Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 03:01:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327202 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 252 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 352173 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2910 on: March 04, 2013, 02:15:15 AM »

Why has everyone here seen Twilight?

It honestly never even occurred to me to actually sit down and watch them...

I haven't, but after seeing the movie trailer for The Invasion of the Host Snatchers (or whatever that movie written by the same clown who wrote Twilight that's coming out in a few days is called) I feel totally justified in my assumption that it is a waste of badly written time. (Because seriously. Who the hell starts off a trailer with the statement "We are the last two humans on Earth and in Love because this is the future and aliens have invaded"? Who the hell says "This is the future" in any inner monologue that doesn't involve time travel!? :rant:)

It made that trailer for the Witches Love Story movie that came out recently look good by comparison, nevermind the Zombie Love Story movie trailer which was actually entertaining compared to the both of those combined (and I'm completely burnt out on zombies).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2911 on: March 04, 2013, 05:59:27 AM »

The Host has me torn. On one hand, its based on a book by Stephanie Meyer, on the other hand, its written/directed by Andrew Niccol who is one of my favorite writers in Hollywood.

Lord knows why the hell he chose this book to adapt. Then again, I know nothing about it. I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, but...it's freaking Stephenie Meyer.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2912 on: March 04, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »

The Host has me torn. On one hand, its based on a book by Stephanie Meyer, on the other hand, its written/directed by Andrew Niccol who is one of my favorite writers in Hollywood.

Lord knows why the hell he chose this book to adapt. Then again, I know nothing about it. I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, but...it's freaking Stephenie Meyer.

Andrew Niccol is a good director for sure and his name attached to this ensures that I will watch it at some point, but In Time was not very good so I have my doubts now.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2913 on: March 06, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »

Relevant to the Twilight discussion.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4uuGvmAxTI

I approve of this nonsense!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2914 on: March 08, 2013, 12:03:26 AM »

Relevant to the Twilight discussion.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4uuGvmAxTI

Also relevant:  Everything Wrong with the First Movie in 6 Minutes.
http://youtu.be/ghPsLcuLHHU

Ranges from nuances, to continuity, to stupidity.  I'm particularly fond of the bonus round that has Mortak Kombat and Sonic's ring-collecting "ding" for every time Bella "breathes" a line or scoffs.

Fun clip series anyways

EDIT: the Dark Knight Rises "CinemaSins" is awesome x)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:41:05 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2915 on: March 08, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »

Driver -
The opening of this movie is amazing. The mood it sets, the mystery, the driver. I was hooked from the start. It kind of reminded me of a Michael Mann film. Collateral in particular, which is a very good thing. The movie manages to keep this mood for a respectable amount of time before falling into all too familiar, and oddly violent, territory. If only they had elected to stick with what they started with. Feels to me like they(the director? producer?) lost their nerve, and shoehorned in the tried and true for fear of losing their audience.
Despite this, Driver still ends up being a pretty darn good movie. I loved the "feel" of the movie, from the lighting and cinematography, to the soundtrack.
Ryan Gosling, who I've barely seen on film due to him doing nothing but garbage films, plays stoically menacing really well here. Almost too well at times.
Carey Mulligan is the requisite love interest, and plays her part just fine. I'm not too fond of her as a blonde, though.
It's when Albert Brooks and Ron Pearlman's roles expand that the movie starts to lose it's way. Both play stereotypical roles that each of them have played numerous times before. I was bummed when I realized where the movie was headed, as I didn't think it was THAT type of film.
STILL. This is worth it for Goslings Driver, some great chase scenes, and just see get a look at a well made film.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2916 on: March 08, 2013, 09:09:29 PM »

^ I liked it enough to be excited for the next book--- well, movie.  I'd like to see it happen (Driven? I think it's called).

And by god, if some of the deaths in that movie were brutal, made worse by how subtle everything else is.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2917 on: March 09, 2013, 12:58:15 PM »

Saw Super. A great movie that was simultaneously horrible.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2918 on: March 10, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »

A History of Violence -
A great movie that would have benefited from another 30 minutes to answer all my questions! I was surprised when it was over, as I had forgotten about the relatively short run time.
What's here, though, is quite riveting.
We have a quintessential family man with his beautiful wife, played fantastically by Maria Bello, and 2 children. They live in a small town where everyone knows each other and takes care of each other. Tom runs a local diner.
The movie sets all this up so perfectly well. I was really wondering when and how things were going to go bad, as the title suggests.
Well, Tom foils a robbery attempt of his diner, becoming a local, and national, hero in the process. This triggers the arrival of some old friends who set the REAL story into motion.
Viggo is amazing here. He plays an everyman perfectly, but is also believable when he is forced into a different role.
I just wish the movie explained that role a bit better! So much is left to our own imagination that it really kind of hurt the story. I like it when a movie allows for interpretation, but a little more back story would have been nice. Same thing on the ending. I have a hard time accepting what happened and the end result. It was like I was suddenly watching Liam Neeson in Taken.
I have more spoilerrific thoughts and questions, but I'll leave them out for now. If anyone wants to chat about it let me know.
Overall, a fantastic film, with terrific acting,  that really left me thinking.

Playing:
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2919 on: March 15, 2013, 08:28:58 PM »

Knowing -
What a horrible film. I couldn't count the amount of times I facepalmed while watching this.  We have all this scientific jargon being thrown around, but zero logic being used by those doing it. And no real good explanation for ANYthing.
And why are all the actors/actresses in this so wooden and awful? Even Nic Cage playing Nic Cage seems off. The kids are especially hard to watch.
The whole thing with the sun was just so assinine that I had to stop myself from laughing out loud. Somehow the whole collective scientific and astrological community missed what  John the college professor puts together in a matter of minutes. Riiiiight.
And what's up with that ending? What the hell were those dudes? Angels? And please don't tell me those were supposed to be arks? 2 of everything? GAG.
I really can't think of anything redeeming here. I guess the cg of New York burning up was kinda cool. But that's about it.  To think that Roger Ebert gave this dreck 4 stars. What the hell, man?!

Playing:
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2920 on: March 15, 2013, 09:07:23 PM »

Speaking of dreck, I accidentally caught the last 5 minutes of the first Live Action Scooby Doo movie.

Yep, still an infected/festering boil on the face of the entertainment industry. I don't even think that upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie could be that godawful.

Although watching that induced a sudden realization. Your average shonen anime/JRPG protagonist has the exact same personality traits as Scrappy Doo (moar liek Crappy Poo, amirite?).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: March 15, 2013, 10:01:41 PM »

On the upside, you weren't watching the SECOND live action Scooby Doo movie, in which Scrappy actually appears.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2922 on: March 15, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »

On the upside, you weren't watching the SECOND live action Scooby Doo movie, in which Scrappy actually appears.

Nope. I'm pretty sure it was the first since that was the one my family went to see as my mom is a huge fan of Scooby Doo. After getting horribly burned on the movie though my mom has all but ignored anything Scooby Doo related made past 2000. And that was where the bad guy was Scrappy Doo in some animatronic suit (ala what's his face from TMNT) trying to kill the gang because nobody liked him or took him seriously because he was completely obnoxious in every show he was in because he'd always try to pick a fight with whatever spook of the week was chasing the gang despite being less than a foot tall when standing on hind legs, which almost always ended with the gang ending up in deeper Doo Doo due to having to fish Scrappy out all the goddamn time. He's basically the cartoon equivalent of a Chihuahua and just as kickable.

But you're right. It was Scooby Doo 2 where, instead of trying to kill everyone in an animatronic suit, he hulked the fuck out and tried to kill everyone (which was the one I watched).

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: March 15, 2013, 11:24:51 PM »

Oh, well, if you were watching the second, then you have my condolences, as it is even worse than the first.  The one bright spot of those movies for me is that Matthew Lillard seems like a pretty cool dude, and Shaggy was a dream role for him.  I thought he did a pretty good job in the part.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2924 on: March 16, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist -
There's not much to say about this one. It played out pretty much exactly the way I thought it would. It's a silly, but kind of fun hipster kind.of movie.
Michael Cera plays Michael Cera in every movie he makes. I'd like to see him not play Michael Cera.
Kat Dennings is totally yummy, and a decent actress, so her presence made this worth watching.
Not bad. Not great. Just a simple movie with some fun parts and some ridiculous parts. I'd probably only recommend it if you are fond of either Kat or Michael Cera playing Michael Cera.

Playing:
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 252 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: