Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:32:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334699 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 258 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 375925 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3735 on: June 09, 2014, 07:22:18 PM »

Considering that this and First Class were the two best X-men movies, I'm okay with cutting those losses and retconning.  Hey, it's not like comic books don't retcon all the freaking time, right?

Yeah, the X-Men movies really needed to cut loose of that weight. Hopefully they don't mess things up as much as they did in the past now...
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3736 on: June 10, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »

Considering that this and First Class were the two best X-men movies, I'm okay with cutting those losses and retconning.  Hey, it's not like comic books don't retcon all the freaking time, right? 

I actually think the best movie is still X-2, followed by this new series.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3737 on: June 10, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »

Everyone says that, but I really didn't care about X-2.  It was good, I guess, but I certainly can't place it as "best".

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3738 on: June 10, 2014, 06:30:16 PM »

Everyone says that, but I really didn't care about X-2.  It was good, I guess, but I certainly can't place it as "best".

That's how I feel about the new one. It was good, but not "best" :P

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3739 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:20 PM »

Watched Donnie Brasco again tonight. Been a while but it's still in my top 10. Great performances from Pacino and Depp.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3740 on: June 11, 2014, 01:05:21 AM »

That's how I feel about the new one. It was good, but not "best" :P

Heh, sorry, I was planning a more impressive (or at least explanatory) post but my time got cut off.

I liked the action in it enough (certainly the bits about Phoenix, Magneto doing his awesome escape, and Lady Deathstrike [looking one million times hotter than in the comic and getting an equally devastating death]), but the basic plot just didn't feel complicated enough to move me or remain memorable.  It felt more like an extension of the first film, just instead of making everyone a mutant (a grand/complicated task on paper if there ever was one), it just turned into a "kill 'em all" using a psychic.  Eh.
Still, the performances were as good as ever, and the effects have always been good.

Along with what Dincrest said, as a whole, I think the new series is a bit stronger than the old 3.  I'm really looking forward to Apocalypse's entrance though.

Watched Donnie Brasco again tonight. Been a while but it's still in my top 10. Great performances from Pacino and Depp.

I always forget why I like this movie, then I re-watch it, and it really is just that good.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: June 12, 2014, 01:44:34 AM »

Watched Man of Tai Chi.  It was pretty good!

Keanu did a surprisingly good job of directing (although there were a few goofy shots), and I think he did a better job of acting than he usually does.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3742 on: June 12, 2014, 11:37:37 PM »

Keanu gets shit on so much..  I liked it too. And, as I've said before, 47 Ronin wasn't terrible.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: June 13, 2014, 12:46:09 AM »

I missed seeing when you said that, but it's good to know.  We picked up 47 Ronin as well, but haven't watched it yet.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3744 on: June 15, 2014, 12:28:16 AM »

Edge of Tomorrow. It was okay. Pretty much what I expected. People hate Tom Cruise but I have always enjoyed his films. It was better than Oblivion.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3745 on: June 15, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »

people that hate Tom Cruise are morons. He's been in a ton of great movies and he gives great performances
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: June 15, 2014, 11:38:43 AM »

Tom Cruise seems like a crazy person in real life, but he's definitely made some entertaining movies.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3747 on: June 15, 2014, 12:01:49 PM »

Tom Cruise seems like a crazy person in real life, but he's definitely made some entertaining movies.

I get that with Kanye West.  I hate him as a person (and his lyrics are stupid as hell), but the guy knows what a catchy song is.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3748 on: June 15, 2014, 11:13:26 PM »

How to Train Your Dragon 2 -

The first movie, 5 years ago, was such a wonderful surprise. I was pretty happy when they announced that a sequel was coming, but kept my expectations in check. I really don't allow myself to get to excited about any movie until reviews start showing up. The first trailer for this was weak, and left me worried that they didn't know how to follow up the original. I'm happy to say that they succeeded quite well! They pushed the story forward 5 years, which I think was a smart move, story-wise, as the characters are now all young adults(+/- 20?). The movie looks amazing, and has all sorts of dragon flying, which helps to show off the world better. Hiccups mom is an awesome character, and added a lot to the story. Unfortunately, though, there was very little character development outside of her, Hiccup, and Stoic. The surrounding characters all kind of act the same as they did 5 years ago, except now they are love crazy. I found this a bit overdone and annoying, but it didn't really hurt the movie. I was surprised how emotional some of the scenes were! Totally caught me off guard. was it as good as the first? I'll have to think on that for a bit. It's definitely a great movie, though, and I very much recommend. it.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3749 on: June 16, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »

Yup, saw it too

How to Train Your Dragon 2

= The first film was indeed that "pleasant surprise" out of Dreamworks (who otherwise have...a not so hot reputation more often than not).  The sequel is great and "worthy" of the series.

= There's less bad than good in this, and i can summarize it quickly...
So on a quick negative: The first movie had a TON of heart, and a great sense of character/plot growth and development...  This was more an established world and throws you right into the action and at a high pace.  Good in some respects, but creates quite the contrast with the first title; a lot more feels like it's happening and I'm not sure the balance they strike really works...  It emphasizes certain scenes but makes a mess of the plot progression.

= Also, while I know this is a family movie, I did get annoyed that most violence had the camera change shots so you couldn't see it.  Sound effects for said violence was either hushed or muted entirely.  I get why, but c'mon... I don't think our youth are THAT sensitive.  Still, I did like that even FOR a Family film, the plot and humour is never really too cheesy and there is really NO groan-worthy moments.  The one duet that starts with Stoic and his wifey becomes much more uplifting (unlike say a Disney tune that keep the mellow beat and romantic vibe the entire two-three minutes).  Well done!

= Music is *amazing*.  John Powell killed it the first time around and similarly made an up beat, Scottish-sounding, and wonderful soundtrack.  I was oddly fond of the Powell/Jønsi mix as well that starts somewhat like dance music but combines the orchestrated version of the main theme quite nicely http://youtu.be/HHOwYqxBbWU

= To counter that, I *loved* the "new world" of Humans x Dragons that we see; the five year gap works really well.  The new technologies are both fun and interesting and it works to see Hiccup (who was more of an "inventor" than warrior amongst his Viking clan)... and yeah, motherfucking fire sword.  Hiccup takes a level in how to be a badass and also "Neville Longbottomed"..  The character models look wonderful, they aged nicely and are made with a lot of cartoon love and respect for variety (i.e.; unlike how Frozen's leading ladies look almost EXACTLY like Rapunzel from Tangled...).  This was especially important in the fun and interesting Dragon designs where none two are alike and all look unique for some feature they embody.

= New character additions aren't bad either.  Eret is played by Kit Harrington (aka "You know nothin' Jon Snow") the good/bad guy, Cate Blanchett plays Hiccups long lost mum (who is both commanding and vulnerable), and Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond, Gladiator) as the main villain... a frightening but frighteningly under-developed and trope-y villain.... ah well.

= Grim didn't care for the love plot; I kind of agree, but I liked the goofy resolution (because it's true) :P
Ironically, the main couple from the first film (Astrid x Hiccup) get little screentime; but I did like what/when they shared the time together.

= One thing I liked was how the first (and this) film focus a lot on "how dragons live", their sort of nuances, customs and behaviours --- I like that this film also touches on what humans do (Stoic and Valka doing a jig; the viking funeral, etc.).

= Hah... crazy cat dragon lady. :P

= I think background gags are hilarious and painfully underused.  This movie had a few where characters are talking, usually about something serious, and something amusing is happening in the background.

= Anyways, it must be said too; the cinematography is absolutely *amazing*.  Shots are carefully framed, assuming because they took every liberty to match the storyboard artist's visions.  The colour is both vivid and realistic, using atmospheric depth to demonstrate how big scenery is (which works when your plot is about dragons).  A scene with Valka, brilliantly armored, standing on her Dragon and an even larger one consuming the background drives the art direction to glorify scenes just through merely a good set up.

Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 258 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: