Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:29:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335244 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 259 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 381106 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: February 20, 2013, 10:01:04 PM »

That she is.

On Stephen Tobolowsky's podcast, he talked about working with her one time, and if I remember correctly, he said that when they were doing some promo shots ahead of time, she seemed like a wide-eyed small town girl just getting her first taste of the bright lights.  But then when they actually started doing the acting, she was unbelievably awesome and focused and intense.  Like she had just been lulling him into a false sense of security before the game started.  He loved it. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2866 on: February 20, 2013, 10:04:10 PM »

I loved her in Just Friends, one of few memorable aspects of that film.

Also, I like her better than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrVoJgQ7u8w who I feel I need to bring up.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2867 on: February 21, 2013, 12:35:50 AM »

Watched Warm Bodies a while back with a lady friend. It wasn't terrible.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: February 21, 2013, 12:43:01 AM »

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall.

Haha - I've actually seen that entire series ("Faerie Taile Theatre" or some such odd spelling).  Her intros did get kind of annoying, but she had great guest stars in a lot of episodes.

Ashton - I heard from someone today that they really liked the first half, but hated the second.  Was that your impression too, or was it just kind of meh all the way through?

—Kurt Vonnegut
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2869 on: February 21, 2013, 12:45:18 AM »

That about covers it. The second half was boring rom com drama. The first half actually had some fun and chemistry. It was never super witty but it elicited a few chuckles and that was enough for me. Plus, seeing a zombie say "Bitches, man" made me laugh more than it should have.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2870 on: February 21, 2013, 01:22:24 AM »

Also, I like her better than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrVoJgQ7u8w who I feel I need to bring up.

Did you not see my break down when I posted that very video on these forums???

I just got over my compulsive need to introduce myself as Shelley Duvall to strangers.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2871 on: February 22, 2013, 12:11:44 AM »

Did you not see my break down when I posted that very video on these forums???

I just got over my compulsive need to introduce myself as Shelley Duvall to strangers.

I really admire the way that she can introduce herself in the exact same pitch and tone every time. And I still can't get over how much she looks like one of my sisters.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:14:04 AM by (Tunnels) » Logged
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2872 on: February 22, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »

Safety Not Guaranteed -
This was a simple, fun, and quirky movie that I hadn't even heard of a week ago. I saw a preview for it in front of 21 Jump Street, and I instantly put in in my queue. I'm glad I did.
The movie starts off with a pretty bizarre premise, and never really gives up on it, which was kind of unexpected. Sure, it still fell into some more typical rom-com trappings, but it never FELT like a rom-com. That's a good thing.
I had never heard of Aubrey Plaza before, but find her to have an interesting aura about her. She's not all that great of an actress(not bad, just not great), but  she demands your attention. Doesn't hurt that she's totally hot, either.
Actually, acting wise, I didn't find anyone in particular to be that amazing. It felt very "indie" in that regard. Like these were interns with their first big break. For some reason though, this only seems to add to the charm of the movie.
I did find one of the "side" stories here completely unnecessary. Especially considering how it's resolved.
I also found the ending a bit odd. Not bad, just not what I was expecting out of this quiet little movie.
Overall, this was a nice little surprise. I love discovering small gems like this. Gives me  a dash of hope for the future of film making.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2873 on: February 22, 2013, 10:11:32 PM »

^^ The movie was weird, and I found in the end, it wasn't terribly memorable.  It was quiet, and a lot I felt almost unnecessary (I didn't really get the B plot with her editor and Arnau  -- I was working on a project, so maybe I might have missed the bigger movie behind their pot and the film's overall theme and meaning, so....maybe it's my bad).  Aubrey is an interesting actress, a good aura like you said, somewhat naturally melancholic too almost (or at the very least, typecasted as such between Scott Pilgrim, Parks and Rec, and Funny People).

Curious though:
Code:
I don't know if I was reading it wrong and since they don't really answer it, do you think the reason Kristen Bell was alive and well was because Kenneth was able to save her??  I read it that way, the movie tries to make him look whacky, but I did think that he had saved her but chose to stay with Darius instead.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2874 on: February 24, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »

^^ The movie was weird, and I found in the end, it wasn't terribly memorable.  It was quiet, and a lot I felt almost unnecessary (I didn't really get the B plot with her editor and Arnau  -- I was working on a project, so maybe I might have missed the bigger movie behind their pot and the film's overall theme and meaning, so....maybe it's my bad).  Aubrey is an interesting actress, a good aura like you said, somewhat naturally melancholic too almost (or at the very least, typecasted as such between Scott Pilgrim, Parks and Rec, and Funny People).

Curious though:
Code:
I don't know if I was reading it wrong and since they don't really answer it, do you think the reason Kristen Bell was alive and well was because Kenneth was able to save her??  I read it that way, the movie tries to make him look whacky, but I did think that he had saved her but chose to stay with Darius instead.
Aubrey was new to me because I didn't remember her from Scott Pilgrim and I haven't seen those shows. I didn't know she had a schtick, but it comes across as normal for her.
Code:
The idea that Kenneth had actually saved her hadn't even occurred to me. That's weird. It makes total sense, though, and adds a bit to the ending.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2875 on: February 24, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »

Aubrey Plaza is FOYYYYYYNE (fine)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2876 on: February 24, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »

Aubrey Plaza is FOYYYYYYNE (fine)

Yes, she is.

Troll Hunter -
Just when you think found footage movies have gotten beyond stale, a movie like Troll Hunter comes along to remind you how fun they can be.
I loved this movie. I loved the the slow build. I loved Hans, who keeps his cool the whole damn time, even under insane circumstances. I loved the scary moments, which are better in this non-horror movie than most horror movies I've seen the past few years.
We knew next to nothing about our students, which makes them not that great of characters, but I was perfectly ok with that.
The title makes it obvious what we are in for, but the reveal is still awesome all the same. It IS a little unbelievable that these people would repeatedly put themselves into dangerous situations just for the sake of a story. Or perhaps simple curiosity.
The "Are you a Christian?" business was funny because it made absolutely no sense at ALL. The fact that every plays it straight makes it even better.
I just love monster movies, so I may have liked this more than I should have. Your mileage may vary. But I still think it's a great movie that almost anyone could enjoy. Yes, even with the constant shaky cam. Trolls!

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2877 on: February 28, 2013, 12:36:57 AM »

Relevant to recent Die Hard discussion.  I hope it's real.  I love foreign names for American films.  The French version of "The Departed" was called "Agents Troubles".  It was darling.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2878 on: February 28, 2013, 01:10:05 AM »

Relevant to recent Die Hard discussion.  I hope it's real.  I love foreign names for American films.  The French version of "The Departed" was called "Agents Troubles".  It was darling.

Shoes are serious business.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: February 28, 2013, 01:19:14 AM »

In case anyone hasn't seen it: the trailer for Die Hard 12 (from the short-lived Ben Stiller show).

I looked around, and I don't think I've posted it here before, even though I feel like I have.  It's awesome, and Ben Stiller does a surprisingly good John McClane.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:21:23 AM by Tooker » Logged

—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 259 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: