Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335269 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Any FFXI players still around and Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Any FFXI players still around and Discussion  (Read 24505 times)
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 09:34:14 PM »

I don't want this thread to become a "Final Fantasy XI vs. World of Warcraft" spitting match, because frankly, those discussions are ultimately fruitless.  I prefer the former game because the difficulty level is much higher, and again, the focus is on long-term goals rather than short-term instant gratification.  

A good example of this?  Crafting.  A World of Warcraft player (with a decent supply of money available) can max out a craft in a single day.  When everyone is running around with max craftsmanship, it removes any and all "demand" and "uniqueness" for said craft.  It's not special anymore.  The same feat in Final Fantasy XI can take /years/ to accomplish, and max craftsmen are highly demanded and widely respected for their dedication to a task which is, admittedly, extremely expensive and quite tedious.  This, in my opinion, makes Final Fantasy XI's system more "rewarding" to me.  Others will say it's "not fun," or encourages "e-penis" masturbation, etc.  To each his own.

A little disclaimer: I played World of Warcraft from launch day and quit 3 months later.  Since then, I don't know if the crafting system has undergone changes, but back when I played, it was like I described above.

EDIT -
Said game above provides a lot of solo options that do not entail grinding endlessly on mobs.

Most of World of Warcraft's solo quests are either A) of the "fetch" variety, or B) involve collecting a certain number of drops from various monsters, which again, boils down to one thing - grinding mobs.  It's still boring.

So does every other MMORPG out there at some point or another. By giving players solo options, I don't see how you are taking away from this.

Final Fantasy XI has solo options.  The Beastmaster class was /designed/ for solo play.  Black Mages can solo efficiently (using hit-and-run tactics) while simultaneously searching for a group.  Red Mages, with good gear and player skill, have killed Genbu, Amikiri, and other "notorious monsters" that normally require parties of 6-18 players.  Dragoons with the White Mage support job can solo enemies while wyverns heal them.  Solo options exist, they are simply /discouraged/ and less efficient compared to the traditional "party" setup.  To me, encouraging solo play in a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE ROLE PLAYING GAME seems a little... ironic?

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 03:46:04 AM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
I don't want this thread to become a "Final Fantasy XI vs. World of Warcraft" spitting match...[Big Ass Rant Removed]

Good job with that.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 06:47:06 AM »

This is a Final Fantasy XI thread, and yet, certain individuals run in and start throwing around, in more or less words, "FINAL FANTASY XI PLAYERS CAN'T SOLO, BUT WORLD OF WARCRAFT SURE DID IT RIGHT!"  I've heard it a hundred times and it's still stupid, because A) Several classes can solo effectively in Final Fantasy XI, B) Not everyone WANTS to solo in an online game, and C) No one cares.

In the first 15 threads in this forum, 8 are World of Warcraft related.  If you like WoW, that's marvelous, discuss it in one of the aforementioned threads. :P

Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 08:41:58 AM »

It's one of the reasons why I avoid RPGFan's MMORPG forums.

I play WoW, I used to play FFXI. I still don't understand why some WoW players feel the need to go in and bash FFXI at every opportunity they find. I dont see why former-FFXI-now-WoW-players are so butthurt that they feel as if they must purge every FFXI player that actually ENJOYS the game they pay for. It's not only on RPGFan forums either, WoW BG is just like that as well, every week I see a "FFXI is gay" or a variant of some form there. It's stupid. The two games are very different among each other, targetting different audiences as well.

With that said, let me talk about my view on FFXI.

I liked my time on FFXI and I still appreciate some things in the game. Unfortunately it requires more time and dedication than I can give to a MMO right now. I understand Alisha's (STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE 2H BUFF ON BG OMG) point on MMORPG and interaction, I felt the same way when I moved from RO to FFXI, but really, everyone should have the choice between soloing and partying with the game naturally favoring partying through better rewards (be it exp or items). Looking for party for 1hr or so isnt fun, and not being able to do anything in the meantime doesn't make it any better. Besides, when you commit yourself to party it's "polite" to stay for at least 1hr unless the party blows, add in the time it takes to reach the leveling camps, getting everyone ready and set... in the end you have to have a couple hours at your disposal if you want to get something done, and that kinda sucks.
I like being able to log on for 30mins, hunt down random stuff and then log off. In that aspect I loved the Assault system, it's just so straight-forward and yet so versatile... FFXI needs more activities like that.
Another thing FFXI lacks, that I like seeing in any game I play is: Customization. There's very little difference between my Elvaan PLD and the Elvaan PLD next to him, at most one or two gear pieces and some merits of little relevance. (And plz dont even bring up "PL4Y3R SK1LLZ" bs into this) So I hope SE's next MMO is better in that regard.

Of course, FFXI has other positive aspects other people have stressed before, such as the storyline and the beautiful world of Vana'Diel SE has created and all, but I won't go into those aspects because they have been mentioned already.

All in all... FFXI is a good game, if you have the time to dedicate yourself to it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention, FFXI needs to be more newbie friendly. Any new player that is thrown in Vana'diel without a veteran friend will most likely get bored and drop the game after a week. It's just too hard to get a fresh start there. Sadly.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 09:47:04 AM »

Quote from: "Ventrue"
(STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE 2H BUFF ON BG OMG)

No complaints here.  Except from the DRG, perhaps. ;)

(No Mighty Strikes or STR Merits... Just Aggressor, Berserk, Warcry, Barone Set, Optical Hat, Pallas' Bracelets, and a Grip.  And I was subbing NIN.)

Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »

(STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE 2H BUFF ON BG OMG)

No complaints here.  Except from the DRG, perhaps. ;)

(No Mighty Strikes or STR Merits... Just Aggressor, Berserk, Warcry, Barone Set, Optical Hat, Pallas' Bracelets, and a Grip.  And I was subbing NIN.)
Haha I was referring to Alisha actually X) She kept posting along with other MNKs about how 2H needs nerf and how MNK had become obsolete :(

I didn't know BG forums' Alisha and RPGFan's Alisha were the same person until she put the same sig on both forums ~.~

It's cool to see Great Axe getting some well-deserved lovin' after all these years.. People will still camp for Ridill though, right? =P
Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 01:23:33 PM »

A good example of this?  Crafting.  A World of Warcraft player (with a decent supply of money available) can max out a craft in a single day.  When everyone is running around with max craftsmanship, it removes any and all "demand" and "uniqueness" for said craft.  It's not special anymore.  The same feat in Final Fantasy XI can take /years/ to accomplish, and max craftsmen are highly demanded and widely respected for their dedication to a task which is, admittedly, extremely expensive and quite tedious.  This, in my opinion, makes Final Fantasy XI's system more "rewarding" to me.  Others will say it's "not fun," or encourages "e-penis" masturbation, etc.  To each his own.

A little disclaimer: I played World of Warcraft from launch day and quit 3 months later.  Since then, I don't know if the crafting system has undergone changes, but back when I played, it was like I described above.

I agree with you. Trade skills have always felt tacked on and secondary to the game with World of Warcraft.

Quote from: "shiguma"
This is a Final Fantasy XI thread, and yet, certain individuals run in and start throwing around, in more or less words, "FINAL FANTASY XI PLAYERS CAN'T SOLO, BUT WORLD OF WARCRAFT SURE DID IT RIGHT!" I've heard it a hundred times and it's still stupid, because A) Several classes can solo effectively in Final Fantasy XI, B) Not everyone WANTS to solo in an online game, and C) No one cares.

Just because i point out what I considered flaws in a game, does not mean i hate it or think it sucks. I am getting bored of World of Warcraft. You can only level up Alt # X so many times, and run Instance Y for the umpteenth time before it all becomes tedious. I don't raid much, but I do enjoy single party content. This is why I asked my original question :P, i want to know if the game would be more enjoyable since when I played it last.

It looks fun, and my wife and I are both considering giving the game a chance. She has never played FFXI, but has played a little EQ2 and WoW. There were a couple of questions I forgot to ask in my original post.

1.) Do you still need a world-pass to play on the same server?

2.)Are healers still the pre-dominate needed class? I enjoy playing healing classes, so this usually works in my favor.

3.) How hard is it to get a group in general?

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 02:02:12 PM »

Quote from: "Jylan"

It looks fun, and my wife and I are both considering giving the game a chance. She has never played FFXI, but has played a little EQ2 and WoW. There were a couple of questions I forgot to ask in my original post.

2.)Are healers still the pre-dominate needed class? I enjoy playing healing classes, so this usually works in my favor.

1.) No. And there is a World Transfer service now too, in case your old char still exists but you want to play on some other server.

2.) Red Mage, Bards, Corsairs... :P Everybody loves them.

3.) Tough question, I think it varies with server, timezone, level and job. I played on Sylph, and over there the so-called "EU Prime-time" sucked balls because I could never find a single soul LFP, but I heard it's different on some servers, like Phoenix. But as a general rule, since the release of ToAU up to March of this year (when I quit) finding low level parties had been harder than high level ones. It's faster to level now too though
Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 08:21:19 PM »

Quote from: "Jylan"

1.) No. And there is a World Transfer service now too, in case your old char still exists but you want to play on some other server.

2.) Red Mage, Bards, Corsairs... :P Everybody loves them.

3.) Tough question, I think it varies with server, timezone, level and job. I played on Sylph, and over there the so-called "EU Prime-time" sucked balls because I could never find a single soul LFP, but I heard it's different on some servers, like Phoenix. But as a general rule, since the release of ToAU up to March of this year (when I quit) finding low level parties had been harder than high level ones. It's faster to level now too though

Thanks.

Going to take a look into it a bit more. They have a nice new player guide on the website i have been watching on and off today.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2007, 12:01:07 AM »

Haha I was referring to Alisha actually X) She kept posting along with other MNKs about how 2H needs nerf and how MNK had become obsolete :(

I know, I was trying to say "Alisha is understandably miffed about the 2H weapon buff, but *I* am lovin' it." :)

I definitely recommend re-activating your account (or playing again, if it's still active).  The changes SE has made to the game recently have been a pleasant surprise.

ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2007, 12:08:08 AM »

This is a Final Fantasy XI thread, and yet, certain individuals run in and start throwing around, in more or less words, "FINAL FANTASY XI PLAYERS CAN'T SOLO, BUT WORLD OF WARCRAFT SURE DID IT RIGHT!"  I've heard it a hundred times and it's still stupid, because A) Several classes can solo effectively in Final Fantasy XI, B) Not everyone WANTS to solo in an online game, and C) No one cares.

In the first 15 threads in this forum, 8 are World of Warcraft related.  If you like WoW, that's marvelous, discuss it in one of the aforementioned threads. :P

And FFXI players don't do the same exact thing? Try MENTIONING you like WoW in ANY LS and you better get a god damn flame suit on, 'cause it's going to be BRUTAL. Also, you mentioned "several" classes can solo, fine. But does everyone REALLY want to play a BST? Seriously, letting every job solo to some extent would not take away from the game's team oriented style of play, since it would surely be much slower and a group is still needed for any of the end game content that's worth doing, much like in WoW. Also, just because something takes LONGER to do, doesn't exactly mean it's harder.

With that said, FFXI is still a great game, and a very different one from pretty much every other MMO out there. If only they would add better PvP to it so people can do something a bit more fun while LFP, I'd love it even more. Here's hoping WotG will add something like that.

Question: Anyone think SE will ever add the ability of breaking a character away from one account and transfer it to another one? You see, when I first started playing FFXI 3 years ago, my younger sister was still in high School, so she had to use the same account as me, because she had no money or the foresight to get her own account. Years later, I come back into the game after a long break, and she wants to play as well, and it'd be incredibly handy to know someone that's close to me that's actually a great tank .they can do it like WoW, where the account that the character is being transfered to still has to be owned by the same person, I'd be fine with that.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2007, 10:07:48 AM »

I know, I was trying to say "Alisha is understandably miffed about the 2H weapon buff, but *I* am lovin' it." :)

I definitely recommend re-activating your account (or playing again, if it's still active).  The changes SE has made to the game recently have been a pleasant surprise.

My acc is still active, I let an old friend take care of it. I logged on a few days ago, played my WAR for a bit, but when I thought of all the stuff I had to do and all the time I would have to invest to pick up the slack... I just logged off again :/ If I had more free time then maybe ^^; Sometimes (specially when I start reading stuff about the new expansion) I think of just making a new character and getting a fresh start, playing casually and enjoying the game thoroughly taking just some stuff from my old char with me, but again, when I think of the time and work I'll need to invest to re-do CoP, ZM and all that stuff, I just give up. >.< Oh well..

I played on Sylph btw
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2007, 11:23:44 AM »

In other news...

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7785/9393c961c1eb4ba59c58386rj3.swf

(a common reaction for anyone who gets a Ridill)

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2007, 12:12:13 PM »

That's the best video of all time.

Just banged out ~70,000 Limit Points in about 4 hours on Greater Colibri, party was 5x WAR/NIN and 1x BRD/WHM. Chain 162 for the freakin' win.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2007, 03:09:46 PM »

i want to clairify something. i wasnt miffed about the 2H buff persay. i do enjoy playing drg after all.

it was the combination of the 2h buff,1h got an accidental nerf though i wonder if it was a temporairly intentional thing,and lastly SE hasnt thrown monk a bone in a longass time unless you count +mind and vit gear as bones.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: