Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332705 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 256 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 371196 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3060 on: July 06, 2013, 04:07:35 AM »

Just watched This is the End. I actually loved the movie and thought it was hilarious although I could see how the humour in it would not be for everyone.

It was everything I was hoping it'd be; and that's still in tune with what you said about it, not for everyone.  Damn happy ending though. :P

Office Space. No explanation necessary..

PC Load Letter...?

Take Pirates of the Caribbean, swap out the pirates and sea monsters with cowboys and indians, and you more or less have The Lone Ranger, which I went to see yesterday.

The tl;dr is that its a serviceable movie but not really anything more than that.

Yeah, not even the trailer could sell it too well.  It looks fun though, and I'm a fan of westerns so....

Anyways.

Chronicle.
AKA: Well now... that escalated quickly.

I don't know how I missed this, cuz it did really well in the box office, and it's kind of hard to review. 
Basically 3 teens get psychic powers and things start good, then less good, then bad, then really bad.
The film was surprisingly dark and the "cam footage" gimmick used throughout the movie was surprisingly well-used, but takes two steps back with a lot of bad CGI (which really hurts a film that's pretty dependant on it).  Definitely a lot of shockers throughout, a lot of unexpected turns, and even somewhat scary/creepy.

I do recommend it though, it's extremely different and worth a view based on that (and it's always fun to see people use super powers  we've wished at LEAST once a year to have).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3061 on: July 08, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »

Closer -
This is a movie with a great cast doing great things, but that's falls apart as a cohesive whole. All 4 principals are fantastic, and this is really worth it just for the exchanges and writing. It's obvious the director/writer were trying to say something about marriage, infidelity, lust, and how it all turns your life upside down, but it just didn't all gel by the end for me.
I would still call it a good movie. Wonderfully shot, written, and acted. Special props to Natalie Portman for doing what she had to do for the part. Damn.

The Bridge on the River Kwai -
Wonderful movie. It could have benefited from a bit of editing, but it it all adds to the slow burn to the end. I realized, as the end was drawing near, that there was no possible way for it to end well for everyone. I was still shocked, and saddened, by the ending. Such a parable for life.
Brilliant acting by Guinness. I'm so glad I've gone back and seen some of his films prior to Star Wars. For far too many years he was simply Obi Wan Kenobi.
I mark this down 1 star for the improper music used for certain scenes. I imagine they were trying to say something, but to me it simply didn't work. Especially in the end. I also thought the scene where they released Nicolson from the "oven" was way overdone.
Overall, a fantastic film that is about so much more than a bridge being built. Essential viewing for any movie lover.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3062 on: July 09, 2013, 01:51:44 PM »

Caught "The Watch" over the weekend. I don't like Ben Stiller much anymore, HATE Vince Vaughn, and dislike Jonah Hill (he's ruining fat people across america), but this movie was quite funny. The other guy made that movie hilarious. It's just silly antics and stupidity that I love, so if you like that nonsensical toilet humor, watch it.

TASTY!
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3063 on: July 09, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »

I recently saw Oz the Great and Powerful... I really wish I hadn't. Fucking terrible. Poorly written; poorly scripted; poorly paced; poorly acted. I like most of the actors in it, but they couldn't save it for me. On the flip side of that, Kunis was incredibly unconvincing as her character (as usual). The iconic wicked witch's laugh doesn't even match her stupid voice. Who the hell cast her in this role???

It's also hilarious how high quality the special effects are, but the costumes/clothing  all look simple and cheap.

This film is a terrible affliction upon the Oz universe. Yes, even worse than Return to Oz. Do NOT see this movie. It honestly felt like we were watching a made for TV movie, and a pretty crappy one at that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:03:51 PM by natros » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3064 on: July 09, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »

HEY HEY HEY

I loved Return to Oz. >.>

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3065 on: July 09, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »

HEY HEY HEY

I loved Return to Oz. >.>

Well, I was going to mention The Wiz instead, but then I'd just look like a racist.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3066 on: July 10, 2013, 12:54:15 AM »

After being a lifelong fan of scifi, of intricate stories, of things Japanese, of metaphysical, and spiritual I finally watched Akira.

I can't describe how much I loved this story and movie. The first 1/2 hour really suck you in and the progression throughout is perfect.

It's a rare thing to experience something that leaves such an impression.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: July 10, 2013, 01:56:19 AM »

It really makes you understand why it had a big impact when it first came to the US.  As I understand it, Akira almost single-handedly brought anime to US attention.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3068 on: July 10, 2013, 03:12:50 AM »

I remember watching it as a teen for the first time - there was literally *nothing* else like it out at the time.

It was just so ..... unique.

Movies and scifi in general at the time it came out weren't that great - Star Trek TNG was just starting to get good......and that was about it.

It was a perfect storm of right time and an audience ready for something different.

Watched Man of Steel.

Fucking terrible. Not even comparing to the Reeve movies. It's just a joyless, soulless piece of shit.

Zack Snyder makes terrible films.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3069 on: July 10, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »

Speaking of Akira, I hope the live action version stays in development hell, and eventually dies a horrible, horrible death. It would suck balls, and be over-Americanized, just like the other pointless anime -> live action films out there. The original Anime is a pinnacle... an achievement. It's legacy should be left alone.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3070 on: July 10, 2013, 02:17:06 PM »

PACIFIC RIM Poster by Yoji Shinkawa (METAL GEAR series Illustrator/Designer):

Hideo Kojima gives Pacific Rim heartfelt endorsement -- Source: TheHDRoom
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3071 on: July 10, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »

Speaking of Akira, I hope the live action version stays in development hell, and eventually dies a horrible, horrible death. It would suck balls, and be over-Americanized, just like the other pointless anime -> live action films out there. The original Anime is a pinnacle... an achievement. It's legacy should be left alone.

I actually think the Ghost in the Shell series could lend itself well to an adaption....  but the fact these sorts of things (animated source > real life) get so goddamn altered for whatever the hell reason makes me agree -- a lot of these should be put to death and let them be "rebooted" within their current media.  It's a shame because I'd LIKE to think it'd be a cool thing to see some awesome animated fiction done as live action (I guess for the same reason I love amazing looking cosplay).

Which reminds me, prequel episode for GitS ARISE was pretty damn good.  The Batou fight was quite exciting.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3072 on: July 10, 2013, 03:13:40 PM »

That is totally bad ass. Can't wait to see that movie. My son and I are going Saturday afternoon.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3073 on: July 10, 2013, 04:08:26 PM »

I actually think the Ghost in the Shell series could lend itself well to an adaption.... 

I agree that is potential for a good sci-fi action romp. Closest I can think of now is The Matrix.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3074 on: July 10, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »

That is totally bad ass. Can't wait to see that movie. My son and I are going Saturday afternoon.

Holy hell.. they should just use that as official promo imagery for Japan. x)

I actually think the Ghost in the Shell series could lend itself well to an adaption.... 

I agree that is potential for a good sci-fi action romp. Closest I can think of now is The Matrix.

I also like to think which film makers might do material justice.  The Wachowski siblings might be an interesting choice for a GitS adaption.

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 256 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: