Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 12:10:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329372 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 254 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 360858 times)
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3270 on: September 13, 2013, 11:04:39 AM »

Men in Black 3

Don't know if I would call it a good movie but I liked it a lot more than the second one. It was probably the cheesiest movie I have seen in a while but what do you expect from a MIB movie. Don't regret watching it at all.

I recently watched the first MIB, and I have to say that the third one pretty much falls in line with it. As you said, it's definitely better than the second. I didn't buy Lara Flynn Boyle at all.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3271 on: September 16, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »

End of Watch -
I thought a lot during this movie about how how accurate it is. Because if this is truly a representation of what's it like being a cop in L.A., then I have much respect for anyone who signs up.
This is done found footage style, and while I grow weary of it, it works really well here.
We follow our cops into some pretty scary situations, and almost always with unpleasant outcomes.
The only issue I had was the portrayal of the Mexican gang. They almost come off as a parody of themselves with how hardcore they play it. Once again, if there truly are people out there like this(and sadly, I know there are) then we all need to figure out what the hell is going wrong out there.
This ended up an unexpectedly  powerful movie.

Killing Them Softly -
This was a very...different...movie. Very stylistic and deliberate. I could understand why some people may not like it, and I'm still not even sure if I did. Pitt is awesome here as the hitman out to kill the low rent criminals who dared to rob a mob card game. He's very disciplined and menacing, but also very human. Hence the movie title Pitts character explains: “I like to kill them softly, from a distance. Up close they cry and beg and piss themselves. It gets emotional and messy.” I don't quite know why James Gandolfini's character was even in the movie, as all he did was fill up space. I guess his presence allowed us to get to know Jackie better, but that could have been done without him. On top of all this, we have the message. We get to hear both Bush and Obama talk about the economy, and how hard things are, but also how kick ass America is in spite of it all. Jackie gives an awesome response in regards to Thomas Jefferson that I'd rather not spoil. With this as a backdrop to mobs and murder, this is a very dark and cynical movie. It probably wasn't the best movie to watch right after End of Watch, but that's how they were sent to me. Between these two movies I saw far too much gritty and realistic violence over the course of 3 nights. This is the type of movie that may benefit from repeat viewings, but I don't do that. Still, I see what they we're going for, and it certainly left me thinking.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3272 on: September 16, 2013, 01:55:18 PM »

So I finally got around to checking out Logan's Run the other day, and holy hell, I knew Squeenix borrowed liberally from this movie for FFXIII-1 but I didn't realize just how much of the movie's plot structure they swiped almost wholesale (like to the point where the changes only really involve concessions to allow videogame mechanics and anime logic in place of 70s Sci-Fi tropes and stuff like bombed out Statues of Liberty and what have you).

Anyways, outside of the hokeyness of being a 70s Sci-Fi (the lead actor's performance, several of the set pieces looking like they belong in a shopping mall (who the hell here remembers those?), and the futuristic city kinda failing at not looking like a tabletop model not helping matters), the subject matter was interesting at least (although they could've done more in regards to the effects of bottling up a society and the stagnation that typically results) and they handled the internal workings and day-to-day life stuff fairly well (even if most explanations basically boiled down to "This somehow runs off of so&so but I don't think anybody really remembers the specifics anymore."). The ending was complete shast though.
Code:
The central main motherbrain computing CPU unit blows up at the first wrong assumption getting proven taking the whole city with it and then you wonder why anyone would consider hiding out in what is effectively a ticking time bomb (even if it was the trope to blow up supercomputers by throwing a curve-ball at it was rather prevalent back in the day).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3273 on: September 18, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Dice had mentioned that she liked this movie, so out of curiosity, I looked it up real quick-like. Sounded interesting, and I liked the main actors, so I had Netflix schlep it to my mailbox.
Wifey & I really enjoyed it. It's kinda like a whodunnit/film noir comedy with a modern twist. Don't want to mention anything regarding the plot, cuz I don't want to give anything away accidentally.
It's well scripted, with a lot of witty dialogue, and very well acted. RDJ and Val Kilmer have great chemistry, so their scenes together are always entertaining and funny. The story is a good one, and keeps you guessing. It's one of those kinds of plots where nothing really makes sense in the beginning, but it slowly comes together as the movie progresses.
Great film. Highly recommended.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3274 on: September 18, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Dice had mentioned that she liked this movie, so out of curiosity, I looked it up real quick-like. Sounded interesting, and I liked the main actors, so I had Netflix schlep it to my mailbox.
Wifey & I really enjoyed it. It's kinda like a whodunnit/film noir comedy with a modern twist. Don't want to mention anything regarding the plot, cuz I don't want to give anything away accidentally.
It's well scripted, with a lot of witty dialogue, and very well acted. RDJ and Val Kilmer have great chemistry, so their scenes together are always entertaining and funny. The story is a good one, and keeps you guessing. It's one of those kinds of plots where nothing really makes sense in the beginning, but it slowly comes together as the movie progresses.

Yeah, I loved that movie. Very smart. You fail to mention one very important aspect of it, though: Michelle Monaghan. Yowza.

Playing:
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3275 on: September 18, 2013, 02:19:38 PM »

From Up On Poppy Hill -  I thouroughly enjoyed it.  It was a slice of life kinda movie, but I'm a sucker for  movies depicting innocent first love.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3276 on: September 18, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »

Yeah, I loved that movie. Very smart. You fail to mention one very important aspect of it, though: Michelle Monaghan. Yowza.

Yaaay, I did good!! :D
And yeah, she looks awesome in that movie.  Before Iron Man hit huge, I think KKBB was supposed to be RDJ's big "comeback film" -- but it underperformed or wasn't marketed right...  Ah well, not that it matters by this point, but I def think Kiss Kiss is still "underviewed" by many speaking how unique it really is (mystery and noir is also a 'forgotten' genre, IMO).

I [finally] watched a classic:  The Great Escape.
Loved it, start to finish. 
At the same time, it feels like movies like this can't be made anymore; I'm not talking about redoing a classic, just a sort of "dramedy" about escaping a Nazi camp doesn't feel like it would fly in this day and age unless there was a director willing to throw in explosions or make it at least 10x more violent than it was (IMO, less was more I think, the "violent scenes" with The Mole and Bartlett were plenty). 

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3277 on: September 18, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »

Yo, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is so good. Shane Black is a super talented writer, he is the reason that Iron Man 3 was so good (fuck the haters).

I saw The Art of the Steal at a pre-screening. It was pretty rad. It was funny and the script was really tight, there were a number of things that don't seem to make sense, but are cleared up in the reveal that are pretty awesome. It was, for better or worse, still just a heist movie, but I thought it was pretty good. Also it's a Canadian movie (partiotism points) and it's got Kurt Russel, Jay Baruchel and Matt Dillon.

Bad stuff - the women are basically non-entities or whores and the movie does quite a few lies by omission that I didn't like. It works for the twist, but it isn't "fun".

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3278 on: September 19, 2013, 01:47:23 AM »

Silent Hill: Revelations.

This movie met my expectations. I expected it to suck.
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3279 on: September 19, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »

Yaaay, I did good!! :D
And yeah, she looks awesome in that movie. 

I [finally] watched a classic:  The Great Escape.

Not the biggest fan of Monaghan, but i'll admit she did look fantastic in this one.

I've been meaning to watch the Great Escape. Thanks for reminding me to add it to Netflix. Now that I think about it, I've never seen Bullitt, either...
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3280 on: September 20, 2013, 08:27:36 AM »

Saw Equilibrium last night. It's a Christian Bale flick from about 10 years ago. It's about a future dystopia in which people are not allowed to have feelings. They take chemicals/drugs in order to suppress their human emotions, because it's law. Emotion causes murder and war, so they won't have any of that. Kind of a neat premise, although it feels like an idea from decades ago. Bale's character is what I guess you would call a top level enforcer, tasked with bringing down pockets of "resistance" (people who feel, and want to take down the emotionless regime). He has never felt emotion in his life, but some events that transpire cause him to deflect from that...
It's not bad. Not the best or most exciting film you will see, but it held my interest throughout. The premise and plot remain interesting. Bale really makes the movie work. I think if it were a lesser actor, it would not have been that good. He does a great job of someone who is... "waking up" from total apathy, and becoming awash with emotion.
The special effects are a bit cheesy, and the action scenes are lifted straight from The Matrix (including the associated music), but they aren't enough to ruin the movie or anything.
Overall, it's decent.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3281 on: September 21, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »

Oldboy

Wow

Wow

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: September 21, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »

Wow indeed.  Having read the plot summary online, that's one of those that I don't think I need/want to watch.

I saw The World's End the other day.  Enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't love the very ending.  I felt like Gary didn't learn anything. :(

Watching The Fantastic Mr. Fox right now.  It's good... if you like Wes Anderson movies.  And I do. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3283 on: September 21, 2013, 06:25:17 PM »

Wow indeed.  Having read the plot summary online, that's one of those that I don't think I need/want to watch.

I saw The World's End the other day.  Enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't love the very ending.  I felt like Gary didn't learn anything. :(

Watching The Fantastic Mr. Fox right now.  It's good... if you like Wes Anderson movies.  And I do. :)

The Wolf at the end of Fantastic Mr. Fox killed me.  That, and that stupid sport they play.

Divide that by 9, please.

I'm actually *kiiinda* looking forward to the American-remake of Old Boy (if "The Departed" taught be anything, it's never to judge an American remake).  Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for Josh Brolin for some reason....iunno

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3284 on: September 21, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »

I didn't like the ending to TWE, either. For the same reason.

Fantastic Mr. Fox was great.

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters -
This was really bad. Pretty much right from the start. And not even in the "so bad, it's good" kind of way. It's like the people responsible couldn't make up their minds what they wanted to do with the concept, so they mixed it all together, and hoped that no one would notice how incoherent it was.
Considering how good he's been in other roles, it's almost painful watching Jeremy Renner in this. He has this look like he knows he's involved in something awful, but just had to see it through.
Gemma Arterton, who I don't recall seeing in other roles, is just ok, acting-wise. She's attractive, but in a more down to earth kind of way, which I liked.
The movie felt oddly forced into it's R rating. There's a lot of (bad) CG blood and guts, and some misplaced F bombs. I actually think it would have been better cut down to PG-13.
This could have been silly fun. I believe the concept(see title) could actually be done right. Too bad this turned out so far from it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:18:43 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing:
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 254 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: