Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:31:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332854 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Top 3 Favourite/Least Favourite Squaresoft RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Top 3 Favourite/Least Favourite Squaresoft RPGs  (Read 6251 times)
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 01:30:45 AM »

Going purely by Squaresoft games/series

Best
1. Final Fantasy VII- Cliche, I know, but it's the FF game that appealed to me most.
2. Chrono Cross- I loved this game. Yeah, most of the characters kinda sucked, but the story was quite cool, and I loved the setting, the battle system and the music.
3. Xenogears- Giant robots + the Bible = fun for everybody! Additionally the characters were likable and the music was top notch.

Worst
1. Legend of Mana- The game was boring, too fucking nonlinear, and the art was ugly as sin.
2. SaGa Frontier- The battle system was boring as shit, and I don't know if there was even a story or not.
3. Final Fantasy XII- The characters are ugly, the music is okay but for the most part mediocre, and the battle system is worse than getting kicked in the balls. No good. There's a chance that with the changes made in the international version I might like it, but I doubt they'll ever bring it over here, so I won't get a chance to play it.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 01:32:57 AM »

in no particular order

Crono Cross
Parasite Eve 1(never played the second one)
Seiken Densetsu 3
Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 with the original being the better game.(any game with a female lead that uses a sword has to try pretty hard to get on my bad side witch FF12 managed to do..)

Worst
DQVIII
chocobos dungeon lol!

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 01:35:44 AM »

I'm not going to include any of the core FF titles, since there's already a thread for that.

Best:
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy Tactics/Super Mario RPG
3. Xenogears/SaGa Frontier

Worst:
1. Vagrant Story
2. Vagrant Story
3. Ehrgeiz

[/url]
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 01:42:41 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 with the original being the better game.(any game with a female lead that uses a sword has to try pretty hard to get on my bad side witch FF12 managed to do..)

Square had nothing to do w/ Valkyrie Profile 1; it was developed by tri-Ace and published by Enix.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 01:47:20 AM »

The thread seems kinda vague on that. The title's flat out Squaresoft, not Square Enix or simply Square, and most of the games in the original post were Square releases. Drakengard's the exception, and even then it's a simple enough mistake since it came off as more Square-like. Personally, I'd just go with the fact most people are listing purely Square games (or they only really like/hate Square titles to begin with).

In fact, looking back I guess putting in Breath of Fire would've been valid in mine. But I didn't really consider it enough of an Square title, and it wasn't like Square kept a grip on the series since like, say, Xseed seems to have with Wild Arms.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 02:07:23 AM »

i find it sort of hard to distinguish between 'square' and 'enix' as far as new games go. there just feels like some much concept crossover.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 02:15:06 AM »

Stuff like Final Fantasy and DQ is obvious. SE hasn't been making a lot of new games or series, just sequels, spin offs, and ports/remakes for the most part, at least released in the US. One of the games that could go both ways, Radiata Stories, came from tri-Ace and leaned more Enix anyway.

... Why list Ehgeriz by the way? That's not even an RPG unless you're counting that adventure mode thing.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 02:18:33 AM »

wasn't square behind The Adventures of Tom Finn? that game baed on the old Sam Clements novel (what was that guy's pen name?) It was barred from a US release for being racist or something. The game, I mean. That might've been an action/adventure thing actually, but I think it was an RPG. NES, btw.

--edit--

Whoops. That was apparently SETA (whoever the fuck that is)

---edit3---

Oh, wait. SQUARE NO Tom Sawyer. Yeah. That's what I'm thinking of. Worst game ever. AKA satan's daydreams taste like how this looks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Squares_tom_sawyer_package.png

Seriously.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 03:58:40 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Why list Ehgeriz by the way? That's not even an RPG unless you're counting that adventure mode thing.

Silence, you.  My favorite Square RPG is RAD RACER.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 04:43:57 AM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
Why list Ehgeriz by the way? That's not even an RPG unless you're counting that adventure mode thing.

Silence, you.  My favorite Square RPG is RAD RACER.

DRIVING EMOTION TYPE-S TROUNCES YOUR SHITTY RAD RACER.

I'm admittedly a sucker for the style of anime from the 80's, but I don't think that Tom Sawyer cover's bad. Until you get to blackface anyway.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 05:48:11 AM »

Favorite:

1. Secret of Mana. I don't think it's the best game out there, I just have some very fond memories of it. Without this game, I wouldn't have become the 'RPG Queen' :)

2. Saga Frontier 2. I have a soft spot for the SaGa games, but this is my favorite. It didn't have the steep learning curve most SaGa games have, or atleast it wasn't as steep as usual. And it looks and sounds great. Story was a bit weird at times (one egg to rule them all?), but I liked it.

3. Xenogears. Others already mentioned the reasons why.

Least favorite:
1. Unlimited SaGa. Yeah, I like SaGa games, but this one is a disgrace to the series. I think I have a high tolerance towards bad games, I played Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and enjoyed it. I played through two of the three Final Fantasy Legend games without wanting to throw my Gameboy through a window and I thought Final Fantasy II was a enjoyable game. But I can't stand Unlimited SaGa.

2. Parasite Eve 2. Crappy sequel, watered down Resident Evil, awful controlls.

3. Sword of Mana. The original game was fun, this one isn't.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 06:19:40 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
wasn't square behind The Adventures of Tom Finn? that game baed on the old Sam Clements novel (what was that guy's pen name?) It was barred from a US release for being racist or something. The game, I mean. That might've been an action/adventure thing actually, but I think it was an RPG. NES, btw.

--edit--

Whoops. That was apparently SETA (whoever the fuck that is)

---edit3---

Oh, wait. SQUARE NO Tom Sawyer. Yeah. That's what I'm thinking of. Worst game ever. AKA satan's daydreams taste like how this looks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Squares_tom_sawyer_package.png

Seriously.

Yeah Square did a Tom Sawyer RPG. Huck Finn was an action game from SETA.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 12:05:06 PM »

The thread seems kinda vague on that. The title's flat out Squaresoft, not Square Enix or simply Square, and most of the games in the original post were Square releases.

Which was my deliberate point.

I mostly enjoyed stuff from the Squaresoft PS1 era before they merged with Enix.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 08:02:37 PM »

I've been trying to find an opportunity to bad mouth Chrono Cross here... but I'm not really feeling it at the moment. Just be prepared, though, it will come, when I can think of something ;)

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 11:39:42 AM »

Actually, you know, if the list can include post-merger Squeenix games, Iii think I'll change it to Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean 3, and... replace FFVIII with front mission 3, actually, just cause, really, I like that waaaay less than FFVIII.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: