick - no surprise) and frankly, I found the slow pacing to be quite brave and quite unexpected.  I could not imagine a modern sci-fi film getting away with that.  Quite impressive overall and I'll make sure to watch it another time or two before I return the blu-ray to the library.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2800 on: January 19, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »

Killer Joe -
This is one of those black comedies that takes awhile to reveal that it's a black comedy. All the characters play it perfectly straight up until the end.
This movie can be quite disturbing at times. Like when I learned how old Dottie was. I made the stupid assumption that she was legal. Should have known better.
Matthew McConaughey is pretty darn good here. Mostly because the roles forces him to play Mr. Cool for most of the movie. He does it well.
The "family" scenario going on in this movie is appalling, and yet, I realize this is not unheard of in the real world. Might even be common for all know.
Then we have the complete idiot Chris, played by Emile Hirsch. He does a great job, but MAN, did I hate him.
The comedy aspect started to show itself when it was revealed how much the insurance policy was worth. Then we have the characters talking about getting "rich". from it. I suppose all things are relative, but come ON.
The final scene is just crazy, and is a total reveal on what the movie was meant to be right from the beginning. I even watched a screening Q & A with the actors and director afterwards because I wanted to hear them explain themselves.
This is good entertainment but be aware that this was released in theaters as NC-17. My "unrated" Blockbuster version was cut a tad, but was still pretty graphic. Language, violence, full nudity, etc.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2801 on: January 20, 2013, 11:51:09 AM »

Rock of Ages -
For all intents and purposes this is a terrible movie. Bad acting(Julianna Hough and the dude-bro mooning after her), corny story, ridiculous situations, etc. But the thing IS, they KNEW this. The movie is supposed to be corny, and stupid. I'm 99.9% sure that's what they were going for. Well, maybe except for the aforementioned 2 above, but they are hardly the reason to sit through this.
What makes this kind of fun to sit through is the crazy performances by the likes of Tom Cruise, Catherine Zeta Jones, Alec Baldwin, etc. accompanied by a ridiculous amount of nostalgia inducing 80's music.
I'm a movie snob most of the time. I admit that. And yet I found this terrible movie mildly enjoyable(It happens sometimes. I recall kind of liking Priest, which was also a bad movie). I can understand why some others might not.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: January 20, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »

I also enjoyed Rock of Ages, and I definitely agree that they were aiming squarely for corny.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2803 on: January 20, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »

Saw Life of Pi. It was good.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2804 on: January 21, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »

Lara Croft - Tomb Raider -
I avoided this for a VERY long time. Finally, I decided just to allow it to be sent to me. If only to get it over with. And it TRULY is getting it over with. I'm not even sure I would have liked this as a teen when I liked all sorts of bad movies.
This is like a Steven Seagal flick combined with 1% of Indiana Jones and maybe a little of The Mummy.
I suppose Angeline Jolie looks the part, but she's not terribly appealing. Nor is anyone here. I was especially amused when Daniel Craig showed up. At least he moved on to bigger and (much) better things.
The whole damn thins makes no sense and is no fun at all. Simple as that. Terrible movie.

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: