Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 07:11:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337983 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Should I begin my Suikoden II hunt?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Should I begin my Suikoden II hunt?  (Read 5777 times)
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:58:52 PM »

The story basically boils down to a simple number of events.

I've been putting quite a bit of time into Suikoden III recently and as expected I have grown to love the game, despite it's flaws. But being the information whore I am I had already sadly spoiled certain aspects of the game thinking that I never would have the opportunity to play it, long story for a rainy or preferably partly cloudy evening. So I think to myself, Hey, I've never really seen any in game footage of Suikoden II besides some simple artwork and screenshots. I indulge my curiosity which once again threw me in a half-nelson(how deadly is that?) and made me kiss it's feet, I obliged all the while trying to conceal a gentle and almost inaudible weep. Lo and behold, the snare of Suikoden II's warm sprites clutched my neck firmly. Now I'm in a relative bind.

So, I'll just ask those of you has have the privilege to play the first two games, should I put of Suikoden III for the time being and try to secure a copy of the second, and possibly first, installments in the series? Is it worth it? I will be getting a copy sooner or later now that I have determination, but is it worth putting of the third during the wait?

I will find you. Without fail.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »

IMO....if you can find the first and second one (more importantly second) for a price that you can afford.....DO IT.

Suikoden II is my favorite video game (not just rpg) of all time. Tops every single list I can come up with.

As for Suikoden III....finish it up...it's pretty fuckin good as well. Who cares if you spoiled some stuff for yourself? It's part of a great journey...and when you play II, you'll have some respect for III afterwards.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:46:43 PM »

If you really want to play it, go for it. And finish Suikoden III, it's not as if finishing that game is going to ruin your Suikoden II experience.

BTW D. Gray-man fan?
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:58:25 PM »

If you can get a decent price I'd go for it, but last I heard Suikoden I/II typically command an extremely high cost.  II's the one to focus on more though, the first hasn't aged as well.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 02:34:25 PM »

Holy fuck, go get Suikoden 2 right the fuck now. I can agree with Dade that Suikoden 2 slays. It is the best RPG I have ever played. Its is the best fuckin video game I have ever played. I have finished the game some ten or so times, and every time I get fully sucked into the story.

Suikoden 1 is awesome too. it provides killer exposition to the story of the second game. It isnt a must at all, but man, if you do them back to back, by the end of the second game your jaw will be on the floor.

Also, Suikoden 1 is short. You could knock that out in a weekend, tops.

Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 02:49:30 PM »

Everyone, you're missing my question. I've already decided that I'm going to secure a copy as soon as I can, if it's reasonably priced I won't pay more then the equivalent of 110$ for it right now. I already am aware of the games greatness seeming as I don't think I've ever heard a harsh word spoken about it. My bind is whatever I should PUT OFF playing Suikoden III until I can play the second and possibly first installments so that I can get the "entire experience" so to speak.

Perhaps it doesn't matter all to much, but I wanna know how much you think I'll miss if I just go ahead and finish the third one first, that's the issue at hand.

BTW D. Gray-man fan?

Indeed. Also, the alias describes my personality rather well.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 03:36:41 PM »

Honestly, I don't think I would have appreciated Suikoden III anywhere near as much as I did if I hadn't played through the first two.  I don't know how to make it any clearer without ruining anything.

But if you've already gotten a good ways into Suikoden III, I don't see any point in waiting to finish it.  Finding a decently priced copy of Suikoden II probably isn't going to be easy to do as you might think, so you might as well finish what you've already started.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 05:03:31 PM »

What is it that makes Suik 2 so special? I played a fairly big part of 1 (Ten hours or so?) but it seemed like pretty much generic late 16-bit era RPG.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 05:15:49 PM »

Perhaps it doesn't matter all to much, but I wanna know how much you think I'll miss if I just go ahead and finish the third one first, that's the issue at hand.

Well... how much have you actually seen of Suikoden III? If you already know the major plotpoints, including the name of the antagonist, some of the impact is lost no matter what.

But, even if you finish the third game first, Suikoden I & II still give you the chance to look at certain characters from another perspective.

What I would do: Finish Suikoden III, but skip the secret chapters. Then Finish Suikoden I and II, replay Suikoden III and get all 108 stars of destiny. Getting all stars unlocks a special chapter that will mean so much more if you've played the first games.

What is it that makes Suik 2 so special? I played a fairly big part of 1 (Ten hours or so?) but it seemed like pretty much generic late 16-bit era RPG.

The first game was pretty generic, but it added something fun to the mix: the castle. Everyone loves that castle.

Suikoden II doesn't look like anything special, but it manages to do everything just right. Back in 1998/1999 it was hard to find another RPG with an epic story of the same magnitude. And it still is, RPG-heroes leave their little villages to save the world/universe/dimension, but it just isn't the same...
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 05:30:55 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

I guess it's different for everyone, but for me it was the tragic yet heartwarming backdrop involving the main characters combined with the interesting political themes. The first one is almost like a prototype, as the second expands so much more, not just in the gameplay(there's a much greater variety of minigames, and greater character ability customization) or the graphics(the sprites are noticeably improved), but the plot depth is much enhanced in comparison to the first game.

I guess others in the series later on may give people similar impressions but for me they did not accomplish quite the same.
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 05:32:17 PM »

Well... how much have you actually seen of Suikoden III?

I've put in about 12 hours I think, changing between the four main characters. Right now, I'm on the second chapter of Thomas path, having only finished Hugo's second and the first of Chris and Geddoe so far, so I'd imagine that I have some ways to go.

If you already know the major plotpoints, including the name of the antagonist, some of the impact is lost no matter what.

Unfortunately, this is the largest part that I spoiled for myself,
Code:
simply because I happened to be brushing up on the true runes,
a foolish mistake in hindsight. So I know the antagonist name and his companions, and his general fate, but other than that I didn't spoil to much.

What I would do: Finish Suikoden III, but skip the secret chapters. Then Finish Suikoden I and II, replay Suikoden III and get all 108 stars of destiny. Getting all stars unlocks a special chapter that will mean so much more if you've played the first games.

Ah, I see. That's sounds like a good plan. I think I'll go with that for now, and start working on finding a copy of Suikoden II. Thanks for the suggestion Tomara.

Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 05:40:55 PM »

The gaiden games add to the overall experience too, but they're not essential, they just give the character Nash  his own life and story that intertwines with different events and character from the previous games. You'd need to get a translation though, and I imagine they'd be substantially harder to track down.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 08:05:14 PM »

I know that the OP already said that they were planning on buying Suikoden 2, but personally I'd recommend against it.

1) Used copies of Suikoden 2 go for $80+.  It's a good game, but there are better ways to spend your money.  For example, Suikoden 5 is similar in style and quality to Suikoden 2 and you can get it for $30 and under (leaving you $50 to say, pick up Persona 3 or Blue Dragon).
2) Suikoden 3 and Suikoden 2 play very differently.  Just because you love Suikoden 3 doesn't mean you'll like Suikoden 2 (personally I thought Suikoden 3 was rather poorly designed).  For the record, Suikoden 1,2, and 5 play similarly.
3) Although there are a few characters that cross over from game to game, all of the Suikoden games are standalone.  You can start with any one of them and you're not missing much from not having played earlier games (random save file bonuses not withstanding).

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 08:15:31 PM »

I'd say Suikoden III is one of those games where you're missing out if you skip earlier games. SuikI, II, IV, and V don't really have this (side games are a different story), but SuikIII, one of the big revelations is a big 'yeah, so what?' if you haven't played 1 and/or 2. Also... I do understand the point you have with getting V over II since it's such a hassle to get it, but I'm still not too fond of the idea of just skipping a very good game when part of the appeal is it's story for something else that happens to be similar. It's hard to recommend hunting down SuikII admittedly, so... Hmm. You could hope for a PSN release, but that may take too long especially with you already really going through SuikIII. I say just continue with SuikIII, then if you can get Suik1 and 2 later give it a replay.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 01:52:58 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

For me a certain relationship made the game special for me.  While I don't quite elevate it to the same OMG AWESME status some people do, on the other hand it was a very fun game, and though it does make a particular portion of Suikoden III more memorable, on the other hand I don't think it's particularly necessary to have played either of the other two to appreciate the overall story.  As Tomara said, the first was generic, though it WAS much better than Beyond the Beyond. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: