Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 09:36:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329452 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 255 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 361148 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3615 on: March 27, 2014, 02:20:07 AM »

Dice, Jimmy, and whoever: I've only found the Hobbit movies entertaining on the surface. As soon as you start thinking about them, they completely fall apart. I actually thought the second was worse than the first. My review is in here somewhere, so I'm not re-treading it all. Too long, too much CG, too many bad action scenes, superhuman(elven) Legolas and Elf lady, and much more.

Drinking Buddies -

Nebraska -

Prisoners -

Inside Llewyn Davis -

But to be fair to this series too: After making and getting together sets, props, prosthetics, actors and all that garbage therein, it's probably legitimately cheaper to do CGI.  Also, LotR's action wasn't terribly impressive, the CGI is aging, and I'm sure Orlando Bloom makes a skateboard out of some object in each film.  To be more serious, I always found the films more impressive seen as a whole than of its parts; it's more about the larger spectacle of it all then some one thing.  Or, at the very least, because it's a better-than-average fantasy film (a genre that's surprisingly rare in the film industry but goddamn everywhere at any bookstore).  And yeah, I like the films enough even if you have to "dumb" myself down and simply enjoy.

If there is one I will say: Stoned/drunk, these are the best films to watch ever I bet.
Code:
Well, okay, most films are when you're stoned/drunk.

Thanks for the other recommendations at least.  :)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3616 on: March 27, 2014, 02:54:01 AM »

Gravity -  Do not watch this after a stressful day at work.  It will stress you out even more.  I feel like I need to do some meditation or breathing exercises.  Good movie though.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3617 on: March 27, 2014, 11:45:02 AM »

So the new Captain America is out here and I went to see it tonight.

It is an excellent, excellent movie.

More of a spy thriller/action movie than a superhero movie.

Well paced and lots of action, but not ridiculous superhero action.

Well worth your time if you even remotely like thrillers/dramas.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3618 on: March 29, 2014, 04:40:32 PM »

The Spectacular Now -

Wow. I'm on a roll with good, if not great, movies. This was fantastic, and has been on my mind since it ended. The beginning makes it look like it's going to end up being a typical teen sex/romance flik, but it diverges from that pretty quickly. Yes, it has a lot of the hallmarks of the genre, but it rises above almost every other movie about this topic. I found Sutter annoying, even after he wasn't supposed to be, but that was just his character. It's interesting that the movie chooses to tell the story about a popular kid who really has no idea how others view him. We get this same perspective, but in a far more interesting way, out of Aimee's story. Shailene Woodly has impressed me before, and she's great here. I do question the idea of her not being seen as attractive by the males of the school. Especially considering she's better looking than Brie Larson, who apparently no one questioned? They never explain why she has such low self-esteem, and can't see her own beauty(in or out). I LOVED that she's a total geek, and was into comics and sci-fi. Geek girls for the win! I question all the drinking in the movie, and how it goes by with little circumstance, and no one really bothering to talk about it, besides a brief blurb. Sad reality? This is a great movie. It tells a simply story wonderfully, without resorting to all the stupidity commonly found in movies of this type. One that I will continue to ponder long after I write this. Highly recommended.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3619 on: March 29, 2014, 05:19:10 PM »

The Spectacular Now -

Wow. I'm on a roll with good, if not great, movies. This was fantastic, and has been on my mind since it ended. The beginning makes it look like it's going to end up being a typical teen sex/romance flik, but it diverges from that pretty quickly. Yes, it has a lot of the hallmarks of the genre, but it rises above almost every other movie about this topic. I found Sutter annoying, even after he wasn't supposed to be, but that was just his character. It's interesting that the movie chooses to tell the story about a popular kid who really has no idea how others view him. We get this same perspective, but in a far more interesting way, out of Aimee's story. Shailene Woodly has impressed me before, and she's great here. I do question the idea of her not being seen as attractive by the males of the school. Especially considering she's better looking than Brie Larson, who apparently no one questioned? They never explain why she has such low self-esteem, and can't see her own beauty(in or out). I LOVED that she's a total geek, and was into comics and sci-fi. Geek girls for the win! I question all the drinking in the movie, and how it goes by with little circumstance, and no one really bothering to talk about it, besides a brief blurb. Sad reality? This is a great movie. It tells a simply story wonderfully, without resorting to all the stupidity commonly found in movies of this type. One that I will continue to ponder long after I write this. Highly recommended.

I agree with this and I loved this movie too.... But I was reaaallly let down that the final act was about a kid with goddamn absent daddy blues.  It was the same old story too:

Waaaah my dad's an alcoholic!!! (and my momma warned me!)
Waaaaaaah does that mean I'm one too?!?! 
WAAAH I'm gonna drink away my sorrows!!!!  FUCK YOU LIFE

I probably sound a bit mean with that; but I dunno; I thought they coulda done better.  His switch for it just kinda set off a bit too easily (but I may need a rewatch).

Ah well, other than that, the characters were really well-played and interesting.  I'm always a sucker for films that take place in home-like settings.  I love drawing comparisons with suburban-like families too who make do largely with what they have and achieve slowly (a reason why I think The Simpsons was such a hit with families... that and being damn funny in those days).  I think Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley have promising futures as actors -- hell, they already do now (Shailene especially; I love how she was this hot/feisty/mean teen in The Descendants, but a rather nerdy sweetheart in this).  Anyways, it was definitely not your typical teen coming-of-age story.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3620 on: March 29, 2014, 08:14:56 PM »

The Spectacular Now -

I agree with this and I loved this movie too.... But I was reaaallly let down that the final act was about a kid with goddamn absent daddy blues.  It was the same old story too:

Waaaah my dad's an alcoholic!!! (and my momma warned me!)
Waaaaaaah does that mean I'm one too?!?! 
WAAAH I'm gonna drink away my sorrows!!!!  FUCK YOU LIFE

I probably sound a bit mean with that; but I dunno; I thought they coulda done better.  His switch for it just kinda set off a bit too easily (but I may need a rewatch).

Ah well, other than that, the characters were really well-played and interesting.  I'm always a sucker for films that take place in home-like settings.  I love drawing comparisons with suburban-like families too who make do largely with what they have and achieve slowly (a reason why I think The Simpsons was such a hit with families... that and being damn funny in those days).  I think Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley have promising futures as actors -- hell, they already do now (Shailene especially; I love how she was this hot/feisty/mean teen in The Descendants, but a rather nerdy sweetheart in this).  Anyways, it was definitely not your typical teen coming-of-age story.

Yeah, I agree about the final act. Saw that coming a mile away.
On another note, I didn't even like the final scene. I feel it spoils the melancholic feel of what came before.
Code:
Not that we know exactly what is going to happen from then on. Maybe they won't get back together. Maybe she'll slap him for being an ass and not seeing her off to Philly. Who knows?
It didn't bother me that much, but I would have preferred it not be there.
The Descendants was a great movie. Wasn't she also in Life as a House? Or am I thinking of another actress? *checks IMDB* Nope, that was Jena Malone. I have little interest in Divergent, but with her in it, it makes me want to see it more. And not just because she's a beautiful lady.

Playing:
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3621 on: March 29, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »

Oh man, I *love* Life as a House even though it's pretty dumb and weird even at the best of times.  Honestly, I feel like half of the events are out of left field, based on weird emotions, or don't even make sense (or maybe it's a California thing).  I think at one point they talk about Kevin Cline's character taking really smelly shits; then everyone seems to have weird joint-showering habits; and for whatever reason Jena Malone starts cheating on her boyfriend with Cline's douchebag son while the boyfriend starts boinking her mom[?????].  FREE LOVE, MAN.
Anyways, something about Kevin Cline (whom I love love love) living life at a seaside home really tickles my fancy anyways -- and I like how the film was directed.  Another case where the mood of the film outweighs its content, IMO.

And I love Jena Malone.  She's not your typical Hollywood hottie, but everything she's been in I think she's perfectly cast.

I want to see Divergent just because I'm into those kind of films that take place in a...weird pseudo-society in a new and strange world.  No one says it's better than Hunger Games as far as the YA genre adaptions go... but to be honest, I'm surprised how well Hunger Games has translated to the big screen (ridiculousness of the Capitol aside).

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3622 on: March 29, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »

I come across The Spectacular Now at work all the time and almost check it out everytime, but then I remember I have too many movies at home already and I'll never get to it. Definitely moving it up the priority list a little though. I like me some Shailene Woodley.

Jena Malone I like too. That elevator scene in Catching Fire... lucky bastards lol.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3623 on: March 30, 2014, 11:38:57 PM »

I actually really like Life as a House as well. warts and all. It had a pretty profound effect on me, to be perfectly honest. Possibly because of personal issues, both health-related, and Dad-related.

One more thing about Spec Now:
Code:
That final scene doeasn't make sense in another way. How the hell did Sutter get accepted into college? Especially a college like a smart girl like Aimee is going to? I think it was pretty well established that he just didn't care about academics. There's no way he had time to turn it all around either.
I suppose I'm over thinking it.

I have yet to see Catching Fire. Looking forward to it.

Jena Malone = YUM.

Playing:
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3624 on: March 31, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »

Mark I think you'll like the elevator scene. It doesn't show much, but it is quite hilarious. I just checked out Spectacular Now too. Must be destiny because it was the first movie I came across when I got to work today haha.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3625 on: April 01, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »

I'm like 2 weeks behind on my movie reviews so you'll have to bare with me haha

Dallas Buyer's Club -

The performances in this movie are astonishingly good and absolutely worthy of the multiple Academy Awards bestowed upon them. Matthew McConaughey has completely changed my opinion of him the past two years. I used to think he was an overrated "star" who just did Hollywood garbage, but he has found quite the high quality independent film streak of late. It's nice to have Jared Leto back into acting as well. Always thought he was underrated. The movie itself is also absolutely worth a watch thanks to a compelling true story about the HIV/AIDS outbreak of the 1980's and a good portrait of the United States during that time. It is also a revealing look at just how bad the FDA was and continues to be at doing the right thing. The last act is probably the weakest just because we know where this is going, but Dallas Buyer's Club should be viewed by an serious film-goer.

12 Years a Slave -

A worthy best picture winner based on the excellent performances and the importance of the subject matter, but this is not an easy movie to watch. If you can't handle graphic torture scenes, stay far away. There's quite of few of them and they are brutal. I admire that the actors and actresses were willing to put themselves through it. The movie itself is a great redemption story and emotionally compelling (especially the ending), but it can be slow at times. It's not something I would probably want to watch again, but absolutely worth it at least once if you can stomach it. The average film-goer that grabs this for a watch based on its awards will not like it more than likely because it is not a mainstream audience movie, but that is not something that should take away its accomplishments on and off the film.

Frozen -

This was a little simpler than I thought going in based on the trailers I saw. The animation is absolutely gorgeous to behold and the songs, while not on the level of the golden era of Disney films, were solid. The story is predictable, but has a nice message for the little ones of just being yourself and not caring what anyone else thinks. This is an enjoyable film, but I would not put it on the level of a high quality Pixar film and am astonished at how well received it was at the box office. It made over a billion dollars worldwide at the box office! Audiences must have really wanted a blast from the past in the animation world.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3626 on: April 05, 2014, 09:44:07 PM »

Before Sunset -

I didn't like this as much as the first. It's still written very well, and has the same overall feeling, but it was missing something. Maybe that something would have happened if it wasn't so damn short(80 min!). Especially in regards to how it ended, which I just found annoying, and not satisfying. Julie Delpy still looked great, but Ethan not so much. Too much smoking perhaps? Who knows. It was still good, and I'm looking forward to seeing Before Midnight.

12 Years a Slave -

Pretty much what I was expecting. A very good movie, that could have been a great movie, if not for a few flaws. The best part, of course, is Ejiofor, who is absolutely fantastic. I didn't know who else was in this, so I was surprised as each person showed up. Cumberbatch! Fassbender! Pitt? First two were great. Fassbender in particular, who plays crazy damn well. Pitt just plays himself.
The problem I had was with the way it jumped around in time. I was confused multiple times as to when things were happening. The movie hammers home just how horrible people are capable of being. I had to look away at a few scenes, and I never do that. The story made me wonder how many other blacks went through something similar.
It's not a happy film, but it's certainly important in showcasing a sad part of our country's history.

Playing:
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3627 on: April 05, 2014, 11:06:00 PM »

Before Sunset -

I didn't like this as much as the first. It's still written very well, and has the same overall feeling, but it was missing something. Maybe that something would have happened if it wasn't so damn short(80 min!). Especially in regards to how it ended, which I just found annoying, and not satisfying. Julie Delpy still looked great, but Ethan not so much. Too much smoking perhaps? Who knows. It was still good, and I'm looking forward to seeing Before Midnight.

I liked Sunset more (but it was also the first one *I* watched, Before Sunrise came after I liked Set so much).

And yeah I don't get what happened.  Younger Hawke looked pretty damn handsome; then I guess he smoked a ton, got his heart broken by Uma Thurman, got reaaallly thin and just...never adjusted physically.

In terms of the ending, I didn't like it either when I was younger (I wanted to SEE SOMETHING!!!), but as I grew up I realized less was more (and with the third [and final?] movie, it basically solidifies the consequences of the ending and that, marriage aside, he is staying with his French flame).

"Baby, you are gonna miss that plane"

"I know."

I think a kiss or any other sort of "grand gesture" would have been kinda forced.  They were chatting and trying to rekindle something that happened almost a decade ago.  Also, Sunrise and Midnight leave time for things to happen in between a montage, but Sunset makes you watch the series of events with no break (a risky move, but I think it worked...I also have no problem taking a sort-of "virtual tour" of Paris).

Plus, their puppy love was there...it was SO there that nothing more really needed to be said.  Asking the "if you had one night to live" question was an easy trap almost for an obvious answer, and her singing a song with his name in it was just fuel on the fire.  Then there's the scene where they're in the cab; he's talking about a dream he had of her and she reaches out (but gets too shy to completely touch him):

For a movie with no kissing or sex scenes, I thought it captured love and general 'amour' for someone perfectly.  Especially in that "will-they, won't-they" aspect.

If I didn't hit on "what's missing" then I'm not sure what else to say.  Rather, it happens.  Like in a movie I saw recently....

The Grand Budapest Hotel

If you're a Wes Anderson fan, you know what you're getting into.  If you like his work, you'll love this film; if you don't, then you won't.

But anyways, and as a Wes fan, I *loved* this film.  The perfect cinematography, the cast, the messages, the homor, and the usual stylings that make his films a pleasure to watch.

Gustave, played by Ralph Fiennes, plays a *perfect* Gentleman, with great poise, a respectable attitude, a touch of brilliance, a great honesty and kindness and....he's surprisingly potty mouthed for his "character type" bursting into a "holy shit" or "what the fuck" (and its derivatives) when you least expect, but still delivered in such a subtle and soft way it's almost hard to notice --- and it's perfect.

Something did bother me about the whole ordeal.  I'm not too sure the conclusion is terribly revolutionary (the build up was probably better than conclusion itself), or if the plot is just a bit too convoluted, or maybe the sometimes awkward pacing in terms of what takes the "plot's time" up.  But i will say it has the best Klimt-esque painting of two lesbians masturbating I've ever seen and quite possible one of the greatest casts ever assembled (filled with their quirks and charms).

I really, really recommend it if you enjoy Wes' works or are in the mood for something different.  It's not without flaws, but it's a gem nonetheless.

EDIT: Grim, sorry if I quote you a lot here, but I think in some sense we have a similar taste in movies.  Not always our opinions of them (which, IMO, makes the conversations better), but more in what seems to appeal to us x)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:09:52 PM by Dice » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: April 06, 2014, 12:30:33 AM »

That makes me want to watch Gattaca again.  It's been forever.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3629 on: April 06, 2014, 12:57:26 AM »

I thought Ethan Hawke was the one who cheated on Uma. 

Anyways watched All is Lost staring Robert Redford.  There is very little dialogue in the film, which makes sense.  If I were in his situation it would be a constant stream of curse words.  Unlike me, he is a very resourceful and capable person.  He is MacGyver-esque.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 255 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: