Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 10:46:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337993 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Americans seeing and hearing more profanity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Americans seeing and hearing more profanity  (Read 2338 times)
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 05:35:59 PM »

Bollocks has become my favorite curse word since I visited England, Deggers.

What bothers me, is not cursing, but people making uninformed comments that actually bear no truth.  You can say as many curse words as you want, if you are saying something intelligent.  What bothers me is when someone says something that just has no merit.

I suppose everyone really has a tolerance level.  It's not the swearing that bothers me, it's just people being fucking ignorant.  :P

Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 06:02:14 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
What bothers me, is not cursing, but people making uninformed comments that actually bear no truth.  You can say as many curse words as you want, if you are saying something intelligent.  What bothers me is when someone says something that just has no merit.

yes thats very true, I could go on about debating, hell I could even make a debate out of it (please excuse the pun and comically placed curse word). but since the topic is about cursing im just working with what ive got. For example - if I were debating a topic like.. say.. cloning, I would personaly find it very offensive, rude and misplaced if someone yelled "what the fuck does that have to do with anything? clones are fucking horrible" as a rebuttal.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 07:16:40 PM »

Fuck yeah Los...those goddam ex-hippie Halliburton groupies and their moronic bullshit can suck my dog's hairy cock.  Give me intelligence or give me hot sex with Jessica Alba!

Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 07:54:55 PM »

When I am working with my friends laying tile, we all curse like sailors. What is also fun is the constant cheap shots about how you work. It doesnt matter how stright my tile is or how well I nail down durock, its always "shitwork".

My family all swears alot, but when I think about it, its mostly my sisters and I. My parents try and hold it back, but it usually fails. We all know when it is and isnt cool, so we dont get into to much trouble for it.

Now for what pisses me off...

Anyone who lives in the south could attest to this, I'm sure. I could say fuck and whore and all that one million times and most people wouldnt think twice. When you say "god dam", the shit hits the fan. I love it when people drop their jaw when I say it. I dont toss it around alot, but when I hurt myself or something, thats usually what comes out of my mouth.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 09:15:52 PM »

Quote from: "Haven"

Anyone who lives in the south could attest to this, I'm sure. I could say fuck and whore and all that one million times and most people wouldnt think twice. When you say "god dam", the shit hits the fan. I love it when people drop their jaw when I say it. I dont toss it around alot, but when I hurt myself or something, thats usually what comes out of my mouth.

Oh hell yes.  That's the worst thing you could ever say in the Bible Belt. :P

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 10:57:26 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Cursing isn't a big deal for me. I personally don't curse very often, but that's not because of some moral standpoint. I rarely feel the need to use curse words, as I'm fully able to express my viewpoint without using expletives.

Same with me really. I tend to not swear unless I'm trying to put A LOT of emphasis on something. But I have no big deal with people who do swear a lot. Personally, I find language to be arbitrary. What is considered vulgar in one language or area of the world may not be elsewhere. I was fairly surprised when I found out "shit" wasn't considered vulgar in many English speaking countries and that they used the word often. Because of this I have no problem saying or hearing cuss words. But I try really hard to respect others' beliefs on the matter by not swearing if I know they find it offensive. Though I have been known to fail at this XD
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 10:50:51 AM »

Damn. Screw it. What the hell?

That's about the maximum profanity of my common vocabulary. That is to say, I have used words like the F-word in times of extreme anger, but even then try to refrain myself from breaching my code of moral conduct. I believe in the power of words, that they should be treated with caution and I believe that God loves the believer who does not partake in verbal shamelessness and vulgarity.

There are ways to convey my point without swearing. So yes, swearing is a big deal to me. I dislike it when my friends swear and they normally make a note to stop themselves or apologize whenever I'm around. This is mainly in real life. When I'm online it isn't the same because of the diverse cultures and different individuals; I don't have the right to tell the people I barely know not to swear. All I can do is say that I don't like it.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 11:37:59 AM »

Who the fuck cares if people fucking swear? They are just fucking words people. It's not like my head is going to suddenly fucking explode if I say the word fuck. Hell, I say fuck a lot. I know a lot of elitist assholes who say that swearing shows that you are ignorant and shit. You know what? Fuck that. I choose to swear because I find the impact of saying swears to some people amusing. Sure, there is a time when swearing isn't appropriate, but other than those times, who the fuck cares if I swear? If it offends you, or you think you are morally superior to me for swearing, I don't really care.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 11:41:04 AM »

I don't care about swearing one way or the other. If you want to use it, fine. If you don't, that's fine too. They're just words, morality isn't really something you use to limit something as trivial as this. Tact? Common sense? These work fine. Morality? Not so much. There's nothing amoral about using curse words liberally.

That being said, I'm not much of a sailor mouth. I don't care about swearing, but I don't make it into a habit either. I use the appropriate words for the appropriate occasions, and if they just happen to be swear words, then hey, I'll swear.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 12:20:31 PM »

Quote from: "Daggerstrike"
Who the fuck cares if people fucking swear? They are just fucking words people. It's not like my head is going to suddenly fucking explode if I say the word fuck. Hell, I say fuck a lot. I know a lot of elitist assholes who say that swearing shows that you are ignorant and shit. You know what? Fuck that. I choose to swear because I find the impact of saying swears to some people amusing. Sure, there is a time when swearing isn't appropriate, but other than those times, who the fuck cares if I swear? If it offends you, or you think you are morally superior to me for swearing, I don't really care.

Fuck you.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 12:29:37 PM »

Too many people get wrapped up in the words themselves.  I know a couple of pretty devout clergy who swear like sailors, but I wouldn't call it profane or vulgar.  I mean, I'm sure if my grandmother listened to a Ventrilo conversation during my WoW guild's raids she'd think we all wanted to seriously kill each other, but fuck, we're just shitting around.
Takabo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 03:44:04 PM »

I thought this was pretty fucking funny.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2006, 12:27:14 AM »

Quote from: "Dade the Ass McLaren"

Fuck you.

Fuck you too!

I should also note that I DID grow up around sailors.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2006, 02:08:25 AM »

That explains things...lots of different things. :P

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2006, 09:13:54 AM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"

That explains things...lots of different things. :P

.....I hate you.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: