Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:48:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334793 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 258 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 377295 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3495 on: January 09, 2014, 11:17:50 PM »

I still dont get the appeal of the 'Pirates' movies. I guess it ain't my bag. Depp's work in Fear and Loathing, Gilbert Grape and such is where I like him. Anyway, Raging Bull. Watched it tonight after many years. Probably my favorite Scorsese and DeNied movie.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3496 on: January 10, 2014, 07:16:25 AM »

Watched The Dark Knight last night. Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker was great for the type of Joker he was going for. Movie was alright. Still don't get the hype for the series. Also the whole choose one or the other sequence made absolutely no sense.

Code:
At least as I recall, Batman says he is going after Rachel, and I think Gordon says he is going after Harvey so that they can get both.....but then Batman finds Dent, and is not surprised? And Gordon ends up outside of where Rachel is? At first I was thinking that the Joker told them wrong and that what broke Dent was going to be the revelation that Batman was going to save Rachel over him, but that never happened. So did I mishear who Batman was going to go after? If not why did he say the wrong thing? If he said Dent but went after Rachel that would make sense to keep up appearances to the cops as he left, but I don't get why he would want to say Rachel and then go after Dent. Plus, how the hell did Gordon kknow Batman was going after the other one? I...?I just don't get this.

Also any attempt at calling this a realistic Batman flew at the window once they introduced cellphone sonar vision. Side note, the chase scene went on way too long.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3497 on: January 11, 2014, 08:00:13 PM »

The Impossible -

This wasn't quite what I was expecting. It's less disaster movie, and more weepy drama. The actual tsunami is a small portion of the movie. It's still horrifying, no doubt about that. I actually was uncomfortable during these scenes. You can't help but imagine yourself in the same situation. Parents separated, and trying to save their children from the effects of this mammoth wave(x2) that just crushes and devastates everything. It's crazy, because we know this actually happened. Maybe not exactly as it's shown here, but pretty darn close.
I also question how true some of the events here are. I have a very good feeling that, while the overall story is true, a lot of the details were "adjusted" to make for a more harrowing experience for the viewer.
No way did things go down in the hospital like they are shown here. It just doesn't work that way.
Both Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor invest themselves fully in their roles. Poor Naomi(or her stunt double?) goes through a LOT, and does a damn good job showing it. You can feel the pain through the screen. I cringed several times while watching.
It's definitely a good movie. It just plays up the sap a bit too much for me.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3498 on: January 11, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

Given how much the boyfriend and I enjoyed the first, we had to see this, even with the average reviews.

It's an incredibly dumb movie.  Some of the jokes are *great* (both completely silly and unexpected), some of them are really "undercooked" (like they should have sit a bit longer and thought of something simply funnier), or some just plain stupid or went on too long (and there was a lot of ...yelling...I dunno, does shouting a joke make it funnier?).... And then you get references to the first film.

On that note, the epic "turf war" sequence between all the news anchors is the biggest highlight of the movie; filled with one of the best assembled cameos ever seen:
Code:
Kanye West leads the "MTV News" team
Liam Neeson leads the History Channel news[?] team along with a Minotaur (which is just a minotaur...as a minotaur) and John C Riley as Stonewall Jackson's ghost...yes, ghost
Jim Carrey and Marion Cotillard lead the CANADIAN (yaaay!) news team and they apologize a lot
Will Smith heads the ESPN news team
Harrison Ford also drops in and transforms into a monster
Vince Vaughn comes back as the Channel 9 dude
Amy Poehler and Tina Fey come in representing Entertainment news
Oh, and Brick has both a trident and a "gun from the future"
Greg Kinnear has an odd role too.
This is among other cameos as well and a lot of the old cast returns too.

I really like the plot, of all things.  It's basically the lead up to what we have today.  Basically, Ron pitches the news as being not what we "need" but what we "want to see".  And so cute animals, car chases, and other crap take over the news in order to grab ratings!

If you liked the first film, you'll find more of the same here.  It runs a bit long for it's pure stupidity, but it's good enough entertainment.

PS: James Marsden is a beautiful man
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:08:40 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3499 on: January 13, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »

Side effects -

I quite liked this movie. It had some issues that I can't go into for fear of spoilers, but overall it was entertaining.
Jude Law is always great, and plays his part well here. Channing tatum, is, well, Channing tatum. Ugh.
Rooney Mara is pretty awesome, and sells her part well. She's been rocking the good roles.
It's hard to go into the plot of the movie without saying too much. We have a guy just getting out of jail, with his dutiful wife waiting for him.
We have a Psychiatrist who is treating the wife(Mara) for depression issues related to her husbands absence.
Then we have the woman's former psychiatrist, played by Zeta Jones. I found her role kind of lacking.
On top of all this is a lot of talk about drugs, and what they do to people. This is integral to the plot of the movie.
I was never bored, and always intrigued as to where it was going next. I was even caught off guard a couple times, which is a good thing. Either that, or I'm dense, which is always a possibility with movies like this.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3500 on: January 13, 2014, 11:24:41 PM »

Watched Dredd again. Great movie. Some reboots do get it right so lets hope Robocop follows suit:)

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3501 on: January 22, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »

World War Z -

I found this to be a very intriguing take on the classic zombie flik for about half the film. Then it just went all action movie on us, and stayed that way. The fast moving zombies are really kind of awesome, and made the early parts of the movie suspenseful, and even a little scary. Globe-trotting action hero Brad Pitt makes up the second half, and the movie grows stale. The ending was pretty lame, too, but I won't spoil it. I really want to read the book, as I hear it is WAY different than the movie.

The Hunt -

A terrific, if a bit hard to watch, film about a man falsely accused of a crime that he didn't commit. Or so we assume. I was so frustrated watching this movie. I wanted to strangle the little girl for saying what she said, not realizing the firestorm that it would set off. I also wanted to slap Lucas(the fantastic Mads Mikkelsen) upside the head for taking everything so calmly, and not fighting for his innocence harder than he does. At least until the end. The movie takes place in a small town where everyone knows each other. Can you imagine everyone you know, and those you don't, suddenly seeing you as a perverted criminal? A great film, but an unsettling one. Definitely deserves it's nom for best foreign film of the year.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:39 PM »

The book of World War Z is quite good.  I haven't seen the movie, but I've also heard over and over that it's really different from the book.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3503 on: January 22, 2014, 10:56:31 PM »

The book of World War Z is quite good.  I haven't seen the movie, but I've also heard over and over that it's really different from the book.

Augh, you saying that about a horror flick reminds me of the changes done to I am Legend.

@Grim: I watched the first 15 minutes of Side Effects and it didn't catch.but a good review is a good review, I might have to give 'er a second go.

Did a re-watch of Count of Monte Cristo after finding out the narrator in Dragon's Crown was Luigi Vampa in the film.  Love this movie

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: January 23, 2014, 12:42:35 AM »

It's still not a 100% match to the book of I Am Legend, but if you're hankering for a closer telling, you might want to check out The Last Man On Earth, with Vincent Price.

Full movie on YouTube, because it's out of copyright.

If anyone hasn't read the book, it's very worth reading.  The title is actually explained! 

Spoilers for the lazy (shame, shame):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(novel)#Plot

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3505 on: January 23, 2014, 08:27:23 PM »

My wife claims the book is awful, but we have pretty different taste in reading material, so I'll try it myself sometime.

@Grim: I watched the first 15 minutes of Side Effects and it didn't catch.but a good review is a good review, I might have to give 'er a second go.

15 minutes? That's it? You've got give any movie more than that.
It definitely had some issues that bothered me, but  all told I found it entertaining.

I've never seen nor read any of the I Am Legend movies/book. I suppose I should remedy that someday.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3506 on: January 27, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »

Definitely have to give a movie more than 15 minutes... some of my favorite movies would be awful if I based them on just the first 15 minutes haha. Side Effects was a good movie, but the beginning is definitely slow.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3507 on: January 27, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »

Haha believe me, I usually do, I think it was just bad circumstances.  Slow start, kinda sad start, then I had something to do, then school, then it got left behind.
Like I said, a good review is a good review.  And Channing Tatum is a giant throbbing bonus.

I watched It's a Disaster.  If you like dark comedies, here's your next flick! 
A bunch of couples sort out their relationships as the world is coming to an end.  The start is a bit slow, but the plot unfolds wonderfully and the end will leave you grinning!  (on the other hand, I do find dark comedies a tough sell, so if you like 'em, go for it, if you don't stay away)

Oh boy, I re-watched The Princess Diaries.  I liked it a lot as a kid, so the re-watch was for nostalgia's sake... but also because I absolutely adore Julie Andrews.  Speaking of which...

I also watched Saving Mr. Banks, the Disney-biopic of how Mary Poppins got to the big screen, or perhaps a film apologia to the original book's author, P.L. Travers (who apparently loathed the film even decades after its release).  There's something kinda whimsical and wonderful about the film, even if the tale's retelling of how Travers and Walt Disney met seemed somewhat dubious and probably romanticized (omg, they "Disney'd" a biopic about Walt Disney). 

But it's an entertaining film, with a good amount of heart and emotion.
Also, Colin Ferrel isn't aging, and his eye brows are as bold and wonderful as ever.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3508 on: January 27, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »

Haha that's fair. That happens to me sometimes too.

I recently watched Fruitvale Station. Excellent movie based on a true story that is truly appalling and makes me sick. My fiance is in public safety and the entire situation infuriated her completely. The acting was very good and the suspense is palpable. The further you get in the movie, you are on the edge because you know something bad is going to happen and the movie keeps putting the characters in situations where something bad COULD happen, but doesn't. It kind of drove me crazy haha. Highly recommended.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3509 on: January 27, 2014, 11:30:45 PM »

Watching all the Rocky movies again. On 3.  Still my favorite.

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 258 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: