Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 11:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331339 Posts in 13569 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 256 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 367874 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: October 15, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »

Watched The Simpsons movie yesterday.  Well, half of it.  It was so terrible that we turned it off at that point.  Geez.  It's a movie-length episode of a once-great show trying its best to imitate Family Guy and failing miserably.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3331 on: October 15, 2013, 03:32:45 PM »

Clooney...well, he plays Clooney. That's not to say he's bad, as he does just fine, but I really think they should have cast someone lesser known. Without an ingrained persona like he has.

Apparently, RDJ supposed to play that role before he bailed, and Clooney accepted... Honestly, from what I've been hearing about this supposed "blockbuster", it sounds pretty boring.

Watched The Simpsons movie yesterday.  Well, half of it.  It was so terrible that we turned it off at that point.  Geez.  It's a movie-length episode of a once-great show trying its best to imitate Family Guy and failing miserably.

You weren't drunk and/or stoned enough.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3332 on: October 15, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »

Clooney...well, he plays Clooney. That's not to say he's bad, as he does just fine, but I really think they should have cast someone lesser known. Without an ingrained persona like he has.

Apparently, RDJ supposed to play that role before he bailed, and Clooney accepted... Honestly, from what I've been hearing about this supposed "blockbuster", it sounds pretty boring.

It's definitely not boring, I'll say that. Just minimalist. All the fat that would normally come with a movie like this is cut out. I'm not sure that was the best decision, but a lot of people seem to think so.
At the heart of it this is Bullocks movie, and she really does rock it. Plus, she looks fantastic, from a fitness perspective. Lots of time in the gym, apparently. My wife even commented on how nice her legs looked. Granted this is only a few brief scenes, as most of the movie all we see is her face.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3333 on: October 15, 2013, 05:55:39 PM »

At the heart of it this is Bullocks movie, and she really does rock it. Plus, she looks fantastic, from a fitness perspective. Lots of time in the gym, apparently. My wife even commented on how nice her legs looked. Granted this is only a few brief scenes, as most of the movie all we see is her face.

She's definitely a looker. Always had fantastic legs. Seems to have a good sense of humor, too. Too bad JJ couldn't keep his jimmy in his pants... I sure as hell wouldn't cheat on her.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3334 on: October 15, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »

Speaking of Gravity:

Neil deGrasse Tyson took to Twitter when he watched it.  I'd never want to watch a space movie with him, but it's still pretty funny
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/famed-astrophysicist-neil-degrasse-tyson-644291

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: October 15, 2013, 07:03:50 PM »

Saw a "trailer" today for a movie that's perfect for this time of year.

Hell No: The Sensible Horror Film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olEbwhWDYwM

—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3336 on: October 15, 2013, 07:32:20 PM »

One of the supervising teachers I work with was absent for a few days, so I've been watching "Catch Me If You Can" with this class.  It's a fun jaunt, but a lot of the transitions are jarring and there's gaps where you have to extrapolate where stuff happens.  A lot of the movie is sensationalistic and almost feels like Captain Tylor where the protagonist is just disgustingly lucky.  All that being said, I am interested in reading more about Frank Abagnale Jr. and maybe his perspective on identity theft in the Internet age. 

And, hey, I'm a Leo DiCaprio fan.  He's a very talented and versatile actor.  Take away his pretty face, and you still have a lot of talent.  Even in bad movies, he's very good. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3337 on: October 18, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »

This is the End - It was everything I thought it would be. Entertaining and hilarious. You know what to expect when seeing this kind of film. It definitely delivers. Michael Cera is especially funny in his small cameo.

Bullitt - Never saw it before. Fantastic police drama. Well done in all aspects. Story keep you guessing. The infamous car chase scene lives up the the hype.
What's funny, is that being a fan of modern crime drama shows (Law & Order; The Shield; Homicide), I couldn't help but think of the differences in police procedures between now and back when this was filmed. Especially when it comes to technology. Bullitt would have had a much easier time solving the case if he even just had a cell phone. Where's the fun in that, though? ;)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: October 19, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »

Watching Tucker And Dale Vs. Evil again.  I love this show. :)

—Kurt Vonnegut
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3339 on: October 20, 2013, 09:22:20 PM »

Watched Goon again because its great. Funny and endearing. Also watched After Earth out of curiosity. Not horrible but lacking. Almost felt like a side story to something much bigger and better.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3340 on: October 22, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »

Strangers On A Train -
Much weirder than I was expecting. Very clever in how it all plays out, but I still felt there was something lacking. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly.
Robert Walker as Bruno really does the creepy, obsessed, stalker really well.
Farley plays Guy's exasperation really well. too. I totally understood every action he took.
The women in this we're stunning. Ruth Roman in particular. Yowza.
I really enjoyed the buildup, and the climax was pretty crazy. Fun film.

Playing:
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3341 on: October 23, 2013, 01:09:01 AM »

Strangers On A Train -
Much weirder than I was expecting. Very clever in how it all plays out, but I still felt there was something lacking. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly.
Farley plays Guy's exasperation really well. too. I totally understood every action he took.

Do you have Hulu+? All the Criterion movies are on that. I don't know why I quoted you but that's really a random tip for everyone. I think it's a list of about 200 flix
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3342 on: October 23, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »

Strangers On A Train -

Do you have Hulu+? All the Criterion movies are on that. I don't know why I quoted you but that's really a random tip for everyone. I think it's a list of about 200 flix

No, I've never used Hulu. I get all movies by mail. I'll have to look into something new pretty soon, though. I'm not big on the streaming idea because then I could only watch movies from the TV attached to the computer. I DO watch most of my movies from this TV, but sometimes I watch them upstairs with my wife. No internet up there.

Playing:
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3343 on: October 23, 2013, 01:46:23 PM »

I'm not big on the streaming idea because then I could only watch movies from the TV attached to the computer. I DO watch most of my movies from this TV, but sometimes I watch them upstairs with my wife. No internet up there.

No wifi in your house? I'm not usually the type to be like "get with the times", as I proudly rock a feature phone... but... well... get with the times, man.
Seriously, between wifi and a good media streaming device, you are pretty well covered. Not entirely, as there are still lots of good programs and films that can only be found on disc, but there's still no shortage of things to watch at all.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3344 on: October 23, 2013, 03:24:39 PM »

I'm not big on the streaming idea because then I could only watch movies from the TV attached to the computer. I DO watch most of my movies from this TV, but sometimes I watch them upstairs with my wife. No internet up there.

No wifi in your house? I'm not usually the type to be like "get with the times", as I proudly rock a feature phone... but... well... get with the times, man.
Seriously, between wifi and a good media streaming device, you are pretty well covered. Not entirely, as there are still lots of good programs and films that can only be found on disc, but there's still no shortage of things to watch at all.
No wifi. I'm pretty sure that costs more, which is why I didn't go that route. My brother was going to hook me up, but has yet to do so.
None of this is really that much of a concern, as I'm not looking for more things to watch. I get a couple movies a week through my subscription service, which is all I have time to watch. I only watch a few TV shows at a time, so that's not a big deal either.

The Deer Hunter -
Man, this was one LONG movie. I ended up watching it over a couple nights, which I don't like to do.
This thing covered so much ground that it's hard to know where to start.
It was weird seeing the young versions of some of our best known and respected actors. I didn't even recognize De Niro at first!
The movie has a very real "grittiness" about it that manages to stick around all the way through. This was not upbeat or inspirational in any way. Almost depressing in a way.
I give it a lot of credit for it's very real portrayal of relationships, as well as the effects of going to war, not only on soldiers, but family and friends as well.
I was annoyed a bit by the flow of the movie, and how it would jump ahead to an entirely different scenario without explanation of what happened to get there.
The wedding sequence felt like it lasted 463 hours, and really should have been cut down. I understand why they did that, from a story perspective, but it just wouldn't end.
I found the group of friends to mostly be obnoxious. Especially the fat bartender guy. The constant alcohol consumption was over done as well.. This may be realistic, but I found it sad and pathetic.
The whole "Russian Roulette" thing that takes place a few times during the movie also turned me off. Did they actually do this in Vietnam? I'd be curious to know.
The final scene, while effective from a movie climax standpoint, didn't work for me. Why was Nick still there? Did he simply go nuts? Why would he ever play that "game" again?
It really was a very effective movie. Just not the "Best Picture Winner" I was expecting.

Playing:
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 256 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: