Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 01:39:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341281 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 266 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 395374 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3675 on: April 25, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »

I don't get why we're getting reboots of ten year old films.  It's kind of surprising really, but the money's there and at least some of them are good.

Licenses mostly. Basically, if FOX stops making Spiderman and X-Men movies, then Marvel can take back the film rights to those two franchises.

Huh... that answers that.  Golly, interesting incentive to make the films to say the least.\\

Hell, its already a race to see who can get Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch up on the screen first since both characters featured prominently in both X-Men and The Avengers.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3676 on: April 25, 2014, 11:52:16 PM »

Saw Elysium tonight. It was pretty great. The original plan was to do some grinding in Demon Gaze or Bravely Default, but I completely forgot about that because it kept me completely in the moment throughout. I thought the plot was really balanced--always moving forward but never feeling like just an excuse to tie action scenes together--and the talent were all excellent in their roles. A lot of the people I talk to have said in the past that they liked Elysium, but not as much as District 9. I have to say I liked Elysium more simply because it felt so much bigger than District 9.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3677 on: April 27, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »

Just saw Singham. What the fucked was with that ending?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3678 on: April 28, 2014, 02:40:21 AM »

The Wedding Singer. Easily Adam Sandler's best. Well, comedy anyway. Reign Over Me is the top drama.  It's super funny and just a great feel-good flick. Drew Barrymore is also incredibly hot in this movie:)

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3679 on: May 03, 2014, 09:07:56 PM »

Just saw Divergent tonight and I LOVED it!  In looking at the genre of fiction it's in, like with Hunger Games and all, I enjoyed Divergent a LOT more.  It just resonated with me more strongly and I thought the film itself was better put together than either of the Hunger Games films.  I enjoyed Tris as a protagonist (though my favorite character was probably Christina whom Zoe Kravitz played very well), the visual design was killer, and the music was pretty solid too.  The movie was long, but the pacing was immaculate.  

I want to read the books now.  Moreso than the Hunger Games books.  It's interesting seeing the themes in young adult fiction like this.  Like how stuff like Divergent or Hunger Games may be the 1984, Fahrenheit 451, or Brave New World for this generation of youths.  

I look forward to the next Divergent movie.  

In terms of trailers, I'm not interested at all in Maze Runner, but I am intrigued by Jupiter Ascending.  The latter interests me because it's a "film" film and not a film based on a comic or a novel or something like that.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:22:30 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: May 03, 2014, 11:05:23 PM »

Huh.  I didn't realize they were making a Maze Runner movie.  I read the books, and that series was pretty OK.

The premise of Divergent seemed really stupid to me - everyone falls into one of a few very specific categories, all positive?  I take it there's more that I'm not aware of?

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3681 on: May 03, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »

Of course:P  You've just bought into what the establishment wants you to believe.  It's kinda like with the American dream of a car in your garage and a chicken in your pot.  It's the dream you buy into because it's what the establishment tells you the dream is and is supposed to be.  And do you think the propaganda will tell us plebians the downsides to their manufactured utopia? 

And even then, is the whole faction system in Divergent such a silly premise?  It's happened in the real world.  Namely, the caste system in early India.  And even though that doesn't exist any more, that's still viscerally ingrained in our cultural being. 

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: May 04, 2014, 12:06:05 AM »

Ah, I see now - thanks.

It's not that the concept of a faction/caste system seemed silly - it's the specific implementation as I understood it to be in this series.  What I had seen in trailers and read on the books' dust jackets is that there are five factions, all of which are positive, and essentially EVERYONE falls into one of those factions when they're tested.  If you don't, it's so unusual that the system has no way to handle it, so you have to somehow hide your failure or you will be killed, and FYI, you're probably not going to pull it off.  And I couldn't understand how that would work.

I take it that the dust jackets oversimplified a bit TOO much.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3683 on: May 04, 2014, 01:02:42 AM »

Agreed, hated the premise, liked a lot of the rest
Code:
specifically Kate Winslet getting stabbed in the hand...woo!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3684 on: May 04, 2014, 07:35:27 AM »

Yesterday was movie day for me! Saw Amazing Spider Man 2 and Captain America 2.

Really enjoyed Amazing Spider Man 2. I know that a lot of people are complaining about the pacing, but it didn't bother me. I love the characters in the movie, the fights were good, and I really don't have any complaints about it. It probably could have been better had Harry been introduced in 1, and I'm sure it could have been tweaked to improve it some, but I still enjoyed it on the whole. I think I preferred Amazing Spider Man 1 to this one, but I would still rank this as the second best Spider Man I have seen.

Captain America 2 was good. However some of the action scenes were just soooooo freaking choppy. I nearly got a headache during the first fist fight between Captain America and the Winter Soldier because I could see skips between frames and ugh.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3685 on: May 04, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »

Another analogy about the Divergent faction premise.  It's not a far stretch from schools administering personality and career aptitude tests to give someone an idea of what job, career path, or college major they'd be be best suited for.  Essentially, you take a futuristic equivalent of a Myers-Briggs test (you know INTJ, ESFP) and once you're locked into a personality type, you join the faction best suited to said personality profile.  Then you take another battery of tests within that faction to determine what your job would be.  And since certain jobs are only available to certain factions, is that any different than some jobs only being available to people with specific degrees and/or skillsets nowadays?  And while you have the choice to defy the career aptitude test and decide to be "what you want to be," you ain't gonna get far in becoming an astronaut if you're barely passing remedial algebra. 

Basically, all I'm saying is that the premise of Divergent's world is actually fairly well grounded in the past and present of humanity (e.g. personality tests, caste system).  And besides, who hasn't asked themselves "who am I? What am I?" like a JRPG hero and wished there was some kind of helmet you could put on that tells you "this is what you should do."  Heck, I'm sure most of us are adults and STILL don't know what we should be doing with our lives.  

Rush "Subdivisions" because it's in our nature to want to categorize, put in boxes, and belong to a box.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYdQB0mkEU&feature=kp "conform or be cast out"
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:17:00 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: May 04, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »

That's good to hear.  I will have to give the books another shot.  I see them all the time, but my misconceptions have stopped me from giving them a try.  Thanks for the helpful info. :)

—Kurt Vonnegut
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3687 on: May 05, 2014, 01:53:44 AM »

God Bless America. Man.....if you despise people and modern society in general as I do, watch it. On Netflix. U shant regret it:)

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3688 on: May 11, 2014, 01:30:39 AM »

Cap: Winter Soldier.  Fucking awesome. It really is Marvels "Dark Knight". Easily their best movie.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3689 on: May 11, 2014, 09:02:59 PM »

Cap: Winter Soldier.  Fucking awesome. It really is Marvels "Dark Knight". Easily their best movie.

What?! I thought the movie was solid, but it is nowhere near Dark Knight level. You have to explain this.

Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 266 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: