Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 01:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319300 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Any FFXI players still around and Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Any FFXI players still around and Discussion  (Read 22102 times)
Alenicus

Sniperwolf2468
View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2007, 01:59:34 AM »

I was just wanting to see who all here still plays FFXI?

my character is Thrati on Leviathan lol.

who here is also excited for Wings of the Goddess coming this winter? I have to get two copies of it :( I play on both xbox 360 and PC lol

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 06:12:15 AM »

My character, Aeliana (Leviathan), still lives.  She's 75 RDM, 75 WAR, 60 BLM.  But I've lost interest for the most part, mainly because working full-time + MMORPGs is a difficult combination.  I can't devote myself to a fantasy world day and night like I could back in college.

Alenicus

Sniperwolf2468
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 01:07:18 PM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
My character, Aeliana (Leviathan), still lives.  She's 75 RDM, 75 WAR, 60 BLM.  But I've lost interest for the most part, mainly because working full-time + MMORPGs is a difficult combination.  I can't devote myself to a fantasy world day and night like I could back in college.

I hear you on that shiguma, i'm about to be switched to Full-Time in a few weeks :(

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 06:20:43 PM »

I recently bought a complete Final Fantasy XI package, with three expansion packs. I'm going to start it soon. Is the game as fun as people say it is? The others like World of Warcraft, Everquest, Ultimata Online, and Guild Wars, don't really interest me, despite the latter looking pretty nice.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 06:42:29 PM »

Quote from: "Miho"
The others like World of Warcraft, Everquest, Ultimata Online, and Guild Wars, don't really interest me, despite the latter looking pretty nice.

Um...yikes...good luck with that.

I've played a ton of MMO's (starting with EQ, then Dark Age of Camelot, to SWG for a short time and then to WoW) and I think FFXI was the weakest of them all. It's tedious as all shit.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 09:15:22 PM »

From my short experience with it (I bought the pack about a year ago and played for the free month) it was enjoyable, but it was rather slow and challenging. I think 8-ish hours gave me about 7 levels as opposed to the comparatively fast leveling in WoW. I think a good way to describe it would be "old school". The best way to find out whether you like it or not is to just try it for the free month.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 09:51:14 PM »

Quote from: "superflat"
From my short experience with it (I bought the pack about a year ago and played for the free month) it was enjoyable, but it was rather slow and challenging. I think 8-ish hours gave me about 7 levels as opposed to the comparatively fast leveling in WoW. I think a good way to describe it would be "old school". The best way to find out whether you like it or not is to just try it for the free month.

See, the thing is that they've fixed most of the "old school challenge" aspect of the game now.  I played for a year and a half and spent a large amount of that time getting 2 classes to 75, but from what I've heard from people who still play it's much easier to level now.  Back in my day we got to exp chain 5/6 and considered that good, but now it seems chains just go on and on to atleast 20.  They've made many attempts to make the game more casual, as that was the biggest complaint once WoW came out.  I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but I played it right at release, so it's fairly dated now.

Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 02:00:58 AM »

Shit, I remember those days. I also remember losing a level and like a prior night's work cause some douche bag wasnt paying attention.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 04:04:46 AM »

Quote from: "Haven"
Shit, I remember those days. I also remember losing a level and like a prior night's work cause some douche bag wasnt paying attention.

unless you are like soloing for shitty exp a death wont erase a prior nights work >_>

as for me i still play ffxi i have monk and bluemage at 75. i think the main reason i stayed with it as opposed to say WoW is that i find it more aesthetically pleasing plus in wow i doubt i could punch and kick things to death without being a gimp rouge. i'm sorta looking forward to WotG but not much has been revealed yet.

Back in my day we got to exp chain 5/6 and considered that good, but now it seems chains just go on and on to atleast 20.

chain #20 at 75 is pretty weak. chain#200 for the win.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 04:56:37 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
unless you are like soloing for shitty exp a death wont erase a prior nights work >_>

If the exp party from the previous night was slow/shitty or disbanded quickly, it's certainly possible, lol.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 09:54:58 AM »

I'm taking a short break for now, but yeah, I'm still playing. Level 75 NIN and no other jobs going up really much, so I'm open to doing some stuff with some low level people when I get back to it. I've been doing a lot of endgame stuff mostly, so I only have one high-level job.

FFXI is fun, that's pretty much the reason I've been playing it for 2 1/2 years...or however long its been out, anyway. I think FFXI is really a love-it or hate-it game in a lot of cases, as well as being a huge timesink.

Yeah, exping is a lot easier from mid-levels up now (A good party averages about 10k/hour when you're doing merit parties), but low levels are still just as annoying because nobody is willing to experiment with certain areas, and you end up in overcrowded areas where it's hard as hell to find something to kill.

Compared to other MMOs, the only other one I've played for a relatively extended period of time (to me, at least) is WoW, mainly because I have  a lot of real life friends that also play it. The setting, art style and control for FFXI are what push it for me, I suppose.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 10:14:24 AM »

I play FFXI and I love it. It has a linear plot: not an easy thing to do with an MMO. Seriously, the plot to each expansion is what drove me to keep playing. Call me crazy.

I'm a WHM75, name's "Tonelico" on the Leviathan server. I'm currently working on taking SMN to 75 as well. I'm rank 10 in Windurst, I've cleared Zilart and Promathia missions (working on getting "Apocalypse Nigh" completed now), and I'm caught up on Aht Urhgan missions (the next update will complete the AU plot!!!).

The LS I'm in regularly does sky and sea ... I'm not a big fan of sky, don't regularly attend it, but I LOVE sea. We've killed Jailer of Love multiple times, and we've seen (and run far far away from) Absolute Virtue. So I'd consider myself an end-game player. :P

Ramza

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 03:36:09 PM »

Played FFXI since launch, I have a lvl 75 RDM, NIN, and BST.  Now I pretty much log on when they post new missions, have some interesting new content, or when friends ask me and I feel like it.  I play WoW nowadays, as much as I loved the class system, the storyline, and the graphics of FFXI, I really like WoW's pacing.  The whole soloing, partying, economy is much less headache inducing than FFXI.  I hope SE is learning from this and will make their next MMO more user friendly.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 01:51:45 PM »

You know years ago when I first came to these boards (before I started playing MMO's) I used to read the FF Xi thread daily and wonder what it would be like to get into an MMO community. I can safely say that RPGfan was the reason for me getting into MMO's. I played on Unicorn or a year or so before moving to Lineage 2 and finally onto WoW. Playing FF XI was a great pleasure and I'll never forget the old memories, good times.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 02:12:39 AM »

Just wanted to say that today marked the final release in the Aht Urhgan saga. I'm finishing up the story-based missions now, and I'm very excited about it.

IMO, the plot was great. Gameplay was so-so, but they really worked hard to make this story interesting. And I liked it. Hopefully I'll like the ending too. ^^

Ramza

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: