Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 03:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338598 Posts in 13860 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  WoW: Wrath of the Lich King: A New Expansion: :::
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: WoW: Wrath of the Lich King: A New Expansion: :::  (Read 7698 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »

I wrote some sort of preview.

http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/wow-lichking/index.html

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 08:07:29 PM »

I kinda hope that they will put some sort of graphical update in the expansion. I mean, the graphics are very nice and easy on the eyes, but I really wouldn't mind some higher poly models and higher res textures. Maybe for the third expansion...
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

SummonerDio@msn.com Diobility Diobility
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 01:24:45 PM »

I'm slightly disappointed in this. For those of us who have a limited amount of time, we probably won't see the Black Temple for a long time... And when the expansion comes, no one will ever want to go, since it'll be obsolete. That's what got on my nerves about the Burning Crusade expansion. It pretty much left Blackwing Lair, Ahn'Qiraj and Naxxramas all dead, since it had nothing to offer, as far as gear is concerned. I wanted to complete those raids, but it's hard to convince 39 other people to do it, if they find it's not worth it. Now it'll be hard to convince 24 other people to go through The Eye or Black Temple, after this expansion hits. It seems like either they are catering to the hardcore raiders that are already at the Black Temple, or they are catering to the ones that will never raid at all. Don't get me wrong. I think it's great to add content. I just wished they didn't raid the level cap, so at least the burning crusade content can be maintained and all the hard work you go through to get the gear to progress further won't get dumped in the end, for some stupid greens... And now this will make Azeroth even more craptastic, since it'll be alonger grind. They really need to examine the content between lvl 20 to 60, because the old quests are garbage.

To talk about the expansion itself, I agree, I think it's great to see the Lich King make a return. At least they're checking out Naxxramas, again. The engineers being able to make their own flying mounts is pretty awesome. I wonder if they'll look like F14's or something. Haha!

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 01:47:06 PM »

Quote from: "Dio"
And now this will make Azeroth even more craptastic, since it'll be alonger grind. They really need to examine the content between lvl 20 to 60, because the old quests are garbage.

I agree with this, especially now that I'm levelling my lock.  But I tell you, TBC added several new quests in the old areas that have really helped me out with the process.  Hell, the new quests in Forest Song alone have made a significant impact in how I've levelled this new character.  I used to hit 30, finish up what I could in Duskwood, then hit the hunting camp in STV, the raceway in Shimmering Flats, and try to find something to do in Desolace.  With the new quests in Forest Song, I was able to hit level 32 before stepping foot in STV, and I've been able to fly through the above zones faster than I ever have, and not just because I'm not a paladin this time. :P

If Blizzard would just add a new questgiver or two to each zone, you'd see improvement.

On a completely different note, I really hope they don't make Arthas out to be a little bitch like they did Illidan.  He needs to be like, I don't know, the Doctor Doom of Warcraft or something; you might foil his shit, but you damn sure won't ever beat him.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 01:56:01 PM »

There were some hints dropped at BlizzCon that there would be more 1-60 content added, but they wouldn't go in depth on what it was, or how much there would be.

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 03:20:06 PM »

If they just reworked MC, Naxx, BT, etc. to have 5 man options with drops just as good as the other 5 mans of their level, this could bring people to revisit these zones.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 03:42:03 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"
If they just reworked MC, Naxx, BT, etc. to have 5 man options with drops just as good as the other 5 mans of their level, this could bring people to revisit these zones.

Hell...make them a 10 man and make the gear worth a damn or put new gear in there....and you'd have a new Kara.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 03:45:43 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"

There's a 95% chance that a re-worked Naxx will be the first 25-man of Lich King; they pretty much confirmed it at BlizzCon.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 05:24:54 PM »

Quote from: "Dio"
It seems like either they are catering to the hardcore raiders that are already at the Black Temple, or they are catering to the ones that will never raid at all.

I disagree about the catering to hardcore raiders (I agree about the other part, any nub can get awesome epics through arena at the moment)

They've been nerfing things left and right lately:

-no SSC or TK key needed

-as of next patch, many high-end bosses will be a hell of a lot easier due to removing the random factor of certain bosses (which I don't view as a bad thing. It just makes it more difficult).  There was also a few different versions of Illidan, which I assume to make him easier.

-SSC trash is going to be near a joke soon and if TK isn't included, it will soon follow.

However, they are catering to them somewhat in that there is supposed to be one more 25 man dungeon before the next expansion pack hits that will supposedly give better loots than Illidan (thus most likely harder).  Some think it will deal with the dragonflight, some think it will deal with the Sunwell.  We'll see I guess.

On a completely different note, I really hope they don't make Arthas out to be a little bitch like they did Illidan. He needs to be like, I don't know, the Doctor Doom of Warcraft or something; you might foil his shit, but you damn sure won't ever beat him.

I agree.  Granted, only 51 guilds in the world have killed him at the moment (only 21 US guilds) which isn't that much.  I'd like to see some form of cockblock for Illidan that stops shit like what Nihilum did for Illidan (for those who don't know, when they first got to Illidan they played pretty much 24 hours straight to make sure they would down him before the server reset).  I don't really think what they had for the original Nefarian was a good idea, but maybe 3-4 attempts per night instead.  Probably won't happen though.

-----As for the Deathknight, I'm just worried about balance issues in pvp and raids.  We don't know what kind of things Blizzard has in plans for the classes talent trees, but at the moment they are looking like they could either:

a.) Become the new rogues and not be used in raids

or

b.) Be given nice utility that it pushes other classes out (rogues, hunters - assuming they aren't given a new utility to make them more wanted).  

Ideally it'd be nice to see more classes have equal ability in raids so everyone is wanted equally.  We'll see in the upcoming months.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 06:16:42 PM »

Quote from: "Akanbe-"
(I agree about the other part, any nub can get awesome epics through arena at the moment)

Interestingly enough my Kara group fell apart primarily because the arena epics, more easily and cheaply acquired, pretty much were on par to or better than anything in Kara (I mean depending on the class it's equivalent to or better than the tier 5 pieces...), so they didn't want to bother with it.  Or something like that.  So much for only rewarding the best pvpers. :P  I mean, you could be the worst PVPers in the world and still end up getting arena gear at some point, much like the horribly abused BG honor system.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 11:17:49 AM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
Quote from: "Akanbe-"
(I agree about the other part, any nub can get awesome epics through arena at the moment)

Interestingly enough my Kara group fell apart primarily because the arena epics, more easily and cheaply acquired, pretty much were on par to or better than anything in Kara (I mean depending on the class it's equivalent to or better than the tier 5 pieces...), so they didn't want to bother with it.  Or something like that.  So much for only rewarding the best pvpers. :P  I mean, you could be the worst PVPers in the world and still end up getting arena gear at some point, much like the horribly abused BG honor system.

That sucks that your group fell apart because of that.  I thought Kara was a pretty fun instance.  After you run it for awhile it gets annoying though.

The season 2 arena gear seems to be pretty close to on par PvE wise with SSC/TK gear (depending on your class - holy priest pvp set is shit for PvE; minus maybe one piece) which I think is a little ridiculous because of it's ease of getting loot.  I am VERY casual when it comes to PvP and I could get a new piece every 3 weeks.  Really any nub with patience can get at least t5 caliber weapons in a month-ish, maybe slightly longer.

What makes things worse is on our server both alliance and horde sell arena rating services for gold.  I remember in season 1 that someone paid 2 of the most well-known pvpers on my server 2,000g each (i believe around there) for them to get his 3v3 team high enough so he could get the gladiator title and a swift armored netherdrake.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2007, 10:02:02 PM »

I just wished they didn't raise the level cap

I think it's something that needs to be done. Exploring and questing needs rewards and experience is it. If the expansion were to come and the cap was the same going through the new areas would just be something to ride through as quickly as possible on the way to a town or dungeon. With a raised cap you'll play the areas as you work towards getting more talent points to go down expanded talent trees.

More importantly the clean slate is something I think MMO's need now and then too. Otherwise you get something like FFXI..a game that never changes.

For losing out on dungeons like black temple, a expansion would mean I'd never get to see it, but then would I ever get to see it either way? It'd be great if I was wrong, but I think that the answer is probably no. But then, assides from missing out on having big name bosses, I'm perfectly happy with 10 mans as long as they can keep rolling them out.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 01:40:40 AM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
I swear, the more I think about this death knight thing, the more I imagine the current class balance being left in smoking ruin. :P

I am immediately seeing the CU-era Star Wars Galaxies, when everyone was grinding their normal professions as fast as they could so they could unlock the Village and be a Jedi. That's what I see happening soon: anyone who's "elite" will be a Death Knight, and anyone who isn't a Death Knight will die a lot.

That having been said, there were bounty hunter/medic players who could wreak havoc with multiple DOT's and snares. But since Force Run broke all snares instantly and prevented them for the duration of its effect, that still usually resulted in the Jedi killing the BH.

Prepare for battlegrounds full of these guys within three months of the release of the expansion, especially after people get to see how much ass they kick in PTR. It may be wise for Blizzard to prevent Hero Class characters from entering PVP battlegrounds and raid groups until more of them are available, so as not to create an Alpha Class.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 03:25:18 AM »

Quote from: "Dave"
...So as not to create an Alpha Class.

Which is totally gonna be what happens.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 12:35:02 PM »

Quote from: "Dave"
Quote from: "D-Rider"
I swear, the more I think about this death knight thing, the more I imagine the current class balance being left in smoking ruin. :P

I am immediately seeing the CU-era Star Wars Galaxies, when everyone was grinding their normal professions as fast as they could so they could unlock the Village and be a Jedi. That's what I see happening soon: anyone who's "elite" will be a Death Knight, and anyone who isn't a Death Knight will die a lot.

That having been said, there were bounty hunter/medic players who could wreak havoc with multiple DOT's and snares. But since Force Run broke all snares instantly and prevented them for the duration of its effect, that still usually resulted in the Jedi killing the BH.

Prepare for battlegrounds full of these guys within three months of the release of the expansion, especially after people get to see how much ass they kick in PTR. It may be wise for Blizzard to prevent Hero Class characters from entering PVP battlegrounds and raid groups until more of them are available, so as not to create an Alpha Class.

The term "Hero Class" simply means it starts at a higher level then any of the others, and is loosely based on an Hero character from Warcraft III. They have stated from the get go the intention is not to make them a superior class, but one to work alongside the others. How this will actually look come release? Well............ :)

I thought the current plan was  everyone gets a Deathknight unlocked with WOTLK, provided your the appropriate level. In order to get his powers and abilities, you need to complete a series of quests as the Deathknight, rumored to be through Strat.

I'll see if i can find the article i read on that.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: