Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 01:22:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340955 Posts in 13935 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 266 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 392677 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3285 on: September 21, 2013, 10:28:55 PM »

Gemma Arterton is ridiuclously hot, and she was in the Prince of Persia movie.

Anyone watch Riddick yet? Really wanna see it still, but movie money is rare and movie theater is so far away.....

TASTY!
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3286 on: September 22, 2013, 01:54:59 PM »

Did you really like Pitch Black? Because the back half of the movie is just Pitch Black. The intro is a very contrived, but gives a reason for why Riddick is alone on a deserted planet. That part is WAY more interesting and fun then the rest of the movie. Overall Riddick wasn't bad, but it really could have strived for a lot more.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3287 on: September 22, 2013, 10:30:44 PM »

Yeah Riddick is like Pitch Black just not as good.  Don't get me wrong, it is still enjoyable.  If money is tight just watch Pitch Black again. 

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3288 on: September 23, 2013, 12:06:54 AM »

Yeah Riddick is like Pitch Black just not as good.  Don't get me wrong, it is still enjoyable.  If money is tight just watch Pitch Black again. 

So did the end reveal that
Code:
Riddick
was the bad guy all along again?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3289 on: September 23, 2013, 12:17:08 AM »

Aww.  He's just misunderstood.
Anyways I say Riddick is like Pitch Black as opposed to the 2nd movie which I felt was a totally different animal.

Watched Epic today.  The fruit fly joke got me laughing out loud.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:18:54 AM by CluelessWonder » Logged

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3290 on: September 23, 2013, 05:53:21 PM »

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters -
This was really bad. Pretty much right from the start. And not even in the "so bad, it's good" kind of way. It's like the people responsible couldn't make up their minds what they wanted to do with the concept, so they mixed it all together, and hoped that no one would notice how incoherent it was.
Considering how good he's been in other roles, it's almost painful watching Jeremy Renner in this. He has this look like he knows he's involved in something awful, but just had to see it through.
Gemma Arterton, who I don't recall seeing in other roles, is just ok, acting-wise. She's attractive, but in a more down to earth kind of way, which I liked.
The movie felt oddly forced into it's R rating. There's a lot of (bad) CG blood and guts, and some misplaced F bombs. I actually think it would have been better cut down to PG-13.
This could have been silly fun. I believe the concept(see title) could actually be done right. Too bad this turned out so far from it.

Haha wife and I loved it, as I stated in my review from pages back. I thought it was a lot of fun to watch. It's one of those where you'll only be screwing yourself if you expect anything more than a goofy flick. We were also most likely 420 at the time, which I'm sure helped.

Side note: I remember reading an article in which Renner was quoted as having a ton of fun filming it, so maybe the discomfort you saw in his face was slight constipation, or some other personal ailment.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3291 on: September 23, 2013, 06:48:20 PM »

This was really bad. Pretty much right from the start. And not even in the "so bad, it's good" kind of way. It's like the people responsible couldn't make up their minds what they wanted to do with the concept, so they mixed it all together, and hoped that no one would notice how incoherent it was.
Considering how good he's been in other roles, it's almost painful watching Jeremy Renner in this. He has this look like he knows he's involved in something awful, but just had to see it through.
Gemma Arterton, who I don't recall seeing in other roles, is just ok, acting-wise. She's attractive, but in a more down to earth kind of way, which I liked.
The movie felt oddly forced into it's R rating. There's a lot of (bad) CG blood and guts, and some misplaced F bombs. I actually think it would have been better cut down to PG-13.
This could have been silly fun. I believe the concept(see title) could actually be done right. Too bad this turned out so far from it.

Haha wife and I loved it, as I stated in my review from pages back. I thought it was a lot of fun to watch. It's one of those where you'll only be screwing yourself if you expect anything more than a goofy flick. We were also most likely 420 at the time, which I'm sure helped.

Side note: I remember reading an article in which Renner was quoted as having a ton of fun filming it, so maybe the discomfort you saw in his face was slight constipation, or some other personal ailment.

oh man i want that kinda married life....

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: September 23, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »

Says the girl celebrating an anniversary with her boyfriend...

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3293 on: September 23, 2013, 08:28:28 PM »

Generally, Nan and I are VERY open to cheesy horror flicks and such. We watch a new one every Saturday night. We watch http://svengoolie.com/ on a regular basis.
I knew going in it was going to be weird, which is why we wanted to see it. We tried to like it, but it was just fighting us tooth and nail. It's just plain bad. More power to you for finding something redeeming in it.

My Dinner With Andre -
This can hardly even be called a movie, as it's nothing more than a conversation between two old friends over dinner. And yet what a conversation! The writing here is fantastic, and results in an incredibly full and thought-provoking film.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3294 on: September 23, 2013, 08:37:55 PM »

Does that make 12 Angry Men not a movie? :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3295 on: September 23, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »

Does that make 12 Angry Men not a movie? :P
I didn't say it wasn't. It's just incredibly minimalist. Quite daring in a way.
12 Angry Men was a great movie.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3296 on: September 26, 2013, 08:45:22 PM »

The Graduate -
This kind of left me feeling a bit let down. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the movie as a whole just didn't live up to it. It was still a good film, don't get me wrong. I just had way too many problems with it.
I couldn't stand Hoffmans character. He's a totally neurotic, self-absorbed, idiot that I can't fathom why any woman would want to date him. let alone bed him. No good reason is ever given for Mrs. Robinson being attracted to him, outside of simple convenience.
The music in the movie was omnipresent and obnoxious. I swear the same stupid song was played over and over again. I even took my headphones off at one point because of it.
The relationship with Elaine was handled very poorly. Near as I can tell they went on maybe 2 dates. But somehow Benjamin was massively in love with her. And why exactly did Mrs. Robinson not want him to date Elaine? Outside of the obvious that is? Seemed to me that there was something else there not being said.
THEN we have Benjamin being a bona fide stalker and following Elaine to college. And she doesn't freak out when he asks her to marry him?! After not even having a relationship anymore?!  I just don't get it.
THEN...THEN, we have the stupid thrown together marriage with the other random dude that it seemed like she hardly knew.
This movie just baffled the hell out of movie. It's starts out great, and promises a good dissection of the pseudo-crises that a graduate may go through right out of college. But then it veers off into silly rom-com material and never looked back.
perhaps in 1967 this was new and inventive, and meaningful, but it just didn't work for me as it is now.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:13:07 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3297 on: September 26, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »

Revolutionary Road

I'm all over with this.  It's not an entertaining movie (well, you see a trainwreck happen -- a trainwreck marriage, that is), but it definitely promotes a TON of discussion.  It is a bit of Osacar bait, people yell, they have affairs, dreams are cut to bits, etc.  But I love the simplicity of the film that still manages to expose that there is a lot more than what's on the surface.

You can look at the film from Frank's side.  Does he have anger issues?  Is he too entitled or inconsiderate?  Is he putting his work before family?  Does he really care about what they want?
Is HE SELFISH?

You can look at this from April's side.  Is she a bit crazy?  Does she want a fresh start and leave her "pigeon coop"?  Does she really love her husband?  How does she feel about children?  Her children?  And what about the one on the way?
Is SHE SELFISH?

Like many relationships where the "love" simply "dissolves" for whatever reason, you see it might be just two irreconcilable people still trying to make the most of it.  The 1950s were an awkward time of house wives, and big jobs, so the added family dynamic is definitely appreciated, especially with the controversial areas the story likes to dig into.  I also feel there were many times where I thought: "If this ONE THING happened, MAYBE they'd finally get better". 

I definitely recommend it for something that's got more to it, or something that will make you think.  Entertainment and drama isn't really here, but I think it's worth a shot.

I love Michael Shannon in this (the creepy cop dude on Boardwalk Empire).  He tells it like it is.

PS: Kate Winslet was really pretty in this, more than I usually think.  Odd to say, but I adore her American accent more than her native Brit one.  Hah?

This kind of left me feeling a bit let down. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the movie as a whole just didn't live up to it. It was still a good film, don't get me wrong. I just had way too many problems with it.
I couldn't stand Hoffmans character. He's a totally neurotic, self-absorbed, idiot that I can't fathom why any woman would want to date him. let alone bed him. No good reason is ever given for Mrs. Robinson being attracted to him, outside of simple convenience.
The Graduate -
The music in the movie was omnipresent and obnoxious. I swear the same stupid song was played over and over again. I even took my headphones off at one point because of it.
The relationship with Elaine was handled very poorly. Near as I can tell they went on maybe 2 dates. But somehow Benjamin was massively in love with her. And why exactly did Mrs. Robinson not want him to date Elaine? Outside of the obvious that is? Seemed to me that there was something else there not being said.
THEN we have Benjamin being a bona fide stalker and following Elaine to college. And she doesn't freak out when he asks her to marry him?! After not even having a relationship anymore?!  I just don't get it.
THEN...THEN, we have the stupid thrown together marriage with the other random dude that it seemed like she hardly knew.
This movie just baffled the hell out of movie. It's starts out great, and promises a good dissection of the pseudo-crises that a graduate may go through right out of college. But then it veers off into silly rom-com material and never looked back.
perhaps in 1967 this was new and inventive, and meaningful, but it just didn't work for me as it is now.

Normally I like to be cautious with other peoples interpretations of "interpretive material", but I think the nostalgia critic can help you out, I thought he nailed the main themes quite well.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/40556-nostalgia-critic-wtf-is-with-the-ending-of-the-graduate
(I was gonna do a write up for you myself but...)

I liked the Graduate Myself.  Like Rev Road above, it's another that can make you think; and opinions and thoughts on it come in all shapes and sizes.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:55:23 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3298 on: September 26, 2013, 09:28:45 PM »

The Graduate -

Normally I like to be cautious with other peoples interpretations of "interpretive material", but I think the nostalgia critic can help you out, I thought he nailed the main themes quite well.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/40556-nostalgia-critic-wtf-is-with-the-ending-of-the-graduate
(I was gonna do a write up for you myself but...)

I liked the Graduate Myself.  Like Rev Road above, it's another that can make you think; and opinions and thoughts on it come in all shapes and sizes.
I certainly saw all the deeper aspects of the movie. And I definitely knew we weren't dealing with a happy ending. You can see it on their faces as they slowly change from smiling to solemn. I just didn't like how parts of the movie were handled. It was still a decent flik overall. I liked that guys assessment. I'll have to see what else he has made videos of.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3299 on: September 26, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »

I watched the remake of The Evil Dead again.

I have to say I liked it more the second time around. I have to agree with Joey Comeau's assessment of it; the movie is bloody and brutal but it's to an extreme that it's almost ridiculous. There's even some subtle dark humor in there as well, I mean
Code:
all the beatings Eric takes and still keeps going? It's like the movie knows that the viewer believes its all his fault and is giving him his comeuppance. Also, the way Mia has to tear her hand off? It's so brutal that it's almost comical.

I'm really interested to see what they would do with a sequel, and if the rumors about what Raimi wants to do with the franchise come true, it could be totally awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 266 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: