Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 09:01:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334486 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 257 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 374588 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3690 on: May 12, 2014, 01:08:08 AM »

^ It told a very good story that was "in my opinion" much more complex and interesting than the usual Marvel films that rely on action and "fun".

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3691 on: May 13, 2014, 12:54:05 AM »

I liked it better than the new Batmen.

The marvel produced movies of late perfectly capture comic humor, action, and story. The casting is spot on too for all roles involved. Now I love the Nolan Batmen but they are way too serious and make Batman into some saintlike figure and I hate when they refer to him as "THE Batman."

But they do (1st 2 movies anyway) showcase Chicago and have an excellent Gary Oldman and other supporting cast. Who knows, I'm fucking drunk and rambling. I just like a more complete package and Cap'n, Thor(s), and Avengers tickled more spots than Batsy did
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3692 on: May 13, 2014, 01:19:42 AM »

I basically agree with that. The Marvel films are usually more entertainment focused and the new Batman movies were very dark. Both have merit and I liked them for different reasons but Cap 2 seemed to strike a nice balance for me.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3693 on: May 17, 2014, 01:18:54 AM »

GODZILLAA!!!!!!!

= Eh.  It's pretty stupid.  But what it does, it does *very* well.  Namely, the action.... when it happens.

= The robot-action:people-drama ratio in Pacific Rim was a lot more to the advantage of ballin' robot action than it was for cool monster-fights in Godzilla.  The buildup is a bit better for it, but the human drama (much like Pacific Rim and Transformers before it) just doesn't work or pay off that well.

= Hands down, I was *really* annoyed that the first "attack" was seen more on a TV than for the viewer.  Again, buildup....I guess that part is good... but still!

= Ken Watanabe is a DILF.

= The 'other' Olsen sister is pretty and a decent actress.  Aaron Taylor Johnson (a la Kick-ass) wasn't as impressive...
http://i.imgur.com/4JwqmZq.png?1?3289
But eh, no biggie.  Cranston and Binoche and the rest did their parts well too.

= CG was amazing, it all looked good.

= HEY WE'RE STUPID MILITARY NOBODIES.  LET'S KEEP SHOOTING LITTLE MACHINE GUN PELLET BULLETS THAT ARE LIKE SHOOTING HIGH-POWERED DUST AT A HUMAN.  HEY, IT'S COMING THIS WAY.  AUUUGH I'M DEAD lol. X___X
This happens like once every ten minutes. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:29:25 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3694 on: May 17, 2014, 01:25:36 AM »

Ken Watanabe is excellent and I'm stoked for this fillum.

This unrelated clip makes me giddy
http://youtu.be/2LqzF5WauAw
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3695 on: May 17, 2014, 01:30:18 AM »

= HEY WE'RE STUPID MILITARY NOBODIES.  LET'S KEEP SHOOTING LITTLE MACHINE GUN PELLET BULLETS THAT ARE LIKE SHOOTING HIGH-POWERED DUST AT A HUMAN.  HEY, IT'S COMING THIS WAY.  AUUUGH I'M DEAD lol. X___X
This happens like once every ten minutes. 

It's really not a Godzilla film without this to at least some degree (see also: that other "Godzilla" film with giant Raptor Godzilla and just how little is even done to stop it).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3696 on: May 17, 2014, 01:55:59 AM »

The best was Son of Godzilla when he tries to teach his son to breathe fire down and cute little puffs of smoke come out
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3697 on: May 17, 2014, 09:52:41 PM »

The best was Son of Godzilla when he tries to teach his son to breathe fire down and cute little puffs of smoke come out

Oh my god, that was the WORST. Even as a kid I was watching something awful. And not in a good way.

Godzilla:

I actually hesitate to even give it three stars(out of 5), but I figure they get credit for all the effort that went into this. Something just felt..."off" the whole time I was watching this. Probably because I grew up watching Godzilla movies, and have always loved the goofiness of the "man in suit!" masking the serious subtext.
One problem is that Godzilla just didn't look right. He was a walking stegosaurus who desperately needs to go on a diet. Why the heck did they make him so chubby? On top of this, he's not even the star of his own movie! They show a little of him here and there for most of the movie, with him finally taking center stage in the last 15 minutes. Even then, we are never really there with him as he does his monster thing.
This is a generic action movie that also happens to have monsters in it. The story is pretty weak, although I find the new "origin" of Godzilla intriguing, in addition to his supposed purpose. The actual "star" of the movie is Aaron Taylor Johnson, doing his best Channing Tatum(Jake Gylenhall, etc.) impression. He's even all buff, which I don't remember from the first Kick Ass movie.
Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe are fine in their roles, but nothing special. And yet again, we have females relegated to mostly "support your man" roles. Boooring.
I can't help but compare this to last years Pacific Rim, and I think I liked that a bit more, despite it's own flaws. It's not bad, but it's not great either. It's just mediocre, which is almost an even bigger letdown. Forgotten by the time you get home from the theater is a travesty for any movie.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3698 on: May 17, 2014, 10:57:30 PM »

I saw Godzilla a couple of nights ago.

I liked it but Godzilla is not in it enough.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3699 on: May 17, 2014, 11:36:03 PM »

While I enjoyed Godzilla, the movie did have some problems.

Like Grim, I felt like Godzilla was lacking a bit in the film, despite it being named "Godzilla." Also, the lead actor just did not have the presence to be the main character. I seriously just did not give two shits about him or his storyline. I'd rather they just kept Bryan Cranston as the main character.

Code:
The design of the enemy monsters was great, and I liked that they tried to give them a more "realistic" background then using space magic.

And while Ken Watanabe is a total DILF (methinks you and me share a taste in DILFs, Dicey), I'm pretty sure most of the scenes he was in consisted of him walking towards the camera and staring at something off screen, his mouth ajar.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3700 on: May 18, 2014, 01:04:35 AM »

I really wanted to like Godzilla...but geez did that movie fall flat on all parts. Not even the last 10 minutes made up for it. :-\ Think most of my complaints have been voiced but to toss in a few extra sub-comments.

Looks like generally spoilers are being done here but still consider this tagged as...

*SPOILER WARNINGS*

-What's sad is the reason for all the 'no-fight' fake outs is not suspense. It's because even the writers/directors knew the M.U.T.Os were really, really crappy opponents. No threat in power, side, speed, or even maneuverability (that tail whip was one of the slowest Godzilla's utilized in his combat history) and most sinful of all was the lack of any special powers. You can cry 'realistic approach' all you want but this was pretty much plucking two average joes off the street and pitting them against a mixed martial arts champion. Boring, one sided, expected out come. That why there were the double fake outs and so many cut aways is because there was no way possible to stretch that fight out at all.

And what burns even more here is the had SO MANY OUTS.

*Creatures feed on radiation? Use it to grow?

Then let the damn bomb go off! Kill one M.U.T.O, bomb explodes, remaining M.U.T.O mutates (further driving home your anti-nuke theme) and guess what? Suddenly you have an equal level fight. Which is pretty par for the course for any Godzilla era from Showa, to Heisei, to Millennium. Helll even freaking weaksauce Rodan got fire breath to be a legitimate threat.

Nope, can't do that. Gotta play 'real American hero' with Snores Mc Military.

*Big nest of creatures growing an accelerated rate? (Which, by the way, did we really have to rip off '98 Godzilla of all things by making the 3rd act 'kill the eggs!"?)
Then let the eggs hatch and make it a swarm/horde vs Godzilla. Even if individually their ability to take him down doesn't exist in such large numbers they can still be a viable threat against Godzilla.

Nope, can't do that. Snores Mc Military needs another RAH moment. ~_~;

-If '98's Godzilla earns the title 'Zilla' for not living up to the legacy. Then 2014's is what I would call Demi-Godzilla. He's not bad but so far he really leaves a rather weak first impression. To begin with this Godzilla gets knocked over by a light breeze comparatively. How much of that last fight was just a M.U.T.O going '*weak punch* -> *DGZ falls*'? And then a building falling on him knocks him out for well over 4-5+ hours? Holy crap this Godzilla has no endurance what so ever.

Additionally the Blue Spiral Ray...now that almost made me cry. I loved the new sounds, the build up was fantastic. DGZ opens his mouth and then....it's a flamethrower...a blue pixie dust flamethrower... Fault goes to the animators for this one. But DGZ's BSR just left no 'impact' in both figurative and literal senses. Watch ANY movie from the Heisei or Millennium era and you can instantly tell the difference. Sure, the actual 'effect' is of lesser caliber. But because of how they animate it, both in terms of delivery and how things/monsters react to it, you can tell it has more of that chest thumping 'BOOM' to it.

In comparison, someone told me they build a modern era Blastoise and told me they were going to show off it's ability to use Hydro Pump. The old guard did it just fine. The '98 version couldn't even bring a water pistol. 2014 tried to pass it off with a fire hose.

-Major personal opinion here...but Godzilla really shouldn't be a protagonist. This movie very much took the Showa era route, which is one of my least favorite eras. Bad/boring human sub plots + Godzilla as zero threat = no tension. The only reason the Showa era lasted as long as it did/worked with this approach is because of a variety of factors.

*It introduced all new monsters at the time that were actually on par with Godzilla.
*It wasn't afraid to do silly/goofy things to make up for the boring parts.

As much as I hate the second half of that personally, I admit it's very much what gave the Showa era any teeth at all. Sitting there bored after an hour of watching hippies dance and a rather lack luster slime monster stalemating against Godzilla for another 20? ...let's make Godzilla fly..

Just these on top of so many other problems... As much as I want them to have a second chance to make another one...the fact that people actually applauded in the theaters over some of these scenes means they'll likely just do a rehash of the same. Kinda like how we hoped Bay might not screw up the other Transformers movies and instead gave us zoom-in CIA hairy butt and Devastator scrotum in response. XP Can we just leave G-movies to the Japanese now?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:06:23 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3701 on: May 18, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »

Oh my god, that was the WORST. Even as a kid I was watching something awful. And not in a good way.
No no no no, the worst is not Son of Godzilla. The worst is All Monsters Attack.

On top of this, he's not even the star of his own movie! They show a little of him here and there for most of the movie, with him finally taking center stage in the last 15 minutes. Even then, we are never really there with him as he does his monster thing.
That sounds a lot like a Showa era Godzilla film to me (well minus the last sentence). Haven't seen too much of the later eras to know if the trend holds, but most Godzilla movies do tend to focus on the humans and then throw Godzilla in at the end with maybe a fight in the middle.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3702 on: May 18, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »

That sounds a lot like a Showa era Godzilla film to me (well minus the last sentence). Haven't seen too much of the later eras to know if the trend holds, but most Godzilla movies do tend to focus on the humans and then throw Godzilla in at the end with maybe a fight in the middle.

Heisei era films tend to behave as such.

-Human Story.
-Monster reveal.
-First skirmish (usually short).
-Human Story.
-Mid-Boss battle (about the same length and exchange as what happened at the end of 2014)
-Human Story.
-Long end of movie all out brawl.

Sometimes there's even more battles if you have more than one opponent such as M.O.G.E.R.A in vs Space Godzilla or multiple forms of an opponent such as in vs Destoroyah.

In total it normally comes out to about 25% Enemy Focus, 35-40% Godzilla Focus, 20-40% Human Focus. (And in cause you're wondering why the numbers don't flatly add up, the human stories so often intersect with Godzillas that they more 'share' story time than get their own individual focus.)

Millenium Era films tend to behave as such.

The problem with the Millennium era is that since directors and tone changed from movie to move there's no one set pattern they follow as a whole.

Godzilla 2000 and vs Megaguirus follow more of the Heisei era layout.

Godzilla against Mecha and Tokyo S.O.S are a bit more human focused and play out a bit more like the 2014 version in terms of who gets what screen time. Only the initial skirmishes aren't given cheap cop outs since Kiryu can hold his own.

Giant All Out Monsters Attack and Final Wars are very Godzilla heavy and act a bit more like 'Boss-Rush The Movie'. But both do it exceptionally well.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3703 on: May 18, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »

Ken Watanabe is excellent and I'm stoked for this fillum.

This unrelated clip makes me giddy
http://youtu.be/2LqzF5WauAw

I don't doubt it'll be a great film (cuz Nolan is the MAN and there hasn't been a film of his I haven't liked).  But the trailer really did nothing for me (doesn't help it seems to use footage from only the first main part of the film).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3704 on: May 18, 2014, 12:21:27 PM »

I can feel that, it has kind of a Contact feeling (based on the trailer).

In that most of the movie will be the buildup to the big journey.

I'm excited though. MM is a great actor when he's not being all dude-bro with his shirt off.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 257 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: