Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 02:33:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341284 Posts in 13946 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 266 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 395410 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3660 on: April 19, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »

I still need to see that movie.  I thought the book was pretty enjoyable.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3661 on: April 20, 2014, 06:28:53 AM »

From what I understand, a lot of those old tales were never children's stories at all, back in their origins.  They were just general folklore.  Somehow those "fairy tales" got watered down into becoming children's stories over time.  Examples in this tangent include The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White.

Might apply to some of them, but not the Little Mermaid as the last page of the original manuscript as modified by the author is basically emotionally blackmailing children (the Little Mermaid can go to heaven sooner if you are good little boys and girls).

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3662 on: April 23, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »

I saw Amazing Spider-Man 2 tonight. I won't post spoilers.

It felt.......disjointed. That's the best word I can think of.

There is far too much focus on the love plot between Peter and Gwen. It felt like a soap opera.

The villains felt really rushed, particularly Electro. Overall, it was disappointing - which sucks because Spider-Man is my favourite comic character.

Go see Captain America 2 instead, it's a much better movie.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3663 on: April 23, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »

There is far too much focus on the love plot between Peter and Gwen. It felt like a soap opera.

The villains felt really rushed, particularly Electro. Overall, it was disappointing - which sucks because Spider-Man is my favourite comic character.

Welp. That's what they get for dumping half a dozen villains into a single movie. The law of comic book villainy conservation strikes again.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3664 on: April 23, 2014, 11:06:09 PM »

From what I understand, a lot of those old tales were never children's stories at all, back in their origins.  They were just general folklore.  Somehow those "fairy tales" got watered down into becoming children's stories over time.  Examples in this tangent include The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White.

Anyway, my drummer encouraged us (in the band) to actually watch Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.  I thought "there is no way in hell I'll watch this flick.  It looks and sounds so f'n stupid!"  But knowing that my drummer would probably pester me till I saw it (he himself had the same "man this is gonna be stupid" kneejerk), I watched it.  It was actually an enjoyable flick.  I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either and just went along for the ride.  The premise is hokey, but the film heartily commits to it.  The action scenes are good and the history parts of this "alternative history" were mostly in-tact (though some liberties were obviously taken.)  The part I remember most was how the slavery advocates did not want Lincoln to free the slaves, because
Code:
the slavers were vampires and were keeping slaves as food so that they could feed secretly and the community wouldn't know they're vampires.  So if the slaves were free, then the vampires would not be kept in check.
 Which got me to thinking about stuff like the Donner Party and the darker aspects of American history that we're NOT taught.  

My wife and I tried to watch that movie. I figured it might be schlocky fun. Too bad the story was awful, and the movie just ended up boring and no fun at all. I remember feeling like there was no good explanation for anything that was happening. I didn't even bother to write a review, and I rarely do that.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3665 on: April 24, 2014, 03:40:43 AM »

Welp. That's what they get for dumping half a dozen villains into a single movie. The law of comic book villainy conservation strikes again.

I wouldn't even say the villains are the main part of the problem. I don't actually think the villains are in it *enough* compared to the drama stuff between Gwen and Peter.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3666 on: April 24, 2014, 07:51:46 AM »

Review I've seen of it liked it. I have a distinct feeling that this movie is going to be very divisive. Oh well I'm still going to see it as I loved the first one (in large part because of the Gwen/Peter dynamic).
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3667 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:05 AM »

The one positive thing I will say about it is that they actually did nail Spider-Man.

He's much more tonally similar to what is portrayed in the comics as a wise-cracking smart-ass, and this was one thing that McGuire really liked.

Garfield is *way* more energetic as Spider-Man than Tobey was.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3668 on: April 24, 2014, 12:13:54 PM »

The one positive thing I will say about it is that they actually did nail Spider-Man.

He's much more tonally similar to what is portrayed in the comics as a wise-cracking smart-ass, and this was one thing that McGuire really liked.

Garfield is *way* more energetic as Spider-Man than Tobey was.

That continues to be a relief. Seriously Toby did Parker alright but he was a terrible Spider-Man (I seriously couldn't see an Aughts Spiderman 4 have a scene where Spiderman's running around in an ill-fitting borrowed Fantastic Four outfit with a paper bag with a single peephole over his head).

Anyways, I finally got around to watching Frozen and The Winter Soldier last 420. I kinda ruined the ending to Frozen for myself due to being dumb enough to start following a second FFXIII-1 LP. And enough has been already said here about the The Winter Soldier that I have nothing to add.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3669 on: April 24, 2014, 12:35:18 PM »

I must be in the minority because I much preferred Toby Maguire to Garfield. Amazing Spider-man was dejavu all over again for that series. Nothing really new. It was ok, but rather generic in my opinion. Number 2 looks like Spider-man 3, which is NOT good. I have a hard time getting excited about the series at this point. Pretty sad considering the first two Maguire movies were some of the best superhero films of their time.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3670 on: April 25, 2014, 11:04:08 AM »

I'm having a hard time deciding which I disliked more - Spider-Man 3 or this.

At least Sandman was done right. A lot of stuff
Code:
Harry turning into the Green Goblin, The Rhino literally being only in the last scene for about two minutes
felt very, very rushed in order to set up the next movie.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3671 on: April 25, 2014, 01:27:19 PM »

I haven't even watched the new Spiderman.  It's part of those films I don't really get why it exists since the Toby-set is feels almost literally right behind us (*I* say that, but the new generations of kids are in love with Spiderman again, getting clothes, backpacks, etc.... so marketing a-go-go!).  Are they worth watching?  The latest Spiderman doesn't sound like it is...

I don't get why we're getting reboots of ten year old films.  It's kind of surprising really, but the money's there and at least some of them are good.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3672 on: April 25, 2014, 02:30:35 PM »

I don't get why we're getting reboots of ten year old films.  It's kind of surprising really, but the money's there and at least some of them are good.

Licenses mostly. Basically, if FOX stops making Spiderman and X-Men movies, then Marvel can take back the film rights to those two franchises.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3673 on: April 25, 2014, 03:38:02 PM »

Finally watched pacific rim...fucking awesome. The acting was cheesy, the accents were terrible, and Charlie Day does not make a good scientist. But the fucking action....yes!

Also, that fucking theme. Everytime I hear it I wanna do something impressive.

TASTY!
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3674 on: April 25, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »

Licenses mostly. Basically, if FOX stops making Spiderman and X-Men movies, then Marvel can take back the film rights to those two franchises.

Huh... that answers that.  Golly, interesting incentive to make the films to say the least.\\
Finally watched pacific rim...fucking awesome. The acting was cheesy, the accents were terrible, and Charlie Day does not make a good scientist. But the fucking action....yes!

Also, that fucking theme. Everytime I hear it I wanna do something impressive.

Pirates of the Caribbean's theme made me want to do that too.
And yeah, I loved and hated Pacific Rim for the same things.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 266 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: