Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 12:00:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334505 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Anyone interested in Bioshock?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Anyone interested in Bioshock?  (Read 16765 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 01:53:18 PM »

Fuck yes I'm interested. This, together with Mass Effect, were the main reasons I bought a Xbox360 to begin with. Though I'm ashamed to admit that I've never played System Shock 2, I have played Deus Ex (and consider it, perhaps, the second greatest PC game ever made) and Bioshock does seem to share a lot of similarities with that

Also, I love the setting with it's clearly stated Ayn Rand inspirations.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »

Bioshock definitely looks fantastic: mix of FPS, Horror, and RPG.  August is really an awesome month for games: you've got Blue Dragon (take Dragon Quest 8, add XBox 360 presentation values and an awesome job system), Persona 3 (SMT + Dating/Life Sim), and Bioshock (System Shock 2's spiritual sequel).

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 04:10:49 PM »

Am I looking forward to Bioshock?  Fuck, it's about the only thing I'm looking forward to these days.  I've been playing around with System Shock 2 lately just to get back in the groove for this sort of thing.  I'm not sure if I'll get it soon or not, but it will be gotten. :P

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 05:13:21 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
alisha says a lot of things and they don't frequently make much sense :<

Anyway, this is something that's a very, er, want-ish type thing for me, except my PC sucks for gaming, my laptop sucks even MORE for gaming, and my XBox 360 is... well, I don't have an XBox 360.

whats hard to make sense of? i like rpg's but not first person shooters.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 06:43:09 PM »

I don't like FPSes either, but my complaints about that genre- that is, the fact that the gameplay consists entirely of repeatedly shooting things- tend not to apply to games such as this.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Bioshock, but it's taking a back seat to Blue Dragon and Rune Factory (they're gonna release it this month, right? RIGHT?)
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 06:57:48 PM »

I'd just like to put something out there. This game isn't really an RPG. It's  been stated by the devs that it is, in fact, a shooter before anything else. So just be careful before you think you're getting into some deep RPG with a Shooter twist. It's more like a shooter with a slight RPG twist. No reason to be less excited, but I just wanted to make everyone aware. And this thread should probably be on the Misc. Games board.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 07:01:29 PM »

For someone like me, that IS reason to be less excited.

But if the RPG elements are at least as substantial as, say, Deus Ex's, I'll definitely check it out, though.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 09:34:54 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Anyway, this is something that's a very, er, want-ish type thing for me, except my PC sucks for gaming, my laptop sucks even MORE for gaming, and my XBox 360 is... well, I don't have an XBox 360.

Yeah, I don't really want own any more consoles but with Bioshock and Fallout 3 coming out on Xbox360, it's getting hard to say no.

Why can't this shit just come out for something I already own? Like the GBA.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 09:38:25 PM »

Man, that'd be interesting to see work out. How the hell could they do it? I suppose something along the lines of SS1 visually could work on the GBA though.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 10:42:33 PM »

Fuck that, SS1 needs a DS port, and fast.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 01:47:17 AM »

Quote from: "superflat"
And this thread should probably be on the Misc. Games board.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/systemshock2/System_Shock_2-2.html

Unless the game deviates VASTLY in terms of gameplay from System Shock, it counts as an RPG, and there's no reason to move the thread.

pwned.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 02:11:39 AM »

Actually, I've seen editors saying they didn't really feel it counted before. Plus there's the Ico review that seems to be more or less acknowledged as, yeah, wasn't really an RPG or similar.

Personally, I feel it's a game that's on the fence and would make perfect sense in either forum. Or, alternatively, PC RPGs.

Edit: It gets more attention here though, and it'd be nice to not have the game ignored. :P
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 09:58:28 AM »

But then that just gets into that hairy debate of "what is an RPG?"  I mean, the realm of role playing has a lot of grey areas.  Harvest Moon is considered an RPG, but it has no combat.  Gran Turismo isn't an RPG by a longshot, but you start out with a character (well a car), build it up through races, buy equipment, and all that other RPG stat-building stuff.  

Regardless of what BioShock is, it's still a title to get excited about IMO, since I really liked System Shock 2.  I like RPGs and spent countless hours playing FPS games like Doom, Heretic, Rise of the Triad, and Hexen when I was younger.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 12:32:22 PM »

I see it as a FPS/RPG hybrid. The devs have said it's primarily a shooter, but there are very obviously RPG elements involved.

I figured this was the best place.

[/url]
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 08:56:49 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"
I see it as a FPS/RPG hybrid. The devs have said it's primarily a shooter, but there are very obviously RPG elements involved.

I figured this was the best place.

You chose...wisely.  Fuck the naysayers. :P

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: