Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 05:53:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329437 Posts in 13496 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 255 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 361116 times)
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3240 on: August 24, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »

Hansel & Gretel - Witch Hunters

Wanted to see this for some time. It's like the Expendables, in that it's just meant to be campy good fun, and not to be taken as a serious Oscar contender. If you go into H&G knowing that, you will most likely enjoy it. It's entertaining throughout. The big sell for me on it was/is Jeremy Renner. I love that dude. Plus, the lead actresses do well, and are hot, to boot. The film makers did a great job on the looks of the dark witches. Menacing and creepy. I love that they all fly on brooms!
The fight scenes could have used better camera work and choreography, but they're not terrible, like some certain 80s ninja movies I know... Special effects are also not the best you'll see, but they get the job done. One thing I thought was funny is that this movie takes place in Germany, but only one person speaks with a German accent. I guess you can't expect that kind of attention to detail with this kind of film, but it's something that stood out to me, nonetheless.

Like I said, if you are down with movies that are just meant to be silly fun/guilty pleasures, you may very well enjoy this one. IMO, it's way better than that awful, terrible film about witches known as Oz the Great & Powerful.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3241 on: August 26, 2013, 10:59:19 AM »

^ I'm real iffy on X-men universe stuff.  First Class was awesome, and I love watching the rest provided my brain is shut off -- then I enjoy the hell out of it.

The Karate Kid. (2010)

For all intents and purposes, this is a better film than the original.  
Something about learning Karate (emphasis on "karate") from Jackie Chan definitely seems like a "better" choice given the man has a long, long, long history with martial arts, choreography, and stunts; the overall "gravity" of his lessons felts more real, more plausible, and for lack of better words, more legit.  I found his "tragic backstory" a lot deeper than Miyagi's.  Little Will Smith Jr. performed admirably enough (the flirting was surprisingly intense for a goddamn 12 year old), but I especially loved the shitty bully that was bent on making his ass miserable.  Damn he was a great evil punk!

NEVERTHELESS.  It's hard to forget the wonderful-tasting cheese that is the 1984 film.  The villain's are laughably entertaining, Danny's a lot of fun, and Mr Miyagi makes me want to find an old Japanese man to befriend.  But it is hammy, and it is cheesy.  It's a fun and "classic" film that's hard to forget.

PS:  Good touch on making Kid Smith wear the Bruce Lee shirt.... given Jackie and the former Karate legend's history together.

Speaking of ham....

RoadHouse

omg, I *loooove* this movie for same ham and cheese as Karate Kid.  I love Swayze being this almost perfect man, I love that the bar he bounces is like.....seriously the shittiest place with the shittiest people on earth, I love that the villain is just a big prick, and I laugh that Swayze's girlfriend is kinda ugly.  The flick is basically everything I wanted it to be.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3242 on: August 26, 2013, 10:53:10 PM »

You've been quietly watching some of the bestworst movies ever.

Now hopefully after seeing Roadhouse you can appreciate this from 30 Rock:

In another scene his hat said "got it" but that's harder to search for
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3243 on: August 26, 2013, 10:54:10 PM »

The World's End -
This was a fun movie. It had lots of laughs, bizarre set pieces, and some good performances. So why did I not enjoy it as much as past Wright/Pegg/Frost films? Maybe because this type of story feels slightly played out after Shaun and Hot Fuzz? Or was it simply because Pegg plays a totally obnoxious character that I couldn't relate to in any way?
Even the setup just doesn't work for me. To knock back a beer in 12 different pubs in one night. To do the "Golden Mile". I like beer(ale,cider,lager) well enough, but I can only drink exactly ONE in any given night. That's it. And I'll drink that one beer over the course of an hour. So what they are attempting here just boggles my mind.
The expected twist comes later than I feel it should have. The movie is oddly long, or at least feels like it. It might be due to the process of traveling from pub to pub.
What surprised me was all the extended action scenes. Based on the premise(which I'm not sure everyone knows about, so I'm trying to be vague) I expected some confrontation, but not such elaborately choreographed scenes. They could have cut them all in half, and we wouldn't have lost anything from the story.
I know it sounds like I'm doing nothing but pointing out the negatives, but that's only because of how much I love almost everything Simon Pegg has done. The guy's a geek rockstar. I was expecting just a little bit more out of this. Maybe my expectations were too high.
Negatives aside, I still enjoyed it. It's just not an instant classic like Shaun of the Dead.

Prozac Nation -
This movie made me very much dislike Christina Ricci. Or her character, at least. And I KNOW that was the point, but MAN, she makes the whole thing almost unwatchable.
The movie really doesn't have much of a story besides us following along as Lizzie flips out over stupid little things, and tells people that HER problems and HER life is like nothing anyone else has ever experienced. Riiiiiiight.
Supposedly, this is based on a true story. I feel for this woman's friends and family.

The Haunting in Connecticut -
Totally cliche haunted house movie. Except it has a boy(teenager) with cancer who is seeing things in the new house they moved into. We are supposed to wonder if it's real or the drugs he's on.
The movie expects us to buy into far too many implausible things. Especially considering it's "based on a true story". I hate seeing that tag line on any movie, but especially so on a horror movie. Ghosts don't exist. Hauntings aren't possible. It's all in their freaking heads! And yet I enjoyed The Conjuring, but not this movie. The difference is how the characters are portrayed. Well written characters can make me "believe" at least in the world of the movie. This movie simply didn't do that.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: August 26, 2013, 11:50:51 PM »

Hansel & Gretel - Witch Hunters

I'd ditto what you said.  Just watched this one a few days ago for the first time, and had fun with it, even though plenty of things about it don't make sense/are dumb. :)

I felt kind of the same way about The Incredible Burt Wonderstone.  There are definitely stupid things about it (Jim Carrey's character is depressingly one-dimensional, for example), but I still enjoyed it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3245 on: August 27, 2013, 01:19:54 AM »

The World's End -
This was a fun movie. It had lots of laughs, bizarre set pieces, and some good performances. So why did I not enjoy it as much as past Wright/Pegg/Frost films? Maybe because this type of story feels slightly played out after Shaun and Hot Fuzz? Or was it simply because Pegg plays a totally obnoxious character that I couldn't relate to in any way?
Even the setup just doesn't work for me. To knock back a beer in 12 different pubs in one night. To do the "Golden Mile". I like beer(ale,cider,lager) well enough, but I can only drink exactly ONE in any given night. That's it. And I'll drink that one beer over the course of an hour. So what they are attempting here just boggles my mind.

I think the thought process behind that is the same as the thought process of going through an arcade looking to set the high score on every machine in the joint.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3246 on: August 29, 2013, 09:44:14 AM »

Elysium

I liked the movie. Certain parts bugged me such as certain characters voices but otherwise it was a fun watch. Kruger was great and the highlight of the movie for me.

Shrek Forever After

Not a big fan of this one. I can't explain why either, it just felt flat.

Puss in Boots

Loved it. I actually really enjoyed the first Shrek movie, mostly because it felt different that other fairy tale stories I saw. Puss in Boots accomplished the same thing and was extremely enjoyable. Humpty Dumpty was extremely creepy completely going into the uncanny valley.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3247 on: August 29, 2013, 10:23:23 AM »

Your inability to understand why people like and enjoy things you do not continues to impress this humble horsemaster
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3248 on: August 29, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

Your inability to understand why people like and enjoy things you do not continues to impress this humble horsemaster

This has nothing to do with my usual nonsense. This is just idiocy. 12 PINTS in one evening? That's pretty much suicide, isn't it? If they were just visiting them and drinking a little in each, that would be fine. The goal is to drink a whole pint in each pub. 16 x 12 pubs = 192ounces over the course of 4 hours or whatever. Nuts.
If they we're watching 12 baseball games, or spending 12 hours watching racing, I might not understand, but I'd roll with it. The difference here is consumption. Can you knock back 12 pints in a night, Yodes? Would you try? Probably not, as I don't see you as a stupid fellow.

Playing:
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3249 on: August 29, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »

Eh, I've done 12 pints in one evening lots of times.  Not necessarily at 12 different pubs, but it's not hard at all to reach that number.

natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3250 on: August 29, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »

but I can only drink exactly ONE in any given night. That's it. And I'll drink that one beer over the course of an hour.

Shame on you for letting an unfinished beer last that long.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3251 on: August 29, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »

I could do 12 mint Baileys in one night :D (small glass, not pints 0.0)

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3252 on: August 29, 2013, 09:54:23 PM »

Eh, I've done 12 pints in one evening lots of times.  Not necessarily at 12 different pubs, but it's not hard at all to reach that number.
And you haven't checked yourself in yet?
; - )

Playing:
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3253 on: August 30, 2013, 04:33:44 AM »

It's a damn movie. That's like not enjoying king of kong because you can get into classic games.

In the movie where people turn into weird aliens or whatever and light shoots out of their mouths and eyes you're hung up on how many drinks a functional alcoholic can have in a night.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3254 on: August 30, 2013, 04:57:10 AM »

And you haven't checked yourself in yet?
; - )

Checked in to what?

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 255 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: