Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 08:10:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331770 Posts in 13582 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  tales of the abyss....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: tales of the abyss....  (Read 7728 times)
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 10:32:48 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Yeah, I noticed it went to $30 then promptly vanished from AMazon. Probably should've just got it right away, but I'm going to either see if they restock or get it at Fry's. I don't really like the idea of getting yet another RPG when I have so many to go through though.

Gamestop just dropped the price as well and they also pennied out the strategy guide for it.  If you're unfamiliar with the term, it means they will no longer be selling/carrying it.  But if your Gamestop is cool they might let you buy it for a penny.  Just a heads up.

Edit:  Since I'm just full of useless info, they also pennied out .Hack GU 1 guide, Valkyrie Profile Silmeria, Okami, PSU and a ton of sports titles.  Also the Penny Arcade book, volume 3.

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 02:33:54 PM »

I'm going to either see if they restock or get it at Fry's.

Ahh, I keep hearing about the miracles of Fry's; too bad they're not in my state.

I don't really like the idea of getting yet another RPG when I have so many to go through though.

I read you; I keep telling myself that I ought to finish what I already have, but stuff just keeps coming out.

It's just that, some games, aren't expected to drop in price, and they usually follow those expectations, and they usually become rare quite quickly, too. The only stuff that ever really drops off in price and still stays in stock is popular, more mainstream stuff, and Square-Enix.

So~ looking forward to pick up FFXII for $20 brand new; hopefully I can snatch that up before they stick that godawful "Greatest Shits" label on it. (See what I did there? Uh huh).
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 01:41:55 AM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
Responding to the first spoiler note mostly, mine has some majorish spoiler stuff pretty much until the end of the game, including the ending:

Code:
Luke's definitely a YMMV character, and personally I liked him from beginning to end.  His first persona is hard for people to appreciate simply because he's definitely not a typical hero, especially by Tales standards, where every hero in the "main" series released in the U.S. (at least with the exception of Symphonia, which I haven't played and probably won't since I have neither a GC nor a Wii nor have much interest in a Wii at the moment) has been pretty much a spunky go getter.  Offhand I can't recall a similar "hero" such as Luke v.1 in any JRPG - as close as they get is Yuri From SH/SH:C, and that's really not very close.

Luke v.2 is very interesting as well, though a bit too close to the typical Tales heroes for my taste in terms of personality.  His seemingly nihilistic attitude towards life that becomes pretty much the main point of the second half of the game, on the other hand, I found very touching.  It isn't being so much an angst-filled hero so much as it's his own logical conclusion - as he says at one point of the game, it's not that he wants to die but that if through his death he can save a great many people (including the "real" Luke), that was a sacrifice he was willing to make.  This nearly absolute willingness for self-sacrifice is a subject often glanced over (if even discussed) in many RPGs, so I found it wonderfully refreshing.

Having said that, the epilogue per se of the ending was a complete and utter disappointment and a complete reversal of everything up until that point.  When finality is so stressed throughout the second half of the game, it's somewhat silly that Luke comes back like nothing ever happened.

the reason i hated luke is is because
Code:
his assertion that because he is a clone that somehow his life is less meaningful

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 04:25:22 AM »

Yeah, it's back in stock at Amazon, which means Namco has a lot of the games stockpiled or they're still printing up new copies.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 07:58:04 AM »

Luke is probably one of my favorite RPG characters, because he's so distinctly different from the stock archytipical hero. AND because he changes so drastically throughout the game, due to the event in the game and his connections to other characters. I went back and started replaying it, I was so amazed at his transformation, even his voice actor took a distinctly different approach to portraying him, but the transition was so incredibly smooth, I never noticed it. That's one thing that botters me about so-called "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT" in RPGs, it tends to happen all at once, at one time, and one character goes from being one architype to another, but in TotA Luke's change is much more gradual. Sure, there are a few points (one in particular) that the change is pretty drastic, but it's far from the end of his transformation, and even it takes some time to settle in. Also, the part about killing humans was especially good. "FINALLY" I kept thinking, it's about time an RPG delt with mental stress of having to kill other human beings.

I don't mind annoying characters if they make sense, and if they're well written, and I think Luke's was. He wasn't annoying for the sake of being a foil, it was that he was genuinely clueless, and through that, you get to see him change. I think about Titus in FFX, who I pretty much hate... I guess because his obnoxiousness was used more for comic relief, and it really never resolved.

My only real problems with the game are in the graphical department. Let's face it, TotA is an UGLY ASS GAME. For a late gen PS2 game made by a fairly prominant developer, who's previous outtings were much more polished, TotA was a disgrace. The rendering of the characters was fair at best (Tear's was downright horrid), and the environments were just bad. But none of that compares to the downright horrific graphic design of the whole menu system, extra-gameplay elements. Whoever designed the look & feel for the extra-gameplay elements should be blacklisted from ever working on a video game ever again.

Also, regarding the ending:
Code:
I hated the epilogue. But, the actual ending itself I really liked. ESPECIALLY the "I love you" bit. I'm so sick and tired of unrequited love, simply because the game manufacter's don't have the balls to come out and admit it (I'm looking at you, Grandia II). I screamed for joy when Tear finally comes out and says it, because I was just glad that they had the balls to follow through with what they started. The timing was perfect, and it's dramatic quality was spot on. I'd have been really pissed at they NOT done it.

However, the epilogue was terrible, and boring. Luke must live: that's pretty much a given, especially considering Ash's sacrifice. The fact is, Ash had nothing to live for; no one really cared about him—even Natalia really only cared about him because of his previous self—which he'd abandoned long ago. Luke's journey is all about why he should keep on living. Guy pretty much sums it up after Axereuth when he says, "You need to keep on living to atone for what you've done." But the whole 6 month disappearence (or was it a year), was rediculous. There's no explanation other than purely "dramatic effect". I'd have been much much more interested if they had brought Luke back shortly after the ending, and then done a "6 months later" for all of them. I was especially interested in seeing how Anise would handle the church reconstruction, or possibly Natalia's eventual rise to the throne. "Luke Lives," big deal... we know that, it's what most of the game is about... just say it and let's get on with hearing some of the more personal things that would take place after the game.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 08:15:03 AM »

Yeah, it's back in stock at Amazon, which means Namco has a lot of the games stockpiled or they're still printing up new copies.
I've heard TotA sold fewer units than ToL in the US (to the tune of around 50k units), but take that with a grain of salt.  That's kind of unfortunate if it's true since it was my favorite I've played of the series so far.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 06:43:21 PM »

I quite enjoy TotA.  I only stopped playing it cause Valkyrie Profile 2 ended up in my possession.  Now that I've finished VP, I think it's time I get back to dividing my time between TotA and Twilight Princess.

I got it used for 30 bucks.  Unfortunately no English manual, but I got the French one, which is fine with me.  I played it for, like, ten hours on the first day I had it.

Anyway, I also have ToL which I haven't touched yet.  Now the graphics in that game are really bad.  :P

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 04:24:08 AM »

Quote from: Ryos
I've heard TotA sold fewer units than ToL in the US (to the tune of around 50k units), but take that with a grain of salt.  That's kind of unfortunate if it's true since it was my favorite I've played of the series so far.

Remember, TotA was released within a week or so of FFXII. It basically suffered the same fate as Shadow Hearts did to FFX. No RPG can expect to get good sales results standing up to an FF title. I happen to think that TotA turned out to be the better game, but even I went for the FF title first.

Also, many times the sales of one game are directly related to the reception of the last game in the series. ToL was met with a lot of luke-warm reviews, which probably killed a lot of sales for TotA. I expect the next outing to do much better.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 04:26:16 AM »

Uh, wow, it already sold out AGAIN at Amazon. Maybe I should just go fuck it and order it when it's back in stock. I really don't see them cutting the game off when it keeps going out of stock like this.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 07:56:45 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
I quite enjoy TotA.  I only stopped playing it cause Valkyrie Profile 2 ended up in my possession.  Now that I've finished VP, I think it's time I get back to dividing my time between TotA and Twilight Princess.

I lied, I played Symphonia last night.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 10:34:55 PM »

Eusis, Frys.com has it for $30 in stock. You might want to grab it there. I'm thinking of doing the same.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 10:41:11 PM »

Probably means it's $30 in the store then. I'll just head there and get it sometime in that case, save on the shipping. Unless, of course, th is has a free shipping deal. Anyways, thanks for notifying me.

Edit: I make so many stupid mistakes.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 01:09:32 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Luke is probably one of my favorite RPG characters, because he's so distinctly different from the stock archytipical hero. AND because he changes so drastically throughout the game, due to the event in the game and his connections to other characters. I went back and started replaying it, I was so amazed at his transformation, even his voice actor took a distinctly different approach to portraying him, but the transition was so incredibly smooth, I never noticed it. That's one thing that botters me about so-called "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT" in RPGs, it tends to happen all at once, at one time, and one character goes from being one architype to another, but in TotA Luke's change is much more gradual. Sure, there are a few points (one in particular) that the change is pretty drastic, but it's far from the end of his transformation, and even it takes some time to settle in. Also, the part about killing humans was especially good. "FINALLY" I kept thinking, it's about time an RPG delt with mental stress of having to kill other human beings.

I don't mind annoying characters if they make sense, and if they're well written, and I think Luke's was. He wasn't annoying for the sake of being a foil, it was that he was genuinely clueless, and through that, you get to see him change. I think about Titus in FFX, who I pretty much hate... I guess because his obnoxiousness was used more for comic relief, and it really never resolved.

My only real problems with the game are in the graphical department. Let's face it, TotA is an UGLY ASS GAME. For a late gen PS2 game made by a fairly prominant developer, who's previous outtings were much more polished, TotA was a disgrace. The rendering of the characters was fair at best (Tear's was downright horrid), and the environments were just bad. But none of that compares to the downright horrific graphic design of the whole menu system, extra-gameplay elements. Whoever designed the look & feel for the extra-gameplay elements should be blacklisted from ever working on a video game ever again.

Also, regarding the ending:
Code:
I hated the epilogue. But, the actual ending itself I really liked. ESPECIALLY the "I love you" bit. I'm so sick and tired of unrequited love, simply because the game manufacter's don't have the balls to come out and admit it (I'm looking at you, Grandia II). I screamed for joy when Tear finally comes out and says it, because I was just glad that they had the balls to follow through with what they started. The timing was perfect, and it's dramatic quality was spot on. I'd have been really pissed at they NOT done it.

However, the epilogue was terrible, and boring. Luke must live: that's pretty much a given, especially considering Ash's sacrifice. The fact is, Ash had nothing to live for; no one really cared about him—even Natalia really only cared about him because of his previous self—which he'd abandoned long ago. Luke's journey is all about why he should keep on living. Guy pretty much sums it up after Axereuth when he says, "You need to keep on living to atone for what you've done." But the whole 6 month disappearence (or was it a year), was rediculous. There's no explanation other than purely "dramatic effect". I'd have been much much more interested if they had brought Luke back shortly after the ending, and then done a "6 months later" for all of them. I was especially interested in seeing how Anise would handle the church reconstruction, or possibly Natalia's eventual rise to the throne. "Luke Lives," big deal... we know that, it's what most of the game is about... just say it and let's get on with hearing some of the more personal things that would take place after the game.

unrequited love? you have got to be shitting me? the fact of the matter is that that pair didnt make any sense at all much like Arnaud and Raquel in wild arms 4.
Code:
you know i saw a lot of myself in Tear in fact i think she provided valuable insight as to how others perceive me. wich makes her loving luke even harder for me to swallow.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 01:13:45 AM »

Alisha, was it REALLY NECESSARY to quote nearly SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY WORDS from the previous post?

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 07:43:29 PM »

ROFL  Shiggy.

<3s to Ryan.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: