Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 04:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331877 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 256 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 369731 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2880 on: February 28, 2013, 01:59:56 AM »

In case anyone hasn't seen it: the trailer for Die Hard 12 (from the short-lived Ben Stiller show).

I looked around, and I don't think I've posted it here before, even though I feel like I have.  It's awesome, and Ben Stiller does a surprisingly good John McClane.

For a second there, I thought you were referring to Ben Stine, which lead me to wonder if you were referring to something besides those clear eyes commercial, that one game show, and a few bit parts in a few movies where he might have had the opportunity to play as somebody other than Ben Stine (the answer, thankfully, continues to be no, he didn't).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: February 28, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »

Yippee-ki-yay, Mister Bueller.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2882 on: March 01, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »

Into The Wild -
This is a tough one. After watching this, I was curious, so I googled Christopher McCandless. He's quite the polarizing figure. I know I should just review the movie at hand, but I can't help but also comment on what this guy really did.
The movie itself is pretty schizophrenic. I found it confusing, at times, to figure out the order of things. I had to piece it together in my mind after turning the movie off.
It's a very quiet film. There's no crazy drama or heart-stopping action scenes. Just a contemplative journey by a young fellow who thought he knew better then everyone around him. I can relate to this. Or at least part of it. People ARE far too reliant on technology. People DO need to get "back to nature" and understand this world we live in more. It's just the way he did this goes against all common sense. Especially for such a smart guy. He was so determined to get away from it all, that he threw sense out the window. There's nothing wrong with wanting to go on an Alaskan adventure. Just BE PREPARED. Honestly, He's an idiot for not doing this, and paid the ultimate price.
Emile Hirsch is the only character that counts here and he does a fantastic job. I still don't think he's the world's greatest actor or anything , but he certainly gained a lot of respect from me with this role.
Everyone else play their parts just fine. Especially the trippy dippy hippies played by Catherine Keener and Brian Dierker. I tell ya, that life looks like torture to me, though. I just don't get how anyone could live like that. *shivers*
Then there's the total lack of respect for his family. He couldn't even send them an anonymous postcard letting them know he was ok? It never occurred to him how much worry and stress they would be going through? I get the rough life he had growing up, but come on. That was a dick movie right there.
I did like the movie, and being a very thoughtful, contemplative person myself, I could relate to Christopher in many ways. I just found it to be a bit too long, and a tad disjointed.

afterthought: I've never been a huge Pearl jam/Eddie Vedder fan, and that didn't didn't change after watching this, but I did think his music fit the movie well. The main theme was pretty decent. I'm glad they(Penn?) didn't try and shoehorn some bold and brassy Hollywood type soundtrack on to it. Good call, Penn.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2883 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:51 PM »

thoughtful and contemplative.

I choked a bit there, thanks for the laugh!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2884 on: March 02, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »

thoughtful and contemplative.

I choked a bit there, thanks for the laugh!
That was a jagload reaction, Yodes. You don't know me in real life, so you can't comment on such a thing. You think I'm going to spill all my personal guts all over an rpg board? Or anywhere on the internet? You have to remember, a HUGE portion of my life is my family and my garden. Two things that I speak very rarely of around here, but have the greatest influence as to who I am in life. Everything else is secondary. Sheesh, man. Let's keep it to movies.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2885 on: March 02, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »

See grim, that statement, "you don't know me in real life", is sort of a lame comment. Is it to say that you're ju#t acting when you're posting comments here? Are you saying that in real life, you don't like video games, don't watch movies, and everything else you've ever stated here is essentially a lie? I wouldn't say we're best buddies, but about 60% of the posters here are frequent and personal enough that I could easily associate how they appear here as their real life persona. That would go for me as well, how I type words out is how I speak normally, and my overall foul mouthed yet jolly nature is pretty standard. I don't see why anyone here would be completely different, or even somewhat different from how they portray themselves here. Yeah, I don't know your birthday, favorite color, or how long you and your wife have been together, but iirc, your son is 7 or 8 now, you're very devoted to him and your lady, and you're trying to be a good family man, which means you're a pretty normal guy. Yodes is a wiseass, has a pretty solid sense of humor, and is definitely the ballsy one in situations that call for it.

I'm not giving a character analysis for everyone here, so get that thought gone right now.

I'm not trying to insult you grim, but the fact that you wanna say we don't know you irl is a pretty dick statement, cuz I'd say we know you as well as a pal would, or a work friend you get drinks with on a friday night. Maybe I can't recite your childhodd history, but I can sure stand up for your character as an obersavnt, insightful, and pretty cool guy.

TASTY!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2886 on: March 02, 2013, 05:03:04 PM »

I think a lot of us think we are thoughtful and contemplative people, we just don't say it. Or is that just me? :P

It's a lil bit arrogant but I don't see the need to jump down anyones throats over it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: March 02, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »

I think a lot of us think we are thoughtful and contemplative people, we just don't say it. Or is that just me? :P

It's a lil bit arrogant but I don't see the need to jump down anyones throats over it.

I try to not be any more comtemplative than I have to be. ;)

And yeah, my vote would be for "let's let this whole thing drop right now and get back to talking about movies."

—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2888 on: March 02, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »

The ONLY reason I said that is because of the tone of the movie, and how the main character is presented. I would never actually tell someone that. You're right. It DOES sound arrogant, even if it's true.

I know Yoda is just being Yoda, but his reaction bothered me, because you really can't get those things from posts on a game board. Of course everything I post is genuine, but how often do we have topics that cover our thoughts on life, the universe, and everything? Why people act the way they do? Our connection with nature, and all living things? On what we see and think when looking up into the sky or staring at the sun? On where we came from, and where we are going? I may be a total goober, but I think about these things every day. I have conversations with my (12 year old, btw) son every day about pretty heady stuff just like this. It's probably the most amazing and satisfying part of my life that I am able to do this. No one else in my life, including my wife, is interested in having these kinds of discussions.
I think TOO much. Sometimes I wish I could turn it off for a little while. Games and movies help.
I may be a dick about certain topics on occasion(music especially), but please don't EVER accuse me, or laugh at the notion of, not being thoughtful or contemplative. Please.
I never realized that line would cause such a fuss. I agree with Tooker about getting back to movies.
I'll be watching Breaking Dawn Part 2 with my wife tonight. That should make for an interesting review.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2889 on: March 02, 2013, 08:20:31 PM »

I watched a movie!

Grey Gardens

(The '75 doc, not the '09 one with Drew Barrymore and  Constance Sister Jude Jessica Lange)

One of the reviewers on Amazon described the movie as being hypnotic, and I absolutely agree. I can't say a whole lot without blatantly plagiarizing what other people thought of the movie, except that I kind of expected going into the movie to not like Little Edie Bouvier Beale and wanting to laugh at her, especially considering I was watching it in preparation for watching a celebrity impersonation of her. However, what emerges from the film is a true character study of two people who seem to have some sort of mental instability, but who are also genuine and multifaceted. I felt a little bad while watching it because of my initial expectations. Very fascinating documentary, I really recommend it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:35:18 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: March 02, 2013, 08:31:13 PM »

I'll be watching Breaking Dawn Part 2 with my wife tonight. That should make for an interesting review.

Oh man - you have my sympathies.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2891 on: March 02, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »

Well, I can understand the quick bite at yoda's comment, but I still felt the one comment was...honestly just douchey. We all share so much information here, it's hard not to think I know  a few of you personally. But tooker's right, movie topic is back to movies.

Saw The Five-Year Engagement...yeah it was waaaayyyyyy too long. Had some funny ha ha moments, but it was being too serious for a romantic comedy. I like Emily Blunt and Jason Segel, and they worked well together, but the plot was stale. Don't bother with it, it's been done too many times and much better elsewhere.

TASTY!
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2892 on: March 02, 2013, 09:57:13 PM »

The BEST way to watch any Twilight thing is w/ Rifftrax.

Or if you're dragged to the movie theater w/ a hot Filipina
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: March 02, 2013, 10:34:56 PM »

Random sidenote, I told a filipino friend of mine that he and a couple of girls we work with have convinced me that there's nobody unattractive in the Philliipines.  He laughed and said "No, there are.  It's just that all the good looking filipinos all leave and come here." ;)

—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2894 on: March 02, 2013, 10:41:33 PM »

Negative. I'm a nurse and work with a TON of Filipino females. Like any group they have their hotties and their notties. Most of the ones at my work are NOTTIES. The most attractive asian females at my place are either Japanese or Korean.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 256 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: