Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 06:59:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327171 Posts in 13392 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Any FFXI players still around and Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Any FFXI players still around and Discussion  (Read 23117 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 02:46:04 AM »

they also gave a gigantic boost to 2 handed weapons and slightly nerfed one handed weapons. saw a pld do a 2k ground strike. my monk feels threatend =(

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 05:16:14 AM »

Reading up on it I think my thief would cry sad mithra tears if I still played. Two handers have needed fixed for like two years, but it just looks like a ridiculously lopsided buff combined with a nerf to one hand potential damage so it can't possible keep up. And thieves were already struggling to keep up.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 05:38:41 AM »

It appears the glorious days of WAR/NIN + DW 1H Axes + Rampage spam have come to an end.  I, too, am sad.  I really hope SE learned a lot from their experience w/ FFXI and their next MMO comes off as a little more balanced and user-friendly.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 05:47:36 AM »

I don't think 1H jobs should feel threatened. They will still be plenty useful. Now, IMO, things just make sense, as they ought. Big 2H weapons will do big numbers, but dual-wielding 1H weapons will pull out fast damage and build TP just as fast as the 2H-ers.

One thing it does kill though, IMO, is the shield. Outside of PLD usage, shields were already dumb. Now PLDs are gonna want to 2H (using a grip of course), so shields are probably going down the drain.

Today I was in a merit party as WHM/NIN, and I was trading out between staff and 2x club (skilling up both weapons currently). I was doing adequate damage with both ... for a WHM anyway. Previously, staff was so gimp I could hardly do anything with it. Now I feel like I can freely use either to do relatively good damage, which is nice.

WAR/NINs will still be useful, mark my words. It's just, now, they won't be the *only* thing that's useful. WAR/SAM will probably get some attention for TP build on 2H. And lord knows this update helps all the DRKs and DRGs out there. Poor lil guys.

Ramza

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 06:01:42 AM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
It appears the glorious days of WAR/NIN + DW 1H Axes + Rampage spam have come to an end.

Ironically they'll be fine. They even adjusted raging rush to use the same crit mechanics as rampage.
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007, 12:15:36 PM »

As soon as I heard of the new patch for DRKs I fired up my account again and I gotta say, I'm impressed. Too bad this seems like it'll be very short lived.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2007, 11:36:04 PM »

Quote from: "Raze"
It appears the glorious days of WAR/NIN + DW 1H Axes + Rampage spam have come to an end.

Ironically they'll be fine. They even adjusted raging rush to use the same crit mechanics as rampage.

Indeed, they did!  I've been dishing out some major damage w/ good ol' Byakko's Axe. :)

Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 12:22:18 PM »

Were any steps taken to make this game even remotely solo friendly past...like Level 10?

I wanted to like this game, so very badly I did :(. There were so many things done wrong with this game that other MMO's have done right. It was just sad :(.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 06:21:28 AM »

what are you talking about? why do people want to solo in mmo's?thats like masturbating at an orgy. its near impossible to have a system where both solo'ing and partying are equally effective without having adverse effects on the other. anyways i'm loving the new ffxi pokemanz. anyways my apkallu just got served by a wamoura of the flying death variety. if you dont know what that is its basically a moth form of a crawler.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 08:57:46 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
what are you talking about? why do people want to solo in mmo's?thats like masturbating at an orgy. its near impossible to have a system where both solo'ing and partying are equally effective without having adverse effects on the other. anyways i'm loving the new ffxi pokemanz. anyways my apkallu just got served by a wamoura of the flying death variety. if you dont know what that is its basically a moth form of a crawler.

Sometimes you can't find someone to do stuff with and/or just feel like doing something by yourself. People pay the same amount whether they want to solo or group, why should it matter to you what they want to do?

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 09:52:28 AM »

why do people want to solo in mmo's?thats like masturbating at an orgy.

I couldn't agree more, actually.  MMOs are about interacting/cooperating with other players.  If you want to 'solo,' then hell, go play Dragon Warrior and fight slimes for hours and hours ad nauseum, because that's what "soloing" in an MMORPG boils down to - a boring, inefficient, repetitive grind.  See: Maple Story, Ragnarok Online, etc.

For the record, there are /plenty/ of activities that can be done while "looking for a group," such as chocobo raising, crafting, farming, gardening, participating in the new Pankration arena, and so forth.

Final Fantasy XI appeals to me because it /forces/ the aforementioned interaction/cooperation between players.  It's a game about patience and focusing on long-term goals rather than short-term instant gratification.

Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »

its near impossible to have a system where both solo'ing and partying are equally effective without having adverse effects on the other.

There is this one game that did ok with it I guess.

I couldn't agree more, actually. MMOs are about interacting/cooperating with other players. If you want to 'solo,' then hell, go play Dragon Warrior and fight slimes for hours and hours ad nauseum, because that's what "soloing" in an MMORPG boils down to - a boring, inefficient, repetitive grind. See: Maple Story, Ragnarok Online, etc.

Said game above provides a lot of solo options that do not entail grinding endlessly on mobs.

Final Fantasy XI appeals to me because it /forces/ the aforementioned interaction/cooperation between players. It's a game about patience and focusing on long-term goals rather than short-term instant gratification.

So does every other MMORPG out there at some point or another. By giving players solo options, I don't see how you are taking away from this.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 02:29:55 PM »

Quote from: "Daggerstrike"

Sometimes you can't find someone to do stuff with and/or just feel like doing something by yourself. People pay the same amount whether they want to solo or group, why should it matter to you what they want to do?

theres a bit you can do by yourself:
level up your npc
learn some bluemagic spells for bluemage
catch some pokemanz
craft
ive taken to playing other games while i lfg personally.
also i don't care what others want to do. except in this case if SE let every job solo it would most likely have a negative impact on those that want to party.

also while i dont know a whole lot about wow i don't think you can reach the max level solo easily. but if you are not one of those hardcore players i can see how you would get some enjoyment out of soloing in wow. the only way i could see soloing being added to ffxi without effecting the core gameplay is solo assaults heck ive used beseiged often for buffer.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 03:51:05 PM »

also while i dont know a whole lot about wow i don't think you can reach the max level solo easily.

No, it's pretty easy actually. :P

ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 08:48:01 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"

also while i dont know a whole lot about wow i don't think you can reach the max level solo easily.

No, it's pretty easy actually. :P

Yup, it really is. Does it mean you will also be one gimped little whore compared to anyone who ran an instance in their time playing the game? You betcha.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: