Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:00:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334685 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  top 3 best/worst Final Fantasy games (no spine-off)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: top 3 best/worst Final Fantasy games (no spine-off)  (Read 13017 times)
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2007, 06:15:43 AM »

1. IX / VI
I finally got tired of having to choose between them so I'm just going to let them share the throne. Play nice kids, okay?

Anyhoo, I don't really think I need to give either one any kind of introduction but what the hell. I have a special sort of relationship with IX, which was the first Final Fantasy that I really invested a part of myself in so too speak. VII and VIII had both been great(VIII really grew on me as I got older and finally figured out how the junction system worked, more on that later) but none of them had made me want to really do everything there was too do and have fun while doing it. I was a bit obsessed really. I remember when beat the game, I felt physically ill and had to lie down for a moment. I even decided against fighting Ozma just for the fact that I didn't want to stop playing. IX had everything that makes the series great, a good story, lovable characters and a great fighting system(even if it's a bit tried and proved). I don't really know what it was but it had a certain something that makes it, together with VI which also possesses this special something, my favorites in the series. I could go on and on, but I need to try to stay on task.

2. VII / VIII

Well, I don't really feel like adding something now, just to say that I didn't realize the greatness of VIII until I finally understood the junction system, which took me about seven years. Long story for a rainy day.

Least Favorites are as follows.

1. XII

I could write seven paragraphs outlining why I despise this game so, but I don't feel like getting into a floor fight so I'll just say; I didn't care for it, at all.

2. IV

Now this is a bit tricky, because I'm aware that IV is one of the best FF there is, but I just can't see it because it really hasn't aged well. If I had played it when it first came out it would probably be better to me but I just can't stand it for some reason. Yuck. So, I'm partly to blame as well.[/b]

I will find you. Without fail.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2007, 04:35:23 PM »

Final Fantasy IX - Horrible cast of characters, uninteresting story and it took its fanservice too far.

I actually thought that FF IX was the least fanservicy of the PS 1/2 FF games... Apart from the Alexandrian soldiers, weren't all the female characters fully-clothed? Unlike X, X-2 and XII - those games were much worse for fan service than IX ever was.

When I started playing FF XII, I'd just finished DDS 2 and I found the MegaTen level of fanservice nowhere near as bad as FF XII's. And it's quite difficult for an rpg to be worse than a MegaTen game for fanservice...

Also, the difference in quality of the VA between DDS 1 + 2 and FF XII surprised me. I'll admit that DDS's voice acting isn't that good, but it is rather better than FF XII's.

The only characters in FF XII I didn't think sounded annoying were Balthier, Fran, Basch, Vayne... and maybe, yes, even Ba'Gamn'nh. But in DDS, none of the characters sounded particularly annoying, even the annoying characters (Cielo could have been the most irritating character ever, if it wasn't for the fact his VA was actually good). Though just about everyone overacted in both DDS games. :P

Also, I oddly preferred the "unrealistic" cel-shaded graphics of DDS to the jagged, "realistic" graphics of FF XII. Plus, the music in DDS was much better - hell, I even thought the techno soundtrack of DDS 2 was better than FF XII's.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2007, 04:38:21 PM »

Okay, time to clear up a misconception. :)

Fanservice does not necessarily mean scantily clothed females, although that's the popular definition of the term. Fanservice is anything that serves the only purpose of appealing to fans of the franchise. In the case of Final Fantasy IX, this took the form of a multitude of references to the earlier installments in the series.

Though Quina certainly is easy on the eyes...
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2007, 05:05:26 PM »

FF IV may gain new fans with the upcoming DS version. For critics of the simplistic story or characters, I've read that they are retasking the story and characters as they didn't(or weren't able to) put as much into it as they wanted back then. Apparently they cut a great deal of substance out in those areas, and are going to be redoing it to fit in everything that they wanted. It's not going to just be a visual change.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2007, 05:43:12 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Okay, time to clear up a misconception. :)

Fanservice does not necessarily mean scantily clothed females, although that's the popular definition of the term. Fanservice is anything that serves the only purpose of appealing to fans of the franchise. In the case of Final Fantasy IX, this took the form of a multitude of references to the earlier installments in the series.

Though Quina certainly is easy on the eyes...

Okay, you fucking owned me.

I didn't know which kind of fanservice you meant. Though, if you think about it, FF IX itself is fanservice, as it was trying to be more like the older games. Even though it isn't quite as obviously fan service as, say, FF X-2 or Revenant Wings.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2007, 08:50:30 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
I didn't know which kind of fanservice you meant. Though, if you think about it, FF IX itself is fanservice, as it was trying to be more like the older games. Even though it isn't quite as obviously fan service as, say, FF X-2 or Revenant Wings.

Yes, that was kind of my point. Final Fantasy IX relied too heavily on fanservice, and some parts of the game itself were less than appealing. In general, building a game (or anything) purely around fanservice of any kind is a bad idea. Final Fantasy X-2, which you've already mentioned, makes a great case for this.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2007, 10:34:03 PM »

I disagree. Primarily because I really enjoyed FFIX (definitely one of my favourites from the series) and I found X-2 to be quite fun.

I think it's perfectly fine to make a game around fan service, just as long as it's actually a well made game.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2007, 11:09:19 PM »

What exactly made FFIX's fanservice any different than the other games in the series? I haven't really played many of the older Final Fantasy installments, hence my lack of participation within the thread, but I'd be interested to see what exactly "relying too heavily on fanservice" actually means. From my point of view, all I noticed were the recurring themes of the "Prelude" song, and certain creatures/monsters like chocobos, moogles, and cactuars, all of which are in, correct me if I'm wrong here, all of the Final Fantasy games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2007, 11:15:46 PM »

It'd be better for someone who played through IX fully and picked it apart, but obviously since you didn't play the old titles this fanservice would fly over your head. There's lots of little things, IE using the name Garland and Dwarves that chant "Rally-ho" (was Lali-ho in FFII SNES) that pop up.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2007, 11:38:09 PM »

So you'd feel comfortable saying that the fanservice presented in the game is moreso on the easter eggy side of things that hint at nostalgic moments of past games as opposed to stuff that influenced the characters and story?

I can understand where it becomes a problem when an entire game is built around fanservice (FFX-2), but if fanservice is nothing but miniscule little details that are meant to acknowledge past games, then why is it considered something criticizable? I guess I just need more examples. :P
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2007, 01:30:11 AM »

Actually, screw it. New opinion. The entire FF series is shit, and each game is shit in equal amounts in the same ways. The end.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2007, 02:31:30 AM »

Sketch: Don't believe the hype! They're jus' haters! HATERS!

Love your fanservice. Love it hard.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2007, 02:45:51 AM »

fanservice only works if you are the target of the fanservice otherwise it comes off annoying.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2007, 02:53:32 AM »

Or hey, it goes over your head, gets interpreted as "new information", and shit works anyway. It's not like they pulled a Super Robot Wars level of fanservice either -- you need to go into those games knowing shit about mecha. FFIX is hardly a prime example of fanservice. Most of it was gentle, if not outright easy to overlook  for new fans.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2007, 12:29:48 PM »

Isn't fanservice when the devs put in a bunch of big 'ol boobies and panty shots to get the male games aer jangly? Given that there were three womn characters in FFIX, one of which was hydrocephalic on a massive level, one of which was Gogo, and one of which was 8, I'm going on on a limb and saying that SOMEBODY here is a massive pervert of some sort.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: