Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 08:14:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335248 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon  (Read 3053 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2007, 08:40:06 PM »

It ships tomorrow.

I, for one, am stoked. Harvest Moon + Neverland dungeon crawler = win.
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:02:37 AM »

Same here. Rune Factory will be ruling my lunching hour.

I have an intense love for Harvest Moon games. Well, except Save the Homeland and Innocent Life. Those are pretty meh.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:06:12 AM »

Nice way to make it sound unappealing to me! Still though, I hear this has some Lufia-ish elements to it, so if true that interests me. I want to see some reviews th ough, GameBrink was positive but they can be overly kind to say the least, so I want to see what other sources are going to say.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:38:21 AM »

It's a cool concept, but like Eusis, I'm going to wait for some reviews before I make the purchase. I love Harvest Moon and all, but when the gameplay is broken, the games really aren't that fun (some examples have already been listed). I really hope they didn't just focus most of their attention on creating the battle system and leave the farming aspect to rot, or vice-versa.

We'll see.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:58:07 AM »

It's an interesting mix, and certainly isn't Shining Force all over again (mostly because they're still producing standard Harvest Moons en masse), but just because one importer loves it doesn't mean everyone else will. I think I'll look on GameRankings actually.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:23:08 PM »

I love Harvest Moon, but I thought this was a dumb idea from the moment I heard of it.  You just know that either the dungeon aspect or the simulation aspect is gonna feel like it's been tacked on; the odds of it being a cohesive whole is so slim that it might as well be nonexistent.

Maybe I'll be wrong.  Azure Dreams combined dungeon crawling with some light simulation, and it worked out okay.  Of course, you didn't tend flocks of sheep in that game either. :P

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:44:11 PM »

I don't really trust HM reviews for various reasons.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 09:14:32 PM »

IGN's review.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 09:48:32 PM »

I've got it a few days ago, and I enjoy it quite a lot. It's much more refreshing than Harvest Moon DS (as much as I like the old-school style). The farming and dungeon crawling aspects do blend well and it is pretty addicting. There are many crafts to take up and level, and for perfectionists, it will certainly keep you busy.

If there is one con I find, it's that I find befriending the townsfolk is a bit too easy, and didn't feel accomplished. It's pretty nice that it isn't super tedious, but there isn't much different and benefit for maxing their friendship, aside from some quest-related stuff.

It is nice that there is a little bit of an actual plot being attempting. Granted, the plot is pretty week, but it is a step up from "You inherited the farm, now get to work!". :P

Overall, it is a nice start for this spinoff title.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 12:37:32 AM »

I really have to say that I like them going in a new direction with HM. I haven't played this yet, but I think that nobody can really argue that H PSX, HM N64, and friends of mineral town were... almost identical.

Also, I like that they're keeping the more whimsical style from... A Wonderful Life (?). The N64-style of visuals and setting was getting sort of garrish.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 11:38:33 AM »

I've always been a big harvest moon fan and Rune Factory at least seems like they are trying to do something different rather than release the same game just with a girl instead of the boy like they have done in the past.  I think I'm going to wait on this and see what others think about it.  You know what I'm really excited for?  When Harvest Moon comes to the Wii!  The release date is set for the beginning of Nov. definitely going to get that one, has anyone heard anything about it?  I wonder if they'll try to release Rune Factory on any other console if it's successful.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 05:25:58 PM »

rather than release the same game just with a girl instead of the boy like they have done in the past.

Yes, that was silly. Especially for the Friends of Mineral Town one given that that already was basically a remake of the PSX one which was a remake of the N64 one.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 10:00:36 PM »

I forgot to buy a cookie to give to someone at the spring festival. :(

I'm having a blast with this game. I totally concur with all that has been posted previously.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 01:13:56 AM »

So anyone else have any comments on this?  I am seriously thinking about trying it out, as it seems like a genuinely good sounding spin off of harvest moon.  However, as RPGFan tends to rate games very close to how I would, Id like to see some more of you folks opinions.  

Thanks!

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: