Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:49:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341009 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  WoW: Wrath of the Lich King: A New Expansion: :::
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: WoW: Wrath of the Lich King: A New Expansion: :::  (Read 7732 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2007, 03:15:04 PM »

Read it, bitches.

Is it still too early to make comparisons to the neverending expansion machine that was Everquest?  Because that's the vibe I'm getting. :P

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »

HOLY SHIT.

Awesome@Death Knight thing.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Valthrudnir

egokrvsher
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:00:03 PM »

It seems way too soon for an expansion. We wait three years for an expansion, then an announcement comes for the second expansion only six months into Burning Crusade. Granted, I'm not bitching. More content is always good, but not the rapid release strategy that Everquest had in its later days.

If the expansion doesn't have a long period until the release, I'll never get to run Black Temple or Hyjal. It would end up being like running Molten Core now. Fucking pointless aside from some sort of nostalgia.

I'm a bit weary about the Death Knight. I'm really hoping it isn't a paladin with a shadow tree instead of a holy tree.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 06:08:07 PM »

I was wondering when Arthas would make a come back. :P
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 06:13:20 PM »

Everyone who is saying that it is too soon for an expansion just needs to shut the fuck up. This is probably about a year away. Blizzard has stated that they intend to do a new expansion every year or so. This should not be news to you. You had 6 months to prepare for the announcement.

The sad news is that DK might be the only hero class. That would suck. I want a couple choices dammit.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 06:15:33 PM »

Another level cap raise is good. People bitch about it over at the official forums, which I can't get(Except in regards to making it harder to have alts. Though that is solvable by reworking exp from 30-60, something people have been asking for anyway). I think wiping out MMO endgame is something that needs done now and then and a ten level raise does that.

I just hope they don't have, or minimize anti scaling stats. Seeing my crit plumet as I supposedly got stronger didn't make me too happy in TBC.

Death knight I don't know about. I think I would rather have had hero classes be extentions of current classes once they hit max level. Death knight can only be overpowered or a disapointed because it isn't overpowered.

Edit-Good to see Arthas/Lich king though. I'm glad they aren't 'saving' him for the next RTS a few years down the line. Now, let's just advance some plot with more then quest text..
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 07:12:24 PM »

Siege weapons and destructable buildings has me excited.  But never getting past level 40 hampers things for me.  :P

Cool that Arthas is back though.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 05:38:02 PM »

I'll say what I said when TBC was announced: I'm kinda disappointed that I won't be able to run any of the old end game content. Granted, that is completely my fault, being a very casual player and all, but it's a very large and interesting part of the game that I would like to experience and now all of this new end game stuff is going to be old.

I will accept that my viewpoint is rather silly considering that I don't play WoW as much as I should if I really wanted to experience the end game stuff, but I still think that the elimination of old endgame is annoying for the casuals.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 05:51:23 PM »

Well remember, this is Blizzard we're talking about here.  If we're actually dicking around in Northrend by this time next year, I'll be stunned.  There's still plenty of time to get far enough along to do Kara or Zul'Aman, even if you play two days a week like I do.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 09:27:29 PM »

So I don't know if anywhere has posted the description of a hero class, but it appears to be unlocked the way you unlock jobs in FFXI - you do a series of quests (about equivalent in difficulty to the warlock epic mount quest), you unlock that class to create a new toon as.

New toon starts off 50~60 (not finalized).

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 11:31:50 PM »

I dunno, I'm firmly in the skeptic camp on this one.  BC had some interesting elements to it (including the very awesome addition of paladins to the horde).  This one, eh, I dunno.  The death knight scheme seems really iffy to me where they're tanking with a 2h/DW.  Frankly, unless they got some ridiculous passive boost to armor (which would make rogues et al. somewhat obsolete), I just don't see how it'd work.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 12:54:47 PM »

Or they have insane health regen...which is highly possible. Like oh I dunno....an AOE insta cast Drain Life.

Wow that'd kinda be sick.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 02:25:03 PM »

I swear, the more I think about this death knight thing, the more I imagine the current class balance being left in smoking ruin. :P

Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »

My wife and I attended Blizzcon last weekend and sat in on the class discussion panels. They briefly talked about the Deathknight class, but did not offer much more then any websites already have.

By default he seems like a melee class that can put runes on his weapon that give him spells and abilities. Both Alliance and Horde have equal access to the class, but i cant even fathom how they will tie the lore in with that one. Especially after Arthas became a Deathknight and pretty much wiped out a good portion of the human population.

Sounds fun, and i am confident that it will offer some more playability to the game.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 09:27:16 PM »

Quote from: "Jylan"
Both Alliance and Horde have equal access to the class, but i cant even fathom how they will tie the lore in with that one. Especially after Arthas became a Deathknight and pretty much wiped out a good portion of the human population.

I think it's safe to say at this point that the mythical Warcraft "lore" isn't much of a factor in the direction of World of Warcraft.  Death knights were a popular idea thrown about on the Blizzard official forums, so it's really little surprise to me that they ended up happening, even if it was a slightly different approach as a hero class rather than a new class altogether.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: