Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 05:39:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327347 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 252 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 352891 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3045 on: June 27, 2013, 01:12:06 AM »

Man of Steel:

Aside from two annoying girls that were sit behind me salivating all over Superman's body and the people crying about the fight scenes, this is one of the best experiences I've had with a superhero film.

Also Antje Traue as Faora really stole a big chunk of the movie for me. I never expected to like her character so much.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3046 on: June 27, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »

Brave is a bit of a mixed bag.  It IS impressive, but I got too much of that 90's Disney vibe with the classic "misunderstanding" and "magical curses" (especially the one seen in that movie) are played out pretty predictably.  A shame since the movie had just about everything else going for it.

I just watched it and can see what you mean. That said, I really liked the mother - daughter story over the typical prince princess one. Hell, it is probably the first princess movie that I watched that had no love interest at all in it.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3047 on: June 27, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »

Brave was fun
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3048 on: June 27, 2013, 03:38:27 PM »

Brave is a bit of a mixed bag.  It IS impressive, but I got too much of that 90's Disney vibe with the classic "misunderstanding" and "magical curses" (especially the one seen in that movie) are played out pretty predictably.  A shame since the movie had just about everything else going for it.

I just watched it and can see what you mean. That said, I really liked the mother - daughter story over the typical prince princess one. Hell, it is probably the first princess movie that I watched that had no love interest at all in it.
But what it DOES have is SO much better!
Code:
A fucking clumsy ass BEAR!
Take that out and the movie would have been better. So much potential wasted.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3049 on: June 27, 2013, 10:37:28 PM »

Code:

That.  What Grim said.  It was a fun movie, but for a strong, non-marriage- no-nonsense lead, meh....

I remember the earlier plot talking about how "a single wish/event can change your destiny".  I didn't expect it would involve a cartooney bear fumbling about and where Merida's strength and independence is spent babysitting her mum.

Compare that to the adventures both Wall-E (who chased his robo-love into space and managed to bring humanity back to Earth) and Carl from UP (who went to chase the adventure both he and his wife longed to) and....yeah, there's hardly a comparison at all.

Tangled kept my interest more and the main heroine did it with 50 feet of hair and a love-interest still...and fucking singing...and attacked with a frying pan.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:39:07 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3050 on: June 27, 2013, 11:53:20 PM »

I loved the departed.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3051 on: June 28, 2013, 12:51:08 AM »

I watched Before Midnight tonight.  Not that I expect a lot to know it here, but it's probably the only indie-drama/romance/comedy to spawn a 'threequel'.  Third time was a charm too, it's an almost perfect trilogy.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3052 on: June 28, 2013, 12:57:44 AM »

I've heard rave review for that trilogy from a local late nite AM radio guy

I usually trust him.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3053 on: June 28, 2013, 02:22:59 AM »

Code:

That.  What Grim said.  It was a fun movie, but for a strong, non-marriage- no-nonsense lead, meh....

I remember the earlier plot talking about how "a single wish/event can change your destiny".  I didn't expect it would involve a cartooney bear fumbling about and where Merida's strength and independence is spent babysitting her mum.

Compare that to the adventures both Wall-E (who chased his robo-love into space and managed to bring humanity back to Earth) and Carl from UP (who went to chase the adventure both he and his wife longed to) and....yeah, there's hardly a comparison at all.

Tangled kept my interest more and the main heroine did it with 50 feet of hair and a love-interest still...and fucking singing...and attacked with a frying pan.

I felt similarly as well, in that I would've figured the movie would've done something to the entire kingdom rather than just the queen. However, it was a nice subversion of the usual "Fucked up you have; you have fucked up now!" in that the results only really affect the lead and her mother. Still felt a bit too Freaky Friday-ish for my tastes though.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3054 on: June 28, 2013, 02:26:27 AM »

I've heard rave review for that trilogy from a local late nite AM radio guy

I usually trust him.

I recommend it, if you have a movie-buff lady friend, I'm sure she'll mush a bit for it (or rather, anyone you've been in a relationship for at least a little).  Either way, I completely recommend, even if not for the fact that all three movies walk you around 3 beautiful European cities; the conversation in it is delightful (as entertaining as Tarantino, but a lot more...um, practical).

I felt similarly as well, in that I would've figured the movie would've done something to the entire kingdom rather than just the queen. However, it was a nice subversion of the usual "Fucked up you have; you have fucked up now!" in that the results only really affect the lead and her mother. Still felt a bit too Freaky Friday-ish for my tastes though.

I'd actually be happy if the "freaky friday" plot and the "it never happened/it was all a dream" get filed for at least a 40 year ban till someone sits on the idea long enough to make it good and fresh again.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3055 on: June 28, 2013, 10:20:28 AM »

Red Dawn remake was pretty much a waste of my time.

Everything's Eventual
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3056 on: June 30, 2013, 12:23:10 AM »

I watched Before Midnight tonight.  Not that I expect a lot to know it here, but it's probably the only indie-drama/romance/comedy to spawn a 'threequel'.  Third time was a charm too, it's an almost perfect trilogy.
I love the Before series (although that is a dumb way to title them), the idea behind the Before Sunset as a sequel seperated by 9 years is genius and with great actors it worked out too. This series is a big reason I"m a fan of Richard Linklater as well as School of Rock, A Scanner Darkly and others. I still haven`t seen Before Midnight since the big chain theatres didn`t start showing it until this week, but I`m looking forward to realistic adult drama filmed in a not entirely realistic way. Dice have you heard of Linklater's film Boyhood? It also has Ethan Hawke and was filmed over 12 years to give the characters realistic physical and emotional growth. It's supposed to be done in 2015.

Red Dawn remake was A MASSIVE waste of EVERYONE'S time.
There fixed for ya!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:58:56 AM by Jotacon » Logged

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3057 on: June 30, 2013, 08:49:03 PM »

Just watched This is the End. I actually loved the movie and thought it was hilarious although I could see how the humour in it would not be for everyone.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3058 on: July 03, 2013, 11:50:02 PM »

Office Space. No explanation necessary..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3059 on: July 05, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »

Take Pirates of the Caribbean, swap out the pirates and sea monsters with cowboys and indians, and you more or less have The Lone Ranger, which I went to see yesterday.

Basically, its like a later (but still pre-90s) Pink Panther movie except that the movie's Inspector Cluesou is only bumbling and not a moron, which alongside Johny Depp being a ham and those "strange horse" jokes were probably the highlights of the movie. Seriously, it deserves props just for avoiding the trap that the Green Hornet dove right into and made the protagonist more than a wad of Zapp Brannigan levels of glory stealing, moronic, jerkiness (although it did help that the only competent people in the movie ended up dead by the finale). That said, the unreliable narrator was both a hindrance and a help for the movie as it helped justify some of the goofiness of the movie, but the disjointed nature and occasional interruption/derailment really didn't do a lot to justify having a narration that isn't revealed that the end and the time spent on the interruptions/derailments could've been used to patch some of the plot holes (like how they found where the dynamite was hidden, or the lack of a meaningful conclusion to the 'become what you battle' subliminal message).

The tl;dr is that its a serviceable movie but not really anything more than that.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 252 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: