Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:54:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332937 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 256 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 372004 times)
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3300 on: September 27, 2013, 06:08:52 AM »

The Worlds End

I enjoyed the movie although it wasn't as funny as I was expecting it to be.

Big Fish
Loved this movie so much. I liked how it blended the truth and lies together.

natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3301 on: September 27, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »

Saw Big Trouble last night. Not the kind you get in Little China (which is a classic in itself). This kind you get in a comedy movie starring Tim Allen, from about 10 years ago.
I honestly have a soft spot for this movie. Not sure why, but it's the 3rd time I've seen it. There's nothing truly exceptional about it, and the music gets annoying very quick. I think it's because I like everyone who is in it, and it does have some pretty funny parts. Dennis Farina and Stanley Tucci in particular do a great job, as usual. Honestly, it's hard for me to think of Tucci as anything but a child rapist/murderer ever since I saw his excellent performance in that half-decent movie, The Lovely Bones. It's also crazy how young Zooey Dachensheshenaleschalehel is... Time is flying.
Anyway, I like Big Trouble. I think a lot of other people may find it mundane and un-funny, but not me.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3302 on: September 28, 2013, 12:40:04 AM »

The worlds end, as the previous 2, will take multiple viewings to fully appreciate IMO. Also I watched wwz. Pretty great considering the radical departure from the source material.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3303 on: September 30, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »

Wreck it Ralph - It was... decent. The old video game references are definitely appreciated by someone like me, and I like the actors voicing the main characters. However, at it's core, the movie feels like the same old Disney animation formula with a few small video game-related twists. It has some funny and moving moments. I'm sure all the chilluns out there greatly enjoyed it.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3304 on: September 30, 2013, 10:56:26 AM »

Wreck it Ralph - It was... decent. The old video game references are definitely appreciated by someone like me, and I like the actors voicing the main characters. However, at it's core, the movie feels like the same old Disney animation formula with a few small video game-related twists. It has some funny and moving moments. I'm sure all the chilluns out there greatly enjoyed it.

I hated that about 50% of the film was in that stupid Candy Kart place.  I don't mind the "sweet" (*groan* I mean that though) message of loving yourself and all that...but yeah, Disney formula hit harder than some of the Princess-related titles did.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:00:58 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3305 on: September 30, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »

I hated that about 50% of the film was in that stupid Candy Kart place.

No kidding. You'd think taking place in an arcade, that there would be more than the 3 or 4 environments used in the film. Didn't feel like much of an adventure at all... I can understand Disney's cheap asses not wanting to pay too many royalties, but they could have at least come up with a few more places/games from scratch.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: September 30, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »

Licensing was not the issue - they paid to get a TON of characters and games into that movie.

I've talked about this before, but a friend of mine worked on what became Wreck-It Ralph for years before it got shelved.  (It was called Joe Jump then.)  They had the characters going to all kinds of games, but it created problems related to their motivation to keep moving from game to game and how to keep the movie making sense.  They could be chasing a bad guy or letting the hero learn more, but either way, how do you build a connection from the viewer to that many worlds in the short time available?  Each time you hop to a new world, no matter what you're going to do, you've got to have a sort of "tutorial" that explains how that world works, what the goal is, etc.  And watching that over and over gets tiring quickly.  If you're just running from place to place, not learning anything about it, you're really just making a huge montage.  And montages get old quickly too.

In the end, that was one of the issues that led to the project getting shelved for a few years before they brought it back and retooled the whole thing.  So although you're far from the first to make that complaint, I think they made the right call in only going to a couple of places.

Now if it had been successful enough to spawn a TV series, that would have been a whole different ballgame.  In that, they could have gone somewhere different each week, fixing problems in different games and such.  That would have been cool.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3307 on: September 30, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »

Valid points. It would be like an animated version of Running Scared.

Of course, I wouldn't expect them to go through 20 games or anything like that. It just seems like 3 different ones (including Ralph's/Felix's own game) is a very low number, given the set up of the film. Like Dice said, it also didn't help that the vast majority of the film takes place in 1 very annoying game.
However, if a higher level of entertainment had to be sacrificed for the integrity of a fresh and exciting cookie-cutter Disney plot, then so be it. It is a children's film, after all.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3308 on: September 30, 2013, 06:11:20 PM »

Man I loved that flick.  Shit was cranked to an 11 the whole time, except the "clown" thing...which brought it to a creepy 8.

On a semi-related note, I'm looking forward to Disney's Frozen if Tangled set any bar.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3309 on: September 30, 2013, 08:53:28 PM »

However, if a higher level of entertainment had to be sacrificed for the integrity of a fresh and exciting cookie-cutter Disney plot, then so be it. It is a children's film, after all.

Why do you say it's a children's film? Because it was animated? Because I totally disagree. This movie was obviously aimed at people like me(I'm 38, by the way) who grew up playing video games, and, more specifically, arcade games. It was also aimed at video gamers in general, who, on average, are a bit older than 7 or 8.
Sorry, but I get irritated when animated films are tossed aside simply because they are "children's" movies. There are people who still even do this with Pixar Fliks!
I'm sure you have a better reason for saying that, so I'll let you go with a warning this time, But if you do it again, watch out! ;-)

I agree with your(and Dices) assessment of the movie, actually. Too much Sugar land, or whatever it was. Sorry, Took, but I don't buy that a decent writer couldn't have made even one or two more locales work. I don't think anyone's asking for 10 or 15.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3310 on: September 30, 2013, 09:44:17 PM »

Why do you say it's a children's film? Because it was animated? Because I totally disagree. This movie was obviously aimed at people like me(I'm 38, by the way) who grew up playing video games, and, more specifically, arcade games. It was also aimed at video gamers in general, who, on average, are a bit older than 7 or 8.
Sorry, but I get irritated when animated films are tossed aside simply because they are "children's" movies. There are people who still even do this with Pixar Fliks!
I'm sure you have a better reason for saying that, so I'll let you go with a warning this time, But if you do it again, watch out! ;-)

I agree with your(and Dices) assessment of the movie, actually. Too much Sugar land, or whatever it was. Sorry, Took, but I don't buy that a decent writer couldn't have made even one or two more locales work. I don't think anyone's asking for 10 or 15.

You're talking to a guy who watches more adult cartoons than he does anything else, and I honestly wouldn't call films like Up or The Incredibles straight children's flicks.
I cast WiR aside as a children's movie because the initial premise and the nods to video games felt overpowered by the sugary sweet and predictable Dis-nee plot. I mean, I wasn't expecting an animated masterpiece for all ages, but I thought there would be a bit more.. I dunno... originality, given what they had to work with? It's not a bad film... Just not what I was expecting. Little bit of a let down.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3311 on: October 01, 2013, 12:39:51 AM »

At least they'll have plenty of material for the inevitable sequel/TV series.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3312 on: October 01, 2013, 10:26:07 PM »

This is the end - Funny, really funny and entertaining.  I  was surprised I liked it so much.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: October 01, 2013, 10:59:47 PM »

Watching that right now. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3314 on: October 02, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »

Time Traveler - While not as good as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, it still managed to make me bawl my eyes out.  I do want to rewatch the anime this week so I can bawl my eyes out again.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 256 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: