Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 07:59:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331660 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  tales of the abyss....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: tales of the abyss....  (Read 7726 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2007, 03:51:54 AM »

just finished the game and am starting my second playthrough. not since XS3 has a protagonist managed to piss me off so much.

Code:
wah im a worthless clone so im gonna throw my life away

also one of the worst endings i've ever seen.
Code:
i rolled my eyes when tear tells luke she loves him

skits annoyed the hell out of me so i eventually turned them off.....it boggles my mind why you cant press X to advance them. i cant put my finger on why but they never annoyed me half as much in tales of symphonia. i had some other minor gameplay related annoyances as well(such as how long it takes to rotate yourself on the world map)but those come from constantly holding the game up against ToS. despite all that the game's combat is fun and rewarding plus theres a bit of second playthrough goodies.
Code:
like Ion attacking to extend Luke's Radiant howl
some of my greivances could also be the result of the game being on ps2 wich is technically inferior to gamecube.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:02:06 AM »

Actually, it's more because they didn't iron out all the kinks before rolling it out the door. The game has a large amount of bugs and glitches because it wasn't debugged fully. Tales of Symphonia on the PS2 had near unnoticable quality disparity from the GCN.

I liked Tales of the Abyss, Luke annoyed me, and Jade was awesome. I liked Guy, though he's way too big of a sissy for his own good. No man in their right mind would be that afraid of any female for any reason.

Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:37:11 AM »

It was a decent game. It was probably the characters and combat that saved it from complete mediocrity though. The story is extremely drawn out and repetitive. They didn't really succeed at making a compelling idea into a compelling story.

I didn't mind Luke, it was nice to see a main character who wasn't perfect and had self doubts. Honestly I think people overplay his angst about who he is stuff. Jade was cool, Guy too. Tear was alright. The only character I abhorred was Natalia. She was almost entirely useless(outside combat).
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 01:25:47 PM »

I've been playing it most of the day yesterday. I switch around that and Persona 3 since I am a gamer who can get bored of a game if I play it constantly, even if I love it.

I find the begining to be pretty dry, but slowly getting more hooked on it. I did want to smack Luke though I got to...

Code:
The Springs. Shortly after Luke said he wanted to change and cut his hair. He seems more likable, but we'll see.

I also think Jade is awesome and I like the other characters. Of course, the battle system is great too and I honestly like the skits. Being a fan of heavy character interaction or character-driven stories, I like seeing the skits. Personally, I do think more RPGs should have that, but optional of course and yeah, press a button to advance since I read pretty fast.

As for bugs, I didn't notice much aside from framerate issues in the world map and how the music is being played when you stepped outside of an area in the desert.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 01:46:56 PM »

Skits would be more enjoyable if there was voice acting, like in the Japanese version. It's awful quiet when you read 350 skits.

I liked the battle system a lot, though Free Run makes the game a lot easier than Tales of Symphonia, since you can easily dodge any spell, but I guess giving bosses way more HP made up for it.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 01:53:14 PM »

Guy afraid of women = hilarious. They could pull that joke as many times as they wanted, and I've laughed every time so far (10 hours in).

A lot, if not all, of the cutscenes have particularly hilarious dialogue. The skits would've been better if they'd been voiced-over, as hearing them on YouTube in Japanese with subtitles, they're more hilarious just given the vocal intonations of their voices. Some of the jokes just involve the avatars of the characters moving (or drifting) about.

Jade's just bad-ass. Simple as that. The crack about him that he "may or may not have a conscious" was hilarious.

Tear is attractive, of course, and even Natalia, when she's in her princess get-up, and even her whole haughty act is kind of endearing.

Dist the Rose is also hilarious, seeing as how he's so creepy, but no one takes him seriously.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 01:55:46 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"

Dist the Rose is also hilarious, seeing as how he's so creepy, but no one takes him seriously.

Nay, that's Dist the Runny good sir!

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 02:48:04 PM »

Responding to the first spoiler note mostly, mine has some majorish spoiler stuff pretty much until the end of the game, including the ending:

Code:
Luke's definitely a YMMV character, and personally I liked him from beginning to end.  His first persona is hard for people to appreciate simply because he's definitely not a typical hero, especially by Tales standards, where every hero in the "main" series released in the U.S. (at least with the exception of Symphonia, which I haven't played and probably won't since I have neither a GC nor a Wii nor have much interest in a Wii at the moment) has been pretty much a spunky go getter.  Offhand I can't recall a similar "hero" such as Luke v.1 in any JRPG - as close as they get is Yuri From SH/SH:C, and that's really not very close.

Luke v.2 is very interesting as well, though a bit too close to the typical Tales heroes for my taste in terms of personality.  His seemingly nihilistic attitude towards life that becomes pretty much the main point of the second half of the game, on the other hand, I found very touching.  It isn't being so much an angst-filled hero so much as it's his own logical conclusion - as he says at one point of the game, it's not that he wants to die but that if through his death he can save a great many people (including the "real" Luke), that was a sacrifice he was willing to make.  This nearly absolute willingness for self-sacrifice is a subject often glanced over (if even discussed) in many RPGs, so I found it wonderfully refreshing.

Having said that, the epilogue per se of the ending was a complete and utter disappointment and a complete reversal of everything up until that point.  When finality is so stressed throughout the second half of the game, it's somewhat silly that Luke comes back like nothing ever happened.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
forumdrifter
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 09:52:37 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
Actually, it's more because they didn't iron out all the kinks before rolling it out the door. The game has a large amount of bugs and glitches because it wasn't debugged fully. Tales of Symphonia on the PS2 had near unnoticable quality disparity from the GCN.

I liked Tales of the Abyss, Luke annoyed me, and Jade was awesome. I liked Guy, though he's way too big of a sissy for his own good. No man in their right mind would be that afraid of any female for any reason.

luke is a dumbass, jade is excellently awesomeness especially considering he has a pac-man belt buckle, and guy is an involuntary manwhore meaning he is a wuss pardon my french

cheesecake rox my sox =DDDDDD
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 10:38:23 PM »

You need to be more foul mouthed around here anyway. SHIT SHIT FUCK CUNTRAG COCKBLASTER.

I'm going to have to look around and see if I can get the game for cheap. There were just too much when it came out, and I still haven't gone through most of the games from that point and onwards.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 10:56:06 PM »

If $40 new is too much, the cheapest I saw it used at my local Gamestop was $35....

Though, you probably will get 40+ hours out of it. I'm a "slower" RPGer and it took me 47 hours, no sidequests.
forumdrifter
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
You need to be more foul mouthed around here anyway. SHIT SHIT FUCK CUNTRAG COCKBLASTER.

I'm going to have to look around and see if I can get the game for cheap. There were just too much when it came out, and I still haven't gone through most of the games from that point and onwards.

anyway?...

cheesecake rox my sox =DDDDDD
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 12:38:59 AM »

Well, THAT didn't last long.

I kinda figured it'd be a good value in the raw number of hours, but I waited this long so I'm being kinda picky about the price, and it's not something I want enough to rush and get ASAP, not unless it was going to be falt out unavailable.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 12:58:24 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Well, THAT didn't last long.

I'll say. Why are we getting forum trolls in here just now? Summer's dead and gone. Get back to school/work, people!

Eusis, I'd pick up Tales of the Abyss NOW, were I you. I'm not seeing it on the shelves anymore of any of my locale stores, be they EB Games, Gamestop, Best Buy, Target, WalMart, etc. Tales of Legendia, I definitely had to hunt for, especially for a brand-new, shiny, factory-sealed copy. Got it a GameRush/Blockbuster, of all places, and only for $10 less original MSRP.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 01:02:46 AM »

Yeah, I noticed it went to $30 then promptly vanished from AMazon. Probably should've just got it right away, but I'm going to either see if they restock or get it at Fry's. I don't really like the idea of getting yet another RPG when I have so many to go through though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: