Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 08:40:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334846 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 378336 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3810 on: August 22, 2014, 01:51:02 AM »

Watched Ninja Turtles.  It was bizarre in a word....not terrible I suppose. To be honest, the original 90's version wouldn't fly these days.

Thinking about it, a lot of movies made in the 90s wouldn't fly today (i.e.; it's "blockbuser-material or bust")

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3811 on: September 02, 2014, 12:39:22 AM »

Watching Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It's one movie I can watch endlessly. It's nearly flawless.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3812 on: September 02, 2014, 12:55:37 AM »

Except that Indiana Jones manages to get sidetracked at every turn and ends up contributing absolutely nothing in regards to the main plot.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

This tomb will be your grave

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3813 on: September 02, 2014, 01:31:34 AM »

Except that Indiana Jones manages to get sidetracked at every turn and ends up contributing absolutely nothing in regards to the main plot.

A few years back in the cafeteria of my old dorm I nearly got in a fistfight with some guy because I had the audacity to suggest romancing the stone was a better flick that RotLA.  That guy was a dick and I still stand by that decision.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:34:40 AM by glassjawsh » Logged

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3814 on: September 02, 2014, 01:38:45 AM »

I have been meaning to watch that for a while. I know it's a copycat, but I'm still curious to check it out.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3815 on: September 03, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »

^^ I like both of those films, but RotLA has been one of my favorites of all time since I was but a lad. So of course, I am biased. I should watch RtS again, though. Haven't seen that in years...

Anyway, Saw Attack the Block last night. 'Tis an entertaining and unique flick about a group of hood rats fighting off a small-scale alien invasion in England. I always appreciate a non-Hollywood take on things, and this one did not disappoint. The monsters are effectively creepy, and (most of) the acting is good. Nice amount of humor and gore thrown in. The thick English accents were tough to for my 'Murican ass to follow at first, but then I got used to it. I felt like Antonio Banderas in the 13th Warrior at that point.
Not really much to go into detail over. Not to say that it's a shallow film. It's just one of those that should be seen and experienced to be appreciated. I enjoyed it. Recommended for those who like sci-fi/monster flicks.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

This tomb will be your grave

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3816 on: September 03, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »

I have been meaning to watch that for a while. I know it's a copycat, but I'm still curious to check it out.

I always liked Michael Douglas, he's no Harrison Ford at his best but he usually ends up in something solid and I've yet to see him phone anything  in (read: Ford in Hollywood Homicide).  That being said Kathleen Turner in her prime is about as premium choice grade A lean cut as they come, and the she was 10 times the actress Karen Allen ever was. That and RtS gets 1000 bonus points for featuring Danny Devito being Danny Devito as fuck. 

natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3817 on: September 04, 2014, 09:51:58 AM »

The Big Year - A film about 3 dudes (played by Jack Black; Owen Wilson; and Steve Martin) who decide to go for a "big year". Basically, they want to be able to spot as many different bird species as possible within the span of... wait for it... a year. The standing record holder is Owen Wilson's character (Bostick, or something like that), who believes others are out to break said record, so he sets out again to compete with others. The other 2 main characters are moreso out for the thrill and personal accomplishment of it all.
You'd think with those 3 names, it would be ripe with comedy gold. Well, it is... sorta. It's actually a light hearted comedy-drama. Plays it safe. Nothing crazy or outright hilarious happens (not that it needs to). The film just sort of moves along. Don't get me wrong, though. It's not a bad or boring film by any means. There are funny moments; other moments that make you feel all warm and happy inside; and others yet that may tug on the ol' heart strings a little.
It is interesting to see and hear about the different bird species, and the scenery/locations where they shot the film are beautiful. Overall, I enjoyed it. It's one of those I wouldn't be scrambling to see, but if it came on TV, or a buddy asked me to watch it with him/her, I'd gladly do so.
Based upon the reviews and ratings out there, I was expecting it to be a terrible film. I think that's just a result of the reactions of sheeple that were looking for the typical loud sounds; flashing lights; and scandalous plot lines.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3818 on: September 04, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »

^that all sounds like something Mesh made up
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3819 on: September 06, 2014, 08:13:53 AM »

Watched Ninja Turtles.  It was bizarre in a word....not terrible I suppose. To be honest, the original 90's version wouldn't fly these days.

Thinking about it, a lot of movies made in the 90s wouldn't fly today (i.e.; it's "blockbuser-material or bust")

1990 Turtles was good.  Jim Henson puppeteering, great one-liners (e.g. Donatello: "You're claustrophobic" Casey Jones: "You want a fist in the mouth? I've never even looked at another guy before."), a murky look and feel in line with the original Eastman and Laird comics (which were pretty dark, violent, and had saltier dialogue than the kiddie cartoon), and some good battle scenes... with weapons!  The sequels were bad.  I was having a conversation with someone (I can't remember if it was a bandmate or a co-worker who wants to start a comic book club) and it dawned on him why the sequels were bad- they fought hand-to-hand and didn't really fight with weapons because of the parental backlash to the 1990 Turtles film.  

EDIT: The only thing I didn't like was that they ate Dominos Pizza.  Dominos was terrible back then.  They're a lot better now, but still nowhere near as good as the local mom 'n pop pizza shop. 

That being said, I do think 1990s trends are starting to make a comeback, given the whole "20 year cycle" thing.  Remember how in the 1970s, retro-trends from the 1950s were hip again.  In the 1980s, retro-trends from the 1960s were hip again.  In the 1990s, retro-trends from the 1970s were hip again.  In the 2000s, retro-trends from the 1980s were hip again.  And in the 2010s, I'm seeing some 1990s revivals- like a lot of kids at the high school I work at are into Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.  
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:21:10 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3820 on: September 08, 2014, 12:28:30 AM »

Music wise.. I still say Rock Band, Guitar Hero and drunk uncles are a big part of that:) On topic: I finally watched The Raid after hearing about it for a while. WOW! Super violent! Loved it!

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3821 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:51 AM »

EDIT: The only thing I didn't like was that they ate Dominos Pizza.  Dominos was terrible back then.  They're a lot better now, but still nowhere near as good as the local mom 'n pop pizza shop. 

That being said, I do think 1990s trends are starting to make a comeback, given the whole "20 year cycle" thing.  Remember how in the 1970s, retro-trends from the 1950s were hip again.  In the 1980s, retro-trends from the 1960s were hip again.  In the 1990s, retro-trends from the 1970s were hip again.  In the 2000s, retro-trends from the 1980s were hip again.  And in the 2010s, I'm seeing some 1990s revivals- like a lot of kids at the high school I work at are into Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.  

My only problem with this is that the 90s sucked (except for video games and some of the anime).

Also, if anything the Turtles eating Dominos made complete sense because what other pizza would've gotten flushed down into the sewers and thus would they have gotten a taste for back in the day?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: September 08, 2014, 09:18:37 AM »

I'm thinking that if you hated the 90s, you're about to have a bad time.  Because Dincrest is totally right about the Circle of Retro Life.  We're old enough to remember. :)  (But if it makes him feel better, I will freely admit that I'm older than him.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3823 on: September 08, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »

Every decade has its ridiculousness, especially in fashion, where we ask ourselves, "What were we thinking?"  Whether it's dayglo color of 1980s fashion or the ludicrously baggy JNCO or Kikwear jeans of the 1990s.  Then you ask yourself- what extreme is worse?  JNCOs so baggy you could fit a family of 5 in one pant leg, or the current trend of "nut hugger" jeans that are so f'n tight you can barely walk in them?  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:30:29 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3824 on: September 08, 2014, 11:26:48 PM »

Die Hard With A Vengeance.  Second best one.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: