Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 12:59:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341062 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Great Revolution Article on Gamespot
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Great Revolution Article on Gamespot  (Read 3418 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:13:04 PM »

Gamespot just posted a story giving the full rundown of everything we know about the Revolution thusfar. It goes over pricing and expandability (Two SD Card slots and two USB slots?!) and backwards compatability issues (controllers, memory cards, etc)

Check it out...good read. It makes me want to buy a Revo much more now.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6146540/index.html

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 01:31:25 PM »

Damn, this year's E3 is going to be great.  I cannot wait until more details about the Revolution come out, especially info about the games.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 03:05:05 PM »

Man, I'm liking the sounds of the launch price.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 05:52:19 PM »

I already want this console badly and reading this fuels my temptation even more and it won't be out until many months later. I don't think im going to make it at this rate..

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Vagrant
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 07:09:57 PM »

The only Revolutionary thing about the Rev is the controller.
And we haven't even seen a single screenshot or read any real hands-on impressions with the hardware. Because, well...nobody has final devkits yet. Which is alarming, because the launch will probably only see 1 or 2 titles which will make very good use of the new controls (both made by Nintendo themselves ofcourse) and the 3rd party stuff will be gimmicky and useless like most first gen DS software. Not to mention many games looking like games from this generation, because of the Rev's low power compared to the other systems. I've read that Xbox's graphics would be a good target for how Rev games will look....Xbox 1 that is...

I'll buy a Rev when it comes out, but only as a second system next to the PS3. Because even though the controls will be revolutionary, in terms of hardware, it's not much better than this generation.

The PS3 with all it's new technology will be the only new system that will feel truly next-gen. The Cell processor and blue-ray will make all the difference.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 09:24:06 PM »

Thank you, for that incredible refresher in just how much of a god damned stupid Sony fanboy you are.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 10:43:58 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Thank you, for that incredible refresher in just how much of a god damned stupid Sony fanboy you are.

Agreed.

YAY FOR "OMG PS# IS TEH WEINNER!!!! NINTENDORK REVILUSHON SUX CUZ NO 1 HAS DEVKITS BUTT HOW DO I KNOW TAHT!?"

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 10:54:20 PM »

We all know what fanboys like Vagrant are REALLY afraid of:

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 11:03:13 PM »

The devkits for the Revolution sound finalized enough to develop games just fine, and I'm sure developers familiar with the XBox and the GC will have a good enough time gauging just how to utilize the system's power. Even if they don't pull it off, no biggie. There's rarely great titles out at launch that'd be remembered past the launch anyways, save for a title or two.

Also, personally while the X360 games look a fuckload better than the XBox games, it doesn't really feel like it's much different. I imagine that while there'll be a more dramatic difference between the PS2 and PS3, that same feeling will ultimately resurface - the controller is how you interact with the game world, and that will indeed be where the 'revolution' will be, supposing they succeed.

Of course, we wouldn't be having this conversation if you weren't hellbent on dragging how much better you think Sony is into every damn conversation involving this and related topics.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 11:44:03 AM »

Eusis said it.

Everything I've seen so far on the Xbox 360 looks like the same old game, but with better graphics. It can still have good games (man do I want Oblivion), but I was sick of war FPS's at least five years ago, simply putting better graphics on them isn't going to make me want to play them.

The PS3 will no doubt have fantastic graphics and everything, but the games are still going to be pretty much the same, bar those made by creative developers (Katamari Damacy and Shadow of the Colossus spring to mind). Some will still be good, but once the 'lol prety' wears off it'll just be same old same old. I'm already finding myself not very motivated to play games that much these days, and neither Sony or Microsoft are doing anything to change that.

Nintendo however, are. The Revolution so far is sounding great, because it's doing something new. At least half the games are going to feel fresh just because we'll interact with them differently. No doubt some will be gimmicky crap, but every system has it's shit games. I don't care if the graphics are only going to be Xbox 1 quality (although I don't know where you heard that). Last I checked, the Xbox had some pretty damn good graphics.

Katamari Damacy springs to mind again. The graphics were fairly low quality, but the game was innovative and fun, so it didn't matter.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 11:54:23 AM »

I'm far from a graphics fanboy, but graphics can matter to a certain extent. Take a game like Oblivion, for example - even if the core gameplay is enough to make the game very good, a lot of the immersion factor would be lost if the game didn't have so realistic and awe-inspiring graphics. Beefed up hardware also allows the developers to make games that are bigger, have less loading times and so on. So yes, even if it's just "more of the same" it does help the overall experience of a game. More powerful hardware will also enable devlopers to try out ideas that just weren't possible on earlier systems, because they required too much processing power. Compare GRAW on the Xbox360 with GRAW on the Xbox, for an example.

With that said, I'm extremely excited about the Revolution. I'm a little worried about how well the controller will work for extended play sessions (I can see players getting tired in the arms after waving that around for too long), but possibilites for new and innovative game concepts are staggering.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 11:56:26 AM »

Quote from: "Vagrant"
The only Revolutionary thing about the Rev is the controller.
And we haven't even seen a single screenshot or read any real hands-on impressions with the hardware. Because, well...nobody has final devkits yet. Which is alarming, because the launch will probably only see 1 or 2 titles which will make very good use of the new controls (both made by Nintendo themselves ofcourse) and the 3rd party stuff will be gimmicky and useless like most first gen DS software. Not to mention many games looking like games from this generation, because of the Rev's low power compared to the other systems. I've read that Xbox's graphics would be a good target for how Rev games will look....Xbox 1 that is...

I'll buy a Rev when it comes out, but only as a second system next to the PS3. Because even though the controls will be revolutionary, in terms of hardware, it's not much better than this generation.

The PS3 with all it's new technology will be the only new system that will feel truly next-gen. The Cell processor and blue-ray will make all the difference.

I am just gonna say fuck you and leave it at that. Douche bag

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 04:28:07 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
I'm far from a graphics fanboy, but graphics can matter to a certain extent. Take a game like Oblivion, for example - even if the core gameplay is enough to make the game very good, a lot of the immersion factor would be lost if the game didn't have so realistic and awe-inspiring graphics

I can't discount them entirely, I'm aware of that; some games just wouldn't be the same or even possible with weaker hardware. But to say that better graphics outweigh a weaker system with a totally new method of controlling games, even though said weaker system should still pack one helluva punch? It's also worth noting that the GC's apparantly technically the weakest system of the 3 of the current/last generation... Yet it produced RE4, and that couldn't even be ported without some compromises to the PS2.

Of course, Vagrant went and made a joke out of himself, so maybe this should just be dropped since he's said he won't be posting again. :P
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: