Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 12:45:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328013 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 252 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 355933 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3630 on: April 06, 2014, 01:39:53 AM »

I thought Ethan Hawke was the one who cheated on Uma. 

Anyways watched All is Lost staring Robert Redford.  There is very little dialogue in the film, which makes sense.  If I were in his situation it would be a constant stream of curse words.  Unlike me, he is a very resourceful and capable person.  He is MacGyver-esque.

oh yeaaah... wasn't there a sexy thing with the nanny in there?  Bah.  Whatever.  This all reminds me though, I gotta see Gattaca still.

And I wanted to see All is Lost, I heard good things!!

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3631 on: April 06, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »

Gattaca is a very good movie.

Went and saw the new Captain America. It's decent, but all those people saying its the best Avengers AND superhero movie evar are seriously messed up. Not even close to either statements. I actually liked the first one more. This is just Avengers Lite without all the other characters taking away screen time from Cap (which still happens with Fury and Black Widow). Speaking of Black Widow, Scarlet Jo annoys the hell out of me in these movies. She just has that "im sexy and I know it look" and doesn't even try to act at all. Her facial expressions almost had me laughing a couple times they were so ridiculous. This is is a worthwhile movie, but a bit overrated I think.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3632 on: April 06, 2014, 09:59:14 PM »

Watched Baz Luhrman's Great Gatsby today. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed it in spite of all the criticism I remember it received when it was initially released. I've never been tremendously fond of the novel, but I was glad to see that this movie, even with its anachronistic soundtrack, stayed pretty true to the source material. The cinematography and visual effects were a nice touch. At times, the visuals and the American imitation of Victorian English society made me think the movie was somewhat steam punkish. I don't know that I'd ever consider owning it, but it was a good movie nonetheless.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3633 on: April 06, 2014, 11:03:12 PM »

Before Sunset -

I didn't like this as much as the first. It's still written very well, and has the same overall feeling, but it was missing something. Maybe that something would have happened if it wasn't so damn short(80 min!). Especially in regards to how it ended, which I just found annoying, and not satisfying. Julie Delpy still looked great, but Ethan not so much. Too much smoking perhaps? Who knows. It was still good, and I'm looking forward to seeing Before Midnight.

I liked Sunset more (but it was also the first one *I* watched, Before Sunrise came after I liked Set so much).

And yeah I don't get what happened.  Younger Hawke looked pretty damn handsome; then I guess he smoked a ton, got his heart broken by Uma Thurman, got reaaallly thin and just...never adjusted physically.

In terms of the ending, I didn't like it either when I was younger (I wanted to SEE SOMETHING!!!), but as I grew up I realized less was more (and with the third [and final?] movie, it basically solidifies the consequences of the ending and that, marriage aside, he is staying with his French flame).

"Baby, you are gonna miss that plane"

"I know."

I think a kiss or any other sort of "grand gesture" would have been kinda forced.  They were chatting and trying to rekindle something that happened almost a decade ago.  Also, Sunrise and Midnight leave time for things to happen in between a montage, but Sunset makes you watch the series of events with no break (a risky move, but I think it worked...I also have no problem taking a sort-of "virtual tour" of Paris).

Plus, their puppy love was there...it was SO there that nothing more really needed to be said.  Asking the "if you had one night to live" question was an easy trap almost for an obvious answer, and her singing a song with his name in it was just fuel on the fire.  Then there's the scene where they're in the cab; he's talking about a dream he had of her and she reaches out (but gets too shy to completely touch him):

For a movie with no kissing or sex scenes, I thought it captured love and general 'amour' for someone perfectly.  Especially in that "will-they, won't-they" aspect.

If I didn't hit on "what's missing" then I'm not sure what else to say.  Rather, it happens.  Like in a movie I saw recently....

The Grand Budapest Hotel

If you're a Wes Anderson fan, you know what you're getting into.  If you like his work, you'll love this film; if you don't, then you won't.

But anyways, and as a Wes fan, I *loved* this film.  The perfect cinematography, the cast, the messages, the homor, and the usual stylings that make his films a pleasure to watch.

Gustave, played by Ralph Fiennes, plays a *perfect* Gentleman, with great poise, a respectable attitude, a touch of brilliance, a great honesty and kindness and....he's surprisingly potty mouthed for his "character type" bursting into a "holy shit" or "what the fuck" (and its derivatives) when you least expect, but still delivered in such a subtle and soft way it's almost hard to notice --- and it's perfect.

Something did bother me about the whole ordeal.  I'm not too sure the conclusion is terribly revolutionary (the build up was probably better than conclusion itself), or if the plot is just a bit too convoluted, or maybe the sometimes awkward pacing in terms of what takes the "plot's time" up.  But i will say it has the best Klimt-esque painting of two lesbians masturbating I've ever seen and quite possible one of the greatest casts ever assembled (filled with their quirks and charms).

I really, really recommend it if you enjoy Wes' works or are in the mood for something different.  It's not without flaws, but it's a gem nonetheless.

EDIT: Grim, sorry if I quote you a lot here, but I think in some sense we have a similar taste in movies.  Not always our opinions of them (which, IMO, makes the conversations better), but more in what seems to appeal to us x)

Conversation is the whole point! Quote away!
You have an amazing memory. if I wait a week to review a movie, like I did with this one, I have a hard time remembering the details. A week. How long ago did you see it? haha.
Actually, what I really like about these movies is how "real" they are. Sure, they're probably written better than most people's conversations in real life, but everything just feels right. Like the moment you mention above. I also like that there is no guarantee that they are going to end up together in the end. Probably why I liked the ending of the first much more.
Midnight is on HBO On demand, so we'll be watching it soon.
See Gattaca. Great movie.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3634 on: April 07, 2014, 04:44:26 AM »

@Grim (too).

I'll take that recommendation.  Between reviews, you, and Blace I'm glad to hear it.

Also, not to bring up an older topic, but back onto the Spectacular Now.
Welp.... this is depressing.  I read a bit about the book and a friend of mine read it too.  Apparently the book is...more true to the title.
(I'm not gonna spoiler tag this, just skip, otherwise it's a coming of age with no BIG SECRETS)
So, apparently the ending lacks the whole meet up of Sutter and Aimee in Philadelphia.  A bit of a drag, because I liked that (a) he actually went to see her and (b) she was all sorts of emotions about it (not exclusively happy, sad, or surprised).
But Sutter's alcoholic life somewhat gets the best of him.  Specifically: He doesn't really change by the end, he lives for that "now" while Aimee, Sutter's blonde ex (forgot her name), and everyone else kinda moves on while he's stuck in his rut.  I did re-watch the film, and I think I kind of get Sutter's angle too: He got Aimee a goddamn flask for prom, and she was seen drinking with him at graduation and watched him drink and drive.  I wonder if he was worried about her spiralling too...
I do like that in both versions Aimee's turn out is better for having met Sutter (she took on his confidence, but left the baggage).  But I dunno... I think the book really kills his character arc; as is the ending for the film seems to be quite ambiguous in terms of him and Aimee as a couple, but at LEAST more optimistic about his own future and a vow to change.

The "spectacular now" indeed. =/

I fucken hate downer endings.  Movie-buff or not, I hate sad turnabouts.  I will never-ever fucking read/watch My Sister's Keeper.

However!  I think if you liked this film, you might like The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  As far as teenage coming of age films (a sort-of subgenre I like for whatever reason), I think I like it a bit more than this one for hitting higher highs, and lower lows.  ...I kinda just find it a bit more 'fun' too.

Back to "Before".  I've seen Before Sunset several times; I think it was one of the independent movies I saw when I could finally "embrace" films outside of their shock, pop, and ability to entertain the senses (hard to explain; but since the "Before" series is basically 90% talk, I hope you can get the connection that it's not your typical film to say the least).  So in that sense, Before Sunset kinda holds a special place in my movie watching.

But thanks!

IIRC, the director often comments about that one thing: I don't think he expected a sequel of Sunrise to be made (hell, this might just be the first-ever indie film TRILOGY).  It does make me kinda wish I saw the first film first; but I didn't know about the series till I saw Sunset.  As a married fella, I'm reaally keen to hear what you think about Before Midnight. :)

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3635 on: April 07, 2014, 03:12:42 PM »

Watched a couple more over the weekend.

Homefront -

Homefront is mostly just your typical Jason Statham action film, but it is livened up a bit by a scenery chewing performance from James Franco a story with enough intrigue to keep you invested until the end. The action is fairly standard for the genre at this point, but still well done. Sylvester Stallone did the screenplay, which is contrived and ridiculous in spots and could have been improved. He wrote it specifically with Statham in mind though, and it shows. It caters to his good qualities enough to make this an enjoyable B movie experience, even if it isn't exactly high quality cinema. Definitely worthwhile for action buffs or Statham fans, but little appeal beyond that really.

American Hustle -

American Hustle certainly has problems sustaining its ridiculous story and characters, but this is incredibly lively filmmaking with solid performances from every cast member. The story is kind of hard to follow at times because they try to make you look one way while doing something else the other way, but it was very enjoyable. I liked the dynamics of the characters. Christian Bale and Amy Adams in particular were the most impressive. I love Jennifer Lawrence as an actress and she is decent here, but she did not deserve an Oscar Nomination. The whole movie is gorgeous to watch and completely envelops you in its style. It's really nothing more than an incredibly stylish caper film and I don't understand why it was nominated for so many Oscars, but it is a very enjoyable couple hours if you like more mature films. Just don't go in expecting it to blow your socks off.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3636 on: April 08, 2014, 12:57:31 AM »

47 Ronin. Dunno why reviews were so blah about this one. It wasn't super fantastic but I kinda enjoyed it. Sure it was it bit "out there"  but it was fun. I guess  you just have to already enjoy the samurai mythos. Maybe  that's not an accurate statement but I got into the story..

Ok so I read a bunch of horrible reviews and watched it again..  I'm baffled at the amount of hate on this one. Seriously.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:29:48 AM by Esper_Crusader » Logged

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3637 on: April 08, 2014, 01:05:32 AM »

American Hustle -

American Hustle certainly has problems sustaining its ridiculous story and characters, but this is incredibly lively filmmaking with solid performances from every cast member. The story is kind of hard to follow at times because they try to make you look one way while doing something else the other way, but it was very enjoyable. I liked the dynamics of the characters. Christian Bale and Amy Adams in particular were the most impressive. I love Jennifer Lawrence as an actress and she is decent here, but she did not deserve an Oscar Nomination. The whole movie is gorgeous to watch and completely envelops you in its style. It's really nothing more than an incredibly stylish caper film and I don't understand why it was nominated for so many Oscars, but it is a very enjoyable couple hours if you like more mature films. Just don't go in expecting it to blow your socks off.

Yeah you and I have the exact same opinion.  I admire like crazy that the "glorious reviews" didn't worsen your opinion, rather you enjoyed it for what it was and kept the reviews separate --- that's not always easy to do.

I feel the same.  I liked the film, found it wildly *entertaining* but not enough to get why oscar nominations were being thrown at it left, right, and centre.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3638 on: April 08, 2014, 11:57:42 AM »

American Hustle -

Yeah you and I have the exact same opinion.  I admire like crazy that the "glorious reviews" didn't worsen your opinion, rather you enjoyed it for what it was and kept the reviews separate --- that's not always easy to do.

I feel the same.  I liked the film, found it wildly *entertaining* but not enough to get why oscar nominations were being thrown at it left, right, and centre.

Thanks! I always try to watch a film separate of the reviews so that I have an unbiased opinion even though I could probably recite the RT score to thousands of movies off the top of my head because I check it everyday to look at new releases and older movies I'm discovering. It's easier to do with films that have good reviews in my experience. Movies that have horrible reviews that I am not enjoying on any level I just immediately go "Yeah, they were right about this and this etc".

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3639 on: April 08, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

American Hustle -

Thanks! I always try to watch a film separate of the reviews so that I have an unbiased opinion even though I could probably recite the RT score to thousands of movies off the top of my head because I check it everyday to look at new releases and older movies I'm discovering. It's easier to do with films that have good reviews in my experience. Movies that have horrible reviews that I am not enjoying on any level I just immediately go "Yeah, they were right about this and this etc".

My review is several pages back by now, but I basically agree. A fun film, but I didn't think it was one of the best of the year. I agree on Lawrence, too. Flavor of the year, I suppose.
Like Josh, I'm a bit of  a nut for movies, and movie reviews. I follow RT a LOT, despite my issues with it, and read reviews from my few favorite reviewers. I often read them twice(once before and once after) to see how things all panned out. I'm quite good at not allowing hype, in either direction, to cloud my mind when I see a movie. I DO tend to avoid seeing poorly reviewed movies, which I may have previously been interested in, in a theater, though. When trips to the theater are limited, I'd rather go see something almost guaranteed to be great, and leave the mediocre films for home release.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3640 on: April 13, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »

Pretty disappointed in this one...

The Wolf of Wall Street -

The Wolf of Wall Street has fantastic lead performances, but Scorsese disappoints with this over indulgent mess. The story rings hollow thanks to completely unlikable characters, a far too lengthy story that is 3 hours long, and an over reliance on sex and drugs to entertain. There's moments of gleeful exuberance, but it gets exhausting after awhile watching these characters go absolutely insane on drugs. I understand that this is a cautionary tale, but they could have cut back at least a little bit. The one positive I see from this is that they allowed all of this craziness without giving it a NC17 rating. There's a ton of nudity and language to go with the drugs and sex and I don't know how they got it through the rating system, but it is a win for anti-censorship. This was definitely my least favorite of the Best Picture nominees this year. I usually love Scorsese, but he went overboard with this film.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3641 on: April 13, 2014, 09:00:31 PM »

Pretty disappointed in this one...

The Wolf of Wall Street -

The Wolf of Wall Street has fantastic lead performances, but Scorsese disappoints with this over indulgent mess. The story rings hollow thanks to completely unlikable characters, a far too lengthy story that is 3 hours long, and an over reliance on sex and drugs to entertain. There's moments of gleeful exuberance, but it gets exhausting after awhile watching these characters go absolutely insane on drugs. I understand that this is a cautionary tale, but they could have cut back at least a little bit. The one positive I see from this is that they allowed all of this craziness without giving it a NC17 rating. There's a ton of nudity and language to go with the drugs and sex and I don't know how they got it through the rating system, but it is a win for anti-censorship. This was definitely my least favorite of the Best Picture nominees this year. I usually love Scorsese, but he went overboard with this film.

Given that it was advertised and reviewed as nothing less than a "comedy of debauchery" I wasn't disappointed.  The length was an issue for me, but the rest I liked for what it was.

That, and quite frankly, these "rise and fall" plots (usually also filled with a person who succumbs to drugs or whatever) has been done SOOOOOOOO many times that I'm glad we get it played up for laughs this time.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3642 on: April 14, 2014, 02:10:22 AM »

I watched Idiocracy again tonight. Still funny and alarmingly plausible.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: April 14, 2014, 02:09:03 PM »

I like money.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3644 on: April 14, 2014, 03:48:15 PM »

I watched Idiocracy again tonight. Still funny and alarmingly plausible.

THe opening five minutes and "St. God's Hospital" gets me every time... and agreed, it feels alarmingly plausible.

Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 252 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: