Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 12:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334402 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 257 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 374215 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3180 on: August 07, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »

As much as I liked District 9, I have trouble going back to it ....mostly for the scenes where Wikus is 'falling apart'.  I am like the most queasy person ever, Parasite Eve 1's FMV still gross me out and that shit looks horrible.

And maybe it's the Director or writer or whatever, but I also found District 9's "message" pretty obvious.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3181 on: August 07, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »

I have to mention that the medical scenes for Elysium were horrific. Not because of the blood, but because that was the dirtiest operating room I'd ever seen. I was cringing.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3182 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:09 AM »

I have to mention that the medical scenes for Elysium were horrific. Not because of the blood, but because that was the dirtiest operating room I'd ever seen. I was cringing.

Haha reminds me of my dentist who got annoyed with Rise of the Guardians' Tooth Fairy x)

I also remember a movie that mentioned an operation and "going through the back/spine".  I'm not doctor, but that sounded weird to me.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3183 on: August 07, 2013, 11:47:43 AM »

There are lots of back/spine operations. For example, for scoliosis!!

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3184 on: August 07, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »

There are lots of back/spine operations. For example, for scoliosis!!

Hah hopefully it was that, just never heard of "going through the spine" then for anything other than fixing[?] it. 

EDIT: I just imdb'd it, it was cardiac surgery.  Does it ever happen then?

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3185 on: August 07, 2013, 12:00:01 PM »

Heart surgery? Yeah, it happens.

Surgery for the heart through the spine? I believe they do those sort of surgeries... in North Korea. To traitors of the glorious leader.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3186 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »

Heart surgery? Yeah, it happens.

Surgery for the heart through the spine? I believe they do those sort of surgeries... in North Korea. To traitors of the glorious leader.

Aaaand I let out a really stupid giggle from that

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3187 on: August 07, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »

natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3188 on: August 07, 2013, 12:27:11 PM »

As much as I liked District 9, I have trouble going back to it ....mostly for the scenes where Wikus is 'falling apart'.  I am like the most queasy person ever, Parasite Eve 1's FMV still gross me out and that shit looks horrible."message" pretty obvious.

Then you must be a huge fan of Goldblum's transformation in a certain movie named after a winged insect. It's a thing of beauty, it is.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3189 on: August 07, 2013, 11:45:31 PM »

I saw The Wolverine tonight.

I liked it overall, and I understand why they made the changes they did to make it gel with the movie universe.

I just really missed the "man vs. animal" conflict that the comic explored, and thought that was the one thing that the movie was really lacking.

It was one of my favourite parts of the comic.

I was watching the movie and the longer I watched it, the cuter Rila Fukushima got.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3190 on: August 08, 2013, 10:18:50 AM »

Watched Sinister last night. It was decent. Good acting, and the first half was pretty scary. However, like most modern scary movies, it started off strong, and ended weak. Once the children started showing up, it became much less scary, and even kind of lame. The actual ending was pretty twisted in a good way, though.

Of course, I can't speak for everyone, but I personally think movies are much scarier when the "evil entities" don't get too much screen time. It's better when their presence is implied, more than outright shown. Insidious is another example that has the exact same problem. Starts off strong. Gets stupid once the paranormal investigators show up, and the evil things get much more screen time. It totally cheapens the fear factor.

I think it's what you can't fully see or understand that makes and keeps a movie creepy, IMO. Like the first time you watch Blair Witch or Paranormal Activity (except for the very, very end when Katie comes at the camera - LAME).
Hell, even the Woman in Black does it right. I think that movie is creepy as fuck all the way 'til the end, and it's honestly because the "Woman" doesn't get too much full-on screen time. I wish more modern scary movies would be like that.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3191 on: August 08, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »

Have you ever watched Event Horizon? I really liked that, exactly for the reasons you stated. If you haven't watched it yet, it's like $5 on Blu Ray.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:34:09 AM by Ashton » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: August 08, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »

My wife says the exact same thing about scary movies - and she loves scary movies.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3193 on: August 08, 2013, 12:26:29 PM »

Have you ever watched Event Horizon? I really liked that, exactly for the reasons you stated. If you haven't watched it yet, it's like $5 on Blu Ray.

Yes sir! That is an excellent flick. Like you said: Proving that what you can't see, or fully understand is what's most scary. Especially considering that all of that is going on way the hell out there in space, where no one else is around. The video recording from the old crew is especially disturbing, in an excellent way. Hard to believe that movie is 16 years old already...

My wife says the exact same thing about scary movies - and she loves scary movies.

Smart woman ;). Seriously, though. Scary film makers could save tons of money on special effects, and totally crank up the fear factor by largely keeping the evil entities in the shadows. Personally, the idea of ghosts and hauntings are much more scary to me than some ding dongs running around with barely effective make up.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3194 on: August 08, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »

Ditto on Event Horizon. There were some parts I didn't care for, but overall a solid creepy film.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 257 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: