Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:48:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330171 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 255 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 364916 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3345 on: October 23, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »

After really liking Argo I decided to check out Lincoln. One of those movies I found myself checking the clock every now and then thinking 'how long -is- this movie?' It had it's moments, but most of it seemed pretty meh. And I thought they handled the ending with a lot of sap and a bit of cheese.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3346 on: October 23, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »

I'm not big on the streaming idea because then I could only watch movies from the TV attached to the computer. I DO watch most of my movies from this TV, but sometimes I watch them upstairs with my wife. No internet up there.

No wifi in your house? I'm not usually the type to be like "get with the times", as I proudly rock a feature phone... but... well... get with the times, man.
Seriously, between wifi and a good media streaming device, you are pretty well covered. Not entirely, as there are still lots of good programs and films that can only be found on disc, but there's still no shortage of things to watch at all.
No wifi. I'm pretty sure that costs more, which is why I didn't go that route. My brother was going to hook me up, but has yet to do so.
None of this is really that much of a concern, as I'm not looking for more things to watch. I get a couple movies a week through my subscription service, which is all I have time to watch. I only watch a few TV shows at a time, so that's not a big deal either.

It only costs more for the items/parts needed. The monthly internet bill shouldn't change, unless you lease the router from your internet provider. Anyway, different strokes. Not asking you to be concerned about it. Just sharing an option for cheap variety, which is the spice of life... or so they say.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3347 on: October 23, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »

It only costs more for the items/parts needed. The monthly internet bill shouldn't change, unless you lease the router from your internet provider. Anyway, different strokes. Not asking you to be concerned about it. Just sharing an option for cheap variety, which is the spice of life... or so they say.

Actually, far from costing more these days I think you would be hard-pressed to find a consumer router that doesn't have wifi...

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3348 on: October 24, 2013, 12:32:56 PM »

There's a new trailer out for the next Cap'n America movie.

I have to say with the exception of a few blunders (the first Wolverine movie and some others) comic book based movies have come a LONG way since the crap it was.

Sure they're not the deepest form of entertainment but damnit if I wasn't entertained as heck watching Thor, Cap'n America, and others.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3349 on: October 24, 2013, 12:47:24 PM »

I have to say with the exception of a few blunders (the first Wolverine movie and some others) comic book based movies have come a LONG way since the crap it was.

Sure they're not the deepest form of entertainment but damnit if I wasn't entertained as heck watching Thor, Cap'n America, and others.

I like how action movies are like divided between crime genre...and superhero genre.
Marvel:

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3350 on: October 24, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »

The biggest difference is the movies that Marvel has an active hand in do well. The movies done by Fox and Sony tend to be shittier.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3351 on: October 28, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »

Jennifer's Body -
This was bad. There was a few mildly amusing parts to it, but as a whole, it's a pretty awful movie.
I like Amanda Seyfried, but Megan Fox, whom I used to find appealing(duh), no longer works for me. She's just annoying. Especially annoying in her role here.
They call this a horror comedy, but I don't recall laughing once, and there was certainly nothing horrifying. Besides Megan's acting ability, anyway.
Just an overall bad movie. Stay far away.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3352 on: October 28, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »

National Lampoon's Vacation - Never saw the original before. Seen Euro and X-mas several times each. Nice to see where some of the inside throwback jokes came from. It has also had an obvious influence on later comedies and road trip movies.
This film wasn't exactly hilarious, but it had some pretty funny moments. Wifey and I both enjoyed it. Crazy to see how young all of these great comedic actors were. I've always thought Beverly D'Angelo was pretty yummy in her younger years. The fact that she was about the age I am now when this was filmed (and that she had a few quick topless shots) was very much appreciated by me.  =)

Goon - Been hearing for a while that this was good, and it is. I thought it was well directed. The camera work during the games and fight scenes really make you feel like you're there. Good story. Nicely acted. SWC did a pretty good job with the character, who is definitely a unique person. It's a different sort of comedy/drama, and it's done well.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3353 on: October 28, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »

I guess I have to check out Goon. Slap Shot is one of my favorite movies ever and I think Dice suggested Goon as well?
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3354 on: October 28, 2013, 05:14:56 PM »

^ Yoda: It's, um.  Awkward good.  I find some of the profanities and dumb dialogue more distracting than actually amusing; but I really liked (of all things) the story I love Liev Schreiber a lot and even Sean William Scott.  I definitely gotta see it again though -- I was stoned when I did watch it. >______>

Wrist Slitters: A Love Story
This is a weird yet hauntingly nice movie.  It deals with a strange version of limbo; the everyday lives of people in a 'lifeless' purgatory.  People can't smile (which makes how the actors are able to get across that they're amused or happy without their faces necessarily indicating it very impressive), they still work day jobs (which becomes ironic for suicides trying to escape from life only to manage getting into a new one that's ...just slightly worse), and the colours are all drained out and dull.  Meanwhile, we get a surprisingly wonderful and diverse cast in what's clearly a a somewhat budgeted indie film.  I recommend it; it's weird, and maybe not a favourite, but its imagination really stuck with me.  The ideas are creative, and the story is fun to follow.
tl;dr  Strange and poignant, very different; but very sweet.

Beetlejuice:
This was a re-watch.  Y'know when you're young you'll watch/enjoy a movie without really 100% understanding it?  Anyways.  I love this film; I do like how Geena and Alec are just these really nice people (but dear god, poor Geena stuck in the awful floral print dress); but it's definitely Keaton as Beetlejuice that steal the WHOLE show for what's -- probably -- 20 minutes of screentime.  He is wacky and owns the role completely.  Rumor of a sequel has been hitting the net, and by god I have nothing against that (aside from Burton being...out of his element these days; I hope this could bring it back?).  I love a lot of the strange bureaucratic after-life, the bizarre sandworms from saturn[?], the fact that any of this exists at all is such a damn strange look into what happens when you die.  It's odd, it's funny, and it loves being strange.  I also noticed (for the first time) the huge gash on Juno's throat which makes her smoking absolutely cringe-worthy.
tl;dr  Classic, though it does take leaps and bounds to get the mythos out there and does little to explain it.

Bridge to Terabithia
Yeah yeah, I'm a bit too old for this film.  But I like all kinds of movies, even family films, and since I read the book in grade school and wanted to see how it was adapted.  The trailer is worth mentioning here because of how they passed it off as a "Lord of the Rings" with modern-age kids in some fantasy world, but it's really just a coming of age story with kids doing "kid-things" and playing games of 'pretend'.  
It's a good film though.  The ending always makes me super sad, and yeah, I suppose that's the point, and meant to demonstrate the hard part of growing up and moving passed childish things... but it's still hard to watch (I'm happy to add though, it was really well handled).  
I absolutely HATE Leslie's parents though; it's a nuance, but it's probably my least favorite thing in this movie because they're so fucking perfect it's almost laughable.  Even in the heart-wrenching ending they seem to be just glazing over their problems.  
tl;dr  Dat ending...  Pretty good, sometimes hammy.

The Way Way Back
I gotta comment on the talents in this film:
= Toni Collette I think is a wonderful actress and she's usually cast a lot.  I'm glad her looks (which are definitely a step below the average Hollywood lady) don't hamper that.  She deals with a hard truth in the movie and does a good job of it as well.
=  Liam James plays the annoying kid who's gotta do the growing up.  He starts off quite insufferable, and changes a bit.  But by god he's acting like a stick in the mud and his face just annoys me.  I guess you need a kind of...homely kid to play his role, but he looks like he eating a sweet but poisonous berry half the time and sounds like his cracking voice is disrupting his acting.
= Dunno who the kid is with the lazy eye, but I fucking loved him.
= Steve Carrell can't play a 'bad guy'.  I admire when actor's move out of their comfort zone, but this wasn't his role for it.  The scene where he becomes the 'bad guy' feels really fucking forced and stupid too.
=Sam Rockwell is worth the price of admission here; he blows the role any role out of the water.
This movie felt somewhat by the numbers; but I'm happy to say I liked it about 1000x more than Adventureland.
Anyways, watch it once, it's worth it for Rockwell and just for general entertainment...then move along.
tl;dr  Decent coming of age film, interesting cast, Sam Rockwell is the MAN.

We Bought a Zoo
This is a cute premise and is based on a true story.  Though idealized and just kinda "goody-goody" in general.  
I actually have a lot of beef with old-man widower Matt Damon getting flirty with Scarlet Johanson.  I'm getting a bit ahead of the point here: But hell, no wonder there's so much pressure for female Hollywood celebrities to go through ridiculous cosmetic surgeries or stay super-fit, and have this perfect hair... and then you cast a freaking model and superstar celebrity as your head zookeeper.
This movie is sweet otherwise.  The main kid is a punk, the little girl is sweet, and Matt Damon is Matt Damon.  I also like animals, so seeing a bunch in a film is swell too!
tl;dr  Scar Jo is too hot for her role...lol.  Very pedestrian but nice.

In America
I feel like the poster lies about this film making it look grander and more exciting than it is.  It's about a family that's come to America, but basically almost penniless.  They're also somewhat grieving over the loss of their youngest son.  It's a good film, don't get me wrong, but I found it quite depressing as well.  The ending is a happy one, and a lot of good is scattered in it, but too often I found myself just getting blue at how rough this Irish immigrant family has it.  
tl;dr  It's good; but it's not always easy to watch.

Epic
Mm.  Cute.  I like a of the ideas, but they seem kinda shoved in and completely out of left field sometimes.  The voice cast is decent, but I feel it's a bad habit out of a lot of recent animated films to shove in whatever celebrities they can get a hold of -- and oh boy, does this film ever!!  Irish people (Ferrel & O'Dowd)!  Budding young actor and actress (Hutcherson & Seigfried)!  Black songstress (Knowles)!  Rap icon (Putbull)!  Rock icon(Stephen fucking Tyler)!  Indian comedian (Ansari)!  And let's just snowball in everyone's favorite Austrian -- Christoph Waltz!  When it gets like this, I feel that the decisions to cast them are half-hearted and simply distracting.  It's a pretty film; I mean, that goes for like all animated films these days; but the forestry and flourishes are indeed lovely.  The idea for how people can't kill bugs easily is amusing and clever.
tl;dr Lots of random voice casting, cute animated film, entertaining, but graphically lovely.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:22:44 PM by Dice » Logged

natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3355 on: October 28, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »

Matt Damon is Matt Damon.  

You knew someone was gonna do this.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3356 on: October 28, 2013, 05:23:06 PM »

Matt Damon is Matt Damon.  

You knew someone was gonna do this.

I was hoping someone would. :)

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3357 on: October 28, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »

Slap Shot has the best dialogue.

"she underlined the fuck scenes for you? she must worship the ground you walk on"
"they teach you how to underline in college"
"not the fuck scenes they don't"
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: November 06, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »

RIPD.  Enjoyed it, despite what the reviews said.

Young Frankenstein.  Still awesome.  If you haven't seen it, you should.

The Spirit.  As expected, it was stupid.  But I saw it for free.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3359 on: November 06, 2013, 01:25:37 PM »

I watched "Frances" today, still kinda bummed out by it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 255 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: