Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 10:27:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332042 Posts in 13603 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 256 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 370247 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3540 on: February 11, 2014, 09:22:55 PM »

Yeah, I've got a thing for McAdams, too. Yum, indeed. I wish she would break out of the damn Romance movies, though. Try something different! Challenge yourself.
The trailer for that About Time movie definitely didn't do anything for me, that's for sure. I'll give it  a try if it ever shows up on streaming, but mostly just to look at McAdams.
(I also didn't realize that was one of the Weasleys! Weird)

Trailer really didn't do anything for me either, but the fiance wanted to see it and there are worse things than staring at Rachel McAdams for a couple hours. I didn't even realize it was a Richard Curtis movie till I looked at the case. Got me a little more interested in watching it.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3541 on: February 11, 2014, 09:47:41 PM »

Yeah, I've got a thing for McAdams, too. Yum, indeed. I wish she would break out of the damn Romance movies, though. Try something different! Challenge yourself.
The trailer for that About Time movie definitely didn't do anything for me, that's for sure. I'll give it  a try if it ever shows up on streaming, but mostly just to look at McAdams.

Trailer really didn't do anything for me either, but the fiance wanted to see it and there are worse things than staring at Rachel McAdams for a couple hours. I didn't even realize it was a Richard Curtis movie till I looked at the case. Got me a little more interested in watching it.
I didn't know it was one of his, either. Love, Actually is great.
My wife has zero interest in romance movies, so no worries for me there. ;-)

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3542 on: February 12, 2014, 09:23:08 AM »

I didn't know it was one of his, either. Love, Actually is great.
My wife has zero interest in romance movies, so no worries for me there. ;-)

My fiance almost never watches movies unless I put one in and she decides to stick around to watch it lol, but she really wanted to see this because she likes Rachel McAdams so I obliged haha.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3543 on: February 17, 2014, 07:19:37 PM »

2 VERY different movies this past weekend, but both great in their own way.

The Lego Movie -

I'm sure I'm not the only one that groaned when I first saw the trailer for The Lego Movie. I had very little hope that this could be any good. It would be a big ad for legos and that's about it. I was shocked, and very happy, when the great reviews started pouring in. I just had to see what the fuss was all about. I'm glad my initial impression was all wrong. Well, it's still sort of an ad for Legos, but it's so much more than that. This is intensely creative stuff here. It's funny, smart, satirical, and unexpectedly poignant. Almost a perfect film. The story is a bit cheesy, and has been done before in so ,many ways, but the movie makers are completely aware of this. A lot of the humor comes from making fun of these stereotypical characters and situations. I was surprised by the end how invested I had become in the movie, and the message it was presenting. They got me hook, line, and sinker with this one, and I'm perfectly ok with that. Great movie.

Schindler's List -

Surprisingly, I had not seen this before this weekend. I'm not sure how I managed to avoid it, but that error has now been resolved.
This truly is an incredible film. Very hard to watch at points, but so damn important that you can't look away.
I truly wonder how accurate this story of Oskar Schindler is. He's portrayed as a fine businessman, who slowly develops a grudging respect for his workers, and strives to keep them alive. I can't help but wonder how he avoided death. Was it all just bribes and the right words?
I was mostly impressed by Ralph Fiennes, and his portrayal of Amon Goeth. Every time he was on screen I was riveted, and a bit scared for those around him. I don't recall is he was nominated for an award for this, but he should have been.
Add in great cinematography, settings, all the fantastic bit characters, the overall look of the movie, and so much more. This is a great film, and I'm glad I finally took the time to watch it.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3544 on: February 17, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »

2 VERY different movies this past weekend, but both great in their own way.

The Lego Movie -

I'm sure I'm not the only one that groaned when I first saw the trailer for The Lego Movie. I had very little hope that this could be any good. It would be a big ad for legos and that's about it. I was shocked, and very happy, when the great reviews started pouring in. I just had to see what the fuss was all about. I'm glad my initial impression was all wrong. Well, it's still sort of an ad for Legos, but it's so much more than that. This is intensely creative stuff here. It's funny, smart, satirical, and unexpectedly poignant. Almost a perfect film. The story is a bit cheesy, and has been done before in so ,many ways, but the movie makers are completely aware of this. A lot of the humor comes from making fun of these stereotypical characters and situations. I was surprised by the end how invested I had become in the movie, and the message it was presenting. They got me hook, line, and sinker with this one, and I'm perfectly ok with that. Great movie.

Just saw it too, but one I found it interesting: I don't think the word "Lego" was uttered even once, even during the live action scene where you think it would.  I meant, the rest of the movie definitely functions as a long advertisement for the product, but I do love that it exposes just how versatile the toy can be (Western world, space world, Star Wars, Marvel, that weird cat-unicorn, etc.  Any universe can work!).

= The story was kinda cheesy, but I found it worked surprisingly well within the grander themes of being creative and tying the ideas of "Lego-the-Toy" to "Lego-the-Movie".

= Also, this movie did a great job of being JUST as much for the kids as the adults.  In fact, most of the stuff that wasn't the slap-stick humor I think was easily lost on younger audiences (like how when one of the characters was doing "Quotation Fingers" with...Lego hands).

= Chris Pratt was also perfect.  In Parks and Recreation he plays a big, dumb, lovable dog but in human form.  Here he played up the "kid at heart" who was sweet, well-meaning, and goofy.

= LOVED Charlie Day as the 1980's-something-Spaceman.  What a jolly fella.  And the scratches on his starship logo and the crack in his helmet was *amazing* (we had that same spaceman AND that SAME crack in the helmet).  The developers were very keen to how Lego acts and looks (I did love how everything was "in the instructions").  I might yell SPACESHIP every so often

= Cats, pigs, "space sounds".  I loved that they were man-made.

= Morgan Freeman's character was ridiculous...  I mean, all the characters were...but wow.

= I actually found some of the, um, Lego cameos distracting.  They were played up very well for laughs, but made an already hectic film even more loony.  On that note:

= Holy crap this movie is busy!  It does bug me that it can be really chaotic and almost schizoid about how it takes literally all and any liberties it can.  Nevertheless, the movie stills pulls of those extravagant and crazy heights in a way that felt "real to Lego" because anything goes.  ...I also loved that it looked animated and that the frames were kind of choppy; it makes Emmet jumping around look even better.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3545 on: February 17, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »

Grabbers

The Netflix description is
Residents of an Irish island must get very drunk to survive attacks by alien monsters who can't tolerate a high blood alcohol level in their victims.

Despite what the description might suggest, it was actually a fun movie to watch. It was weird that the main character was an English actor playing an Irish Garda as his accent was kind of noticeable. It was pretty cheesy throughout but the movie wouldn't have worked otherwise. You won't get a great story or deep characters but all the same I don't regret watching it.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3546 on: February 17, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »

The Vow

What fucking bullshit.

"Waaah I got amnesia, waaaaaaaaaaah I didn't know I had a husband, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah why is my husband CHANNING-FREAKING-TATUM". 

Fuck you Rachel McAdams! 
You are a hussy! 
You be grateful! 
Grateful that nice and good-looking man even cares so much!

The Croods

Liked this a lot more than the trailers led me to think!  Another case of where trailers can make good movies look bad.

Nick Cage plays a Neanderthal... probably the most appropriate role for him in years.  Bah, bad joke, but honestly the performances were great all around.  And after Frozen and a lot of other CGI films of idealized looking cartoon characters, I really loved the....rather 'beastly' looking human designs this time around (especially our heroine Eep who's extremely top-heavy).

The film is fun, creative, and finishes on a very touching note.  I recommend it!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:52:19 PM by Dice » Logged

Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3547 on: February 18, 2014, 06:16:45 AM »

The Vow

What fucking bullshit.

"Waaah I got amnesia, waaaaaaaaaaah I didn't know I had a husband, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah why is my husband CHANNING-FREAKING-TATUM". 

Fuck you Rachel McAdams! 
You are a hussy! 
You be grateful! 
Grateful that nice and good-looking man even cares so much!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:19:29 AM by Ikusagami » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3548 on: February 20, 2014, 11:08:04 PM »

Thor 2

It was really boring.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3549 on: February 21, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »

Machete Kills.
Too much.
I went in expecting over-the-top grindhouse cheesery, but what started as a cheese sandwich eventually degenerated into scarfing down spoonfuls of Velveeta.
The first movie ended with a sense of satisfaction; Machete Kills ended with a facepalm.

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3550 on: February 21, 2014, 11:47:15 PM »

Pacific Rim

If there was anything to gain from it, it's proof that giant robots and monsters can be boring.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3551 on: February 22, 2014, 07:41:35 AM »

Pacific Rim

If there was anything to gain from it, it's proof that giant robots and monsters can be boring.
Heretic!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3552 on: February 22, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »

Pacific Rim

Heretic!

Indeed. I had a lot of fun with that movie. It has issues with the story, and some lame characters, but for overall fun, it can't be beat. But I grew up watching Godzilla and Gamera movies, so I might be bias.

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3553 on: February 22, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »

Call me crazy, but I prefer either fast-paced or suspenseful action.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3554 on: February 22, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »

Call me crazy, but I prefer either fast-paced or suspenseful action.

I definitely think it suffers the same way Transformers did by having too many "people sequences".

But man, that shot of a sword in space (obviously stronger than any other arsenal including guns, cannons, or death rays) made it worth it.

Stupid thing I liked: The romance was less explicit and that they didn't go for a typical Hollywood hottie for the female role. 

Also flicks with Idris Elba automatically go up a full letter grade for me.

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 256 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: