Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« Reply #4845 on: January 30, 2017, 11:41:35 AM »
If you think that's the worst movie ever made, you have missed out on a lot of truly terrible movies.

Seriously. Even though I haven't seen it, something tells me Suicide Squad is at least a little better than the stuff one can find on MST3K.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: January 30, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »
So what was it about Suicide Squad that made Arti think of Nazi propaganda?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: January 30, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »
Like that statement, Suicide Squad could be described as hyperbolic? ;)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: January 30, 2017, 01:28:31 PM »
suicide squad more like suicide

Alex D.

• View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: January 30, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »
I recently saw "The End of the Tour" on Netflix and it's pretty good for a bio pic drama. Segel and Eisenberg have an excellent on-screen chemistry. The rest of the cast is, I don't know, mediocre. Out of curiousity I might pick up a book from David Foster Wallace.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4850 on: February 03, 2017, 06:58:56 PM »
In the TV/Media class I support a special-needs student in, we watched the documentary The Hollywood Complex, following the trials of a bunch of families in the Oakwood Apartments in L.A. trying to make their children Hollywood stars.  The teacher felt that this was important to watch, because you need to know the dark side of the film/media industry.  The bright lights and glitter come at a price.  I found the film eye-opening and in some ways it reminded me of stuff my voiceover coach told me and stuff I did when playing in gigging bands (particularly Pool of Thorns.)  If you ever look at child stars who go completely cuckoo, well, The Hollywood Complex offers a good glimpse as to why. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: February 04, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »

I thought Rogue One was the absolute best Star Wars film since the original trilogy, but I have encountered a small handful of people who thought it was terrible. 

Finally saw this on Thursday (it's still showing, there were 3 other people in the theater).  I couldn't agree more.  Other than a few "because Star Wars" moments, it was wildly enjoyable and ended up being my favorite SW title outside of Empire and A New Hope. Better than VII (and I loved VII)
Spoiler: show
because I wasn't irritated for half the film when they just randomly gifted characters super powers

and very possibly the best Gaiden style film ever as well.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:36:32 AM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4852 on: February 04, 2017, 11:27:41 AM »
All I needed to say about Rogue One, I said in the Star Wars thread: http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=15979.msg416473#msg416473

You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: February 11, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »
Saw The Lego Batman Movie. Very funny, and basically what I wish the Kingdom Hearts games were like story and content-wise (i.e. never taking themselves too seriously, with plenty humor adults and children alike can appreciate).
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: February 12, 2017, 12:19:04 AM »
John Wick 2....fucking astounding movie. Way bettet than part 1, which was already a great movie. Go see it asap.

TASTY!

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: February 14, 2017, 11:42:10 AM »
I'll definitely see John Wick 2, but for now I can just agree on Lego Batman. Awesome movie. I think it really brings extra fun for anyone who knows the old TV show, the comics, and the live action movies, without alienating anyone who only has a basic awareness that those things exist.

For example, Billy Dee Williams plays Two Face, which is a great easter egg for anyone who remembers that he played Harvey Dent in the 1989 Tim Burton Batman. But if you didn't know that, it's not like it'll cause you any trouble.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: February 14, 2017, 12:27:08 PM »
I've been looking forward to John Wick 2 even more than I was looking forward to Rogue One. 

I can't even comprehend how it could be better than the first.  That was one of the craziest movies I've ever seen.  It was everything that crappy movies like Crank and the Expendables attempted to be.  A movie (outside of the 80's)  that tried to be as awesome as possible and succeeded is a site to behold (and treasure forever).

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: February 14, 2017, 02:27:47 PM »
I've been looking forward to John Wick 2 even more than I was looking forward to Rogue One. 

I can't even comprehend how it could be better than the first.  That was one of the craziest movies I've ever seen.  It was everything that crappy movies like Crank and the Expendables attempted to be.  A movie (outside of the 80's)  that tried to be as awesome as possible and succeeded is a site to behold (and treasure forever).
In every way recordably possible did John Wick 2 outperform its predecessor. It was astounding how amazingly insane it was. From tactical shooting to melee combat to story progression to even character development, Wick 2 was an improvement over an already awesome film.

TASTY!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: February 14, 2017, 04:44:01 PM »
I watched John Wick 1 finally and yeah I can understand why everyone liked this one, it's pretty fun even by action movie standards.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: February 15, 2017, 01:49:29 AM »
Also 50 shades of Black.

Lol.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.