Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 10:24:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327295 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  D&D Tactics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: D&D Tactics  (Read 3194 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2007, 11:27:25 PM »

Anyone here pick up D&D Tactics for PSP? I've only put a few hours in (2 of which were spent making my party) but I'm pretty pleased. The interface is pretty clunky but it's god damn D&D and has all the party customization you would expect. It won't win over anyone who isn't already famliar with the D&D system: if you don't know it, you'll probably be immediately put off because the game relies heavily upon its rule structure. But if you can slog through the terminology, tactical RPG fans might find something to love.

Anyone buy this and have an opinion yet? What kind of party are you using?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:30:47 PM »

I probably won't get it, but I have been curious to see how it's received. So far... too early to judge really.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 12:19:01 AM »

What's the overarching structure, outside of battles? Is it like FFT where you have a worldmap thing? FE where you're just sort of scuttled along?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 09:27:06 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
What's the overarching structure, outside of battles? Is it like FFT where you have a worldmap thing? FE where you're just sort of scuttled along?

It's sort of like FFT's world map, yeah. You move from point to point on a big world map and at each point is a different store, temple, school, or whatever, and then an "adventure" point where you can do a battle. After you beat one, then it opens up a series of other points on the map that you can do in any order you want.

Interestingly, (at the point where I am at least) it doesn't seem like you can replay levels. Nor do there seem to be areas where you can repeatedly battle to grind levels. This isn't really a complaint though due to D&D's leveling system anyway (and the fact that D&D games have mostly always been grind free).

What's most different from a regular tactics game is that dungeon exploration elements have been added to the tactical battles. For instance: when you enter a battle area, all the enemies are not immediately on screen. Sometimes you have to move from room to room in a little dungeon and battle new clusters of enemies. This makes things a little more exciting because you can be ambushed, or use your rouges to sneak up on enemies and do surprise attacks, etc. since your enemies doesn't always know where you are.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 02:57:21 PM »

So it's less like a strategy RPG and more like normal D&D then, with the dungeon crawl elements and lack of grinding?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 12:47:44 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
So it's less like a strategy RPG and more like normal D&D then, with the dungeon crawl elements and lack of grinding?

Yes, but still, it's much like a strategy RPG. You won't mistake the dungeon crawl elements for an actual dungeon crawl. It's just a tiny bit more adventuresome than your regular Tactics game fare.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 10:50:40 AM »

Bought a copy yesterday to review for the site.  Let me know if there are any specific questions other than the normal stuff you'd like me to make sure I mention.  Things like "what if I don't really know D&D rules?"

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 12:51:29 AM »

I've clocked a few more hours. Just like D&D, the game gets much more exciting when you get to a decent level and finally start getting cool spells and abilities and fighting some interesting monsters. My mage finally got Fireball (hell yeah), and my psionic's powers are finally starting to work actually work against enemies. I also got to kill an extra-planar creature. It was an epic battle and very awesome.

One thing that gets me down about this game is that it is EXTREMELY slow paced. When you aren't actively engaged in combat, moving your party around the battle field is pretty time-consuming and much more work than it needs to be, especially since keeping your party together is crucial. I've got a ranger and druid in my party and both of them have pets, meaning I have to move 8 guys individually whenever I want to go somewhere. As a result, battles last much longer than they should.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 03:46:43 PM »

Did you notice "Chess Mode?"  I found that made a HUGE difference for me.  In a battle, hit Start and you should see it in the menu.  Turn it on, and when you move people, they'll move like lightning from space to space.  The only bad thing is that you have to be more conscious of when your team's hit points, because of the way the camera moves around.  I felt like it was a tradeoff I was willing to live with.

Still playing through this game for a review, and would really like to know how far into the game I am, but I'm trying to avoid reading other people's reviews...

—Kurt Vonnegut
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »

Quote from: "Tooker"
Did you notice "Chess Mode?"  I found that made a HUGE difference for me.  In a battle, hit Start and you should see it in the menu.  Turn it on, and when you move people, they'll move like lightning from space to space.  The only bad thing is that you have to be more conscious of when your team's hit points, because of the way the camera moves around.  I felt like it was a tradeoff I was willing to live with.

In response to your question. I thought Chess Mode moved far too fast and actually made the battles very confusing (and as you mentioned, I could never tell how much damage I was doing or receiving. I could be happy with something in the middle of slow-as-hell and instantaneous.

In any case, I finally beat this game. It's alright. My biggest complaint is the lack of variety in the monsters and locations. It only seems like you are fighting a few different kinds of monsters throughout the game (werewolves, men of different types, mind flayers, yuan-ti, and undead). This is pretty underwhelming when you consider the vast quantity of cool D&D monsters that did not make an appearance in this game. Also, the game desperately needed some more interesting locations. I got bored of  towns and dark, dark caves.

The other problem is that it is far too easy to become overleveled. Not even doing every optional mission, by the last third of the game, my party was basically unkillable and monsters no longer even provided experience points for killing them. The final area of the game recommends that you be level 14 but I was almost 20 by the time I got there.

Don't get me wrong. It's lots of fun at times, but there are far more balanced and interesting D&D video game experiences to be had. Although, to be fair, it's probably the most fun I've had with my PSP. So how much can I really complain?
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 08:24:44 AM »

Yeah, more of a compromise between "takes forever" and chess mode would have been better.  

I played all of the side missions and even repeated the only one you could repeat a few times, and I think my whole party was up to 20 by the last mission.  Maybe the easiest final boss ever (I went for "good," BTW) .  I just made my party invisible, walked them up on either side of the dragon, and whaled on it for about 3 turns before it was dead.

In the end, I think my impression was pretty similar to yours - it was a bunch of fun, but given all that D&D has to offer, anyone who knows the system (and I don't) can't help but feel that it's not everything they wanted it to be.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 08:27:14 PM »

Yeah, I took the good path too. I was all geared to be evil, but the evil missions all sounded pretty boring.

The other game breaker is that you can rest anytime and instantly heal all hit points and rememorize spells with no chance of being attacked. The game offers a little more challenge of opt to not do this after every single encounter.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »

Quote from: "Willy Elektrix"
The other game breaker is that you can rest anytime and instantly heal all hit points and rememorize spells with no chance of being attacked.

Hah - I definitely took advantage of that ability.  Saving mid-battle is a similar feature - some people like it, others think it makes games too easy.  I saw many threads online where people said that they just used 3 or 4 people in their party to make the game have a decent difficulty level.

Since the game requires you to have 6 people in the fight to start, they'd start 6, then just leave 2 or 3 on the starting pads and never take their turn.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: