Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 08:26:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337932 Posts in 13835 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 384827 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3480 on: January 05, 2014, 01:25:33 PM »

Death at a Funeral -

After a few "downer" fliks, I thought I would pick something lighter to watch. This was definitely it. What a bizarre movie. There's a lot of funny moments here, but some of it is stretched a bit too far, and just gets obnoxious. Still, it was fun, and entertained me, and that's all I was really hoping for.

Secret of Kells -

This was a second watch with my son, who had never seen it. A fantastic little movie with a great story, and beautiful animation. Anyone who loves animation, and anything about Celtic history, should see it.

Lincoln -

Excellent movie, although they really shouldn't have called it Lincoln, as it was only about a small portion of his life. There will have to be a separate bio movie about his life from beginning to end.
This is primarily about the end of the Civil War and the abolishment of Slavery. Oddly enough, it reminded of that Michael Douglas movie, The American President. Why? Because the movie spends a lot of it's time on what was done to convince House members to vote for the Amendment. I actually like how it showed the good and bad of this process. Lincoln was not a saint, and the movie makes us aware of this.
Daniel Day Lewis, whom I admit was a tad distracting at first, turned out to be an incredible choice for this role. He nailed it. Amazing job.
I didn't like how the movie kind of rushed the ending, and lacked any emotional pull whatsoever in regards to his assassination. It was just a footnote, really. I suppose that wasn't what the movie was about, though.
I'm not sure how accurate this was, historically, but I found it very interesting, and entertaining. A great movie that everyone should see. Perhaps even in classrooms.

Clue -

I've been meaning to watch this for a long time, and Nan and I finally did last night. It's just plain silly fun. Not a great movie, by any stretch, but certainly entertaining.
Tim Curry is almost always great, and his role here is no exception.
It's a clever take on the board game, with all the classic people, items, places, from the game.
Goofball fun. I liked it.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: January 05, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »

Glad you liked Clue.  It might not have become one of your favorites, but it's one of mine.  Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd, Michael McKean... everybody is awesome.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3482 on: January 06, 2014, 06:18:28 AM »

Glad you liked Clue.  It might not have become one of your favorites, but it's one of mine.  Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd, Michael McKean... everybody is awesome.
"Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go home and have sex with my wife."

TASTY!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: January 06, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »

I could happily trade quotes from that movie for almost as long as the movie lasts. :)

—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3484 on: January 06, 2014, 08:16:35 PM »

I did like a lot of the banter between the characters. Sadly, I just watched it the other night, but I don't recall a single quote. That's how my (bad)memory works. Even with movies I love unconditionally, all the details disappear quickly. Not cool.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3485 on: January 07, 2014, 01:27:44 AM »

I could happily trade quotes from that movie for almost as long as the movie lasts. :)

♪I. Have. A singing telegram.♪ *ker-shot*

Granted, its not the most quotable movie in my books, but it has its lines.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3486 on: January 08, 2014, 10:35:08 AM »

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension -

It's been 3 days, and I'm still not sure what the heck it was that I watched.
Right from the start it feels like something is missing. Like we're watching the 3rd movie in an on-running series. There is no exposition at all on who this Buckaroo Banzaii character even is, or why he's even called that. He's this uber multi-talented super hero rockstar surgeon who's known all over the world. But how did he get to this point?
This movie feels SO much like it's based on a comic book series, but I'm pretty sure it's not. This was solely created for the movie screen. Wow.
It's craziness is certainly fun to watch, and I imagine it would benefit from repeat viewings.
Peter Weller seems a tad miscast for this role, and plays it too serious most of the time. By the end, I was ok with him, though.
Goldblum is Goldblum. Cool cat as always.
Everyone appears to be having a blast with their characters, and what is required of them.
This is another one of those movies that would fail the great movie test, when broken down, but somehow transcends it all through sheer force of insanity. Fun stuff.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: January 08, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »

That may be the perfect description of that movie.  I'm a fan, but you're right, it's a very strange film.

Wife and I watched Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 - one Monday night, one Tuesday night - and as we started 3, she said "wait, I have no idea what happened at the end of 2."  To which I could only reply "me either."  Those movies are kind of a mess.  An at least sometimes entertaining mess, but still a mess.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3488 on: January 08, 2014, 11:43:23 PM »

Iron Skies. Nazis on the moon is the premise. Silly would be an understatement but oddly enjoyable.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3489 on: January 08, 2014, 11:49:51 PM »

That may be the perfect description of that movie.  I'm a fan, but you're right, it's a very strange film.

Wife and I watched Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 - one Monday night, one Tuesday night - and as we started 3, she said "wait, I have no idea what happened at the end of 2."  To which I could only reply "me either."  Those movies are kind of a mess.  An at least sometimes entertaining mess, but still a mess.

I actually don't know what to say about those films.  The first one is great!  And the other ones are similar... but they're too long?  I dunno, but it runs out of steam and then you're left with a vacant smile... that slowly curls the other way to a boredom of some sort (at least with the third film). 

It actually feels like the theme park it originally was: It's fun, it's entertaining, it's noisy, and "grand" in a ridiculous way.  Unfortunately it doesn't translate well four installments in.  Nevertheless, loved the first one and even the 2nd.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3490 on: January 09, 2014, 12:48:37 AM »

I actually don't know what to say about those films.  The first one is great!  And the other ones are similar... but they're too long?  I dunno, but it runs out of steam and then you're left with a vacant smile... that slowly curls the other way to a boredom of some sort (at least with the third film). 

It actually feels like the theme park it originally was: It's fun, it's entertaining, it's noisy, and "grand" in a ridiculous way.  Unfortunately it doesn't translate well four installments in.  Nevertheless, loved the first one and even the 2nd.

Basically ^this.

The first one was about Pirates. In the Caribbean even. Doing pirate-y things like looting loot, kidnapping damsels, and buckling swashes. And even the Zombie thing worked in the 'cursed treasure is cursed' sense.

But then they started introducing sea monsters, former villains, and killing off supporting characters, and then suddenly you've got undead clusterfuck fight scenes all over the place. It just spiraled out of control. Also Jack Sparrow really couldn't last four whole movies.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3491 on: January 09, 2014, 01:29:19 AM »

Yeah -- I think the 2-3 movie arc could have been 100x better if they JUST stuck with fighting Davey Jones. 

..But then it was about getting the key/chest (or something), going to China, travelling to ?????? because ____, saving Keira Knightly, saving Will, saving Will's dad AND Will, getting married mid-sword-fight, magical love affairs with goddesses and mermaids and WHAAAAAAAT THE HELLLL.

I think Jack Sparrow is one of those characters that plays better the LESS you know about him, or maybe better playing as a 'close-supporting character'. 

He's like a myth: People play him up like he's been alive for hundreds of years, has gone from billionaire to broke at least six times, stolen 100 boats, destroyed another 200, and made love more than his rock-star dad, Keith Richards.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3492 on: January 09, 2014, 07:01:07 AM »

Watched Batman Begins last night.....I really don't get why this movie is so well loved. It was alright, but that was about the extent of my feelings for it. >.>

...getting married mid-sword-fight,...
Oh come on that was freaking awesome. I wish I could get married in the middle of an epic sword fight during a maelstrom.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3493 on: January 09, 2014, 09:22:16 AM »

Watched Batman Begins last night.....I really don't get why this movie is so well loved. It was alright, but that was about the extent of my feelings for it. >.>

Probably because it was the first live action Batman movie since Batman and Robin, and just about anything would look like a classic compared to that.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3494 on: January 09, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »

Probably because it was the first live action Batman movie since Batman and Robin, and just about anything would look like a classic compared to that.

Oh come on that was freaking awesome. I wish I could get married in the middle of an epic sword fight during a maelstrom.

Haha I don't dispute it was great, it was more about just adding it to the cluster-fest that is PotC.

Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: