Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 06:41:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337931 Posts in 13834 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Romancing SaGa
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Romancing SaGa  (Read 2713 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2007, 08:31:58 PM »

There was a topic for this over a year ago, but I figure I'd bring it back up since I've been interested in it for a long while and it went down to $20 on Amazon. There's only 2 copies left so if you don't have it and are interested, now's as good a time as any to get it. I suppose it seems a bit stupid to be interested in this but hate FFII, but this sounds unorthodox enough, even if not necessarily likable ways, to be appealing. Plus I'm all for receiving old SE games we missed out on.

Edit: SE... That's both accurate and inaccurate. I was thinking of Squaresoft titles there but I'd like to see Enix games we missed too as evidenced by my interest in the DQ remakes.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 10:10:30 PM »

Uhh, so...get it, then? I definitely got it myself when it went down to $20; haven't really played it yet, but the battle system's Suikoden basic.

That, and objectives aren't always clear; I started off as the Pirate Captain, Hawk, and all you do in the beginning as him is just sail around, fight enemies, and try to figure out what the crap to do next.

Then I tried Albert. Wow, at least I got somewhere, there; the fruity knights of Rosalia are something else.

Mind you, these are impressions based on exactly 1 hour of play. But, let's say you've nothing else on your list that you want to get, or have nothing else left to play. Go for it. At least the soundtrack's a lot of pleasing; and the game gives you something to do while you listen to it. So far, that's all I know. Other than that, I'm leaving this for next Summer. No damn way I'm slating it onto my schedule now.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:18:03 PM »

I've actually already ordered it, saying I was interested implied the wrong thing. In hindsight, I probably should've gotten it with the strategy guide to get the free shipping rather than a book if it's going to be as directionless as I hear, but there's always Faqs. It's probably not the best idea really with Persona 3 coming soon and games like Bioshock and MP3 coming up, but I question if they'd really restock.

Edit: However, if I can really get through some characters' storylines in just 20 hours this would make an ideal RPG to blast through quickly then pick up later to see how it goes for another character.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 02:03:27 AM »

20 hours should be possible. It took me 30 hours to finish the story (I chose Albert) and I did almost all the quests that were available to me.

Some words of advice: The availability of quests depends on your Event Rank and you're ER depends on how many enemies you've fought. Since the rewards for quests are often better than the things you gain during the quests, it's a good idea to not explore every corner and deadend of a dungeon. Fight a few enemies, kick the boss's ass, get your reward and move on to the next quest. Since the strength of normal enemies is linked to your ER, leveling up shouldn't be your priority anyway.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 04:45:44 AM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
... the battle system's Suikoden basic.

That, and objectives aren't always clear.

...all you do... is just sail around, fight enemies, and try to figure out what the crap to do next.

Akitoshi Kawazu's games are all like that, heh.  He's one of my least-favorite designers/producers in the Japanese RPG industry, and I'm pretty 'meh' about the SaGa series as a whole.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 03:34:10 PM »

... the battle system's Suikoden basic.

buh. they're not similar at all.

That, and objectives aren't always clear;

Depends on the character.

In general though the only NPCs you can talk to are the ones that are involved in the 'active' quest, and then you have a few other townie NPCs (who I think vary per character?). In any case as long as you check the bars and explore a little, you should find the questgivers alright. They're actually quiiiite easy to find. If you're having trouble finding a quest then the most likely case is that there aren't any open at that given moment.

Story quests usually get shoved on you after a certain event rank though, I believe. It's relatively hard/impossible to miss these ones.

i like unclear objectives myself personally, but im not the sort of person who's obsessed with completing everything. i like being surprised by stuff. its like how in the persona 3 how i think that if you know exactly how to get all of the characters to like you and trigger all the little sidestories... well, there's no real fun in exploring the game or playing it on your own.

anyway that sort of exploratory mindset was really prevelant with old pc games and i really like it and thats why i like kawazu games so much (!?"). for another example of what i mean, the game sundog: frozen legacy had intentionally sparse documentation so that the player could discover things on their own.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »

I tried out a Super Famicon versions of the SaGa series and enjoyed them.  When the PS2 Romancing SaGa came out, I bought it on release for full price.  I never beat the game (due to buying almost every RPG that came out that year), but I enjoyed what I played.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 09:02:54 PM »

(due to buying almost every RPG that came out that year)

Didn't it also come out in the same two week period as Shadow of the colossus and dds2?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 12:00:34 AM »

I share Mesh's opinion on the whole unclear objective thing.What I've always liked about SaGa games, is in addition to them having that non linear feeling, the collection of stories always appealed to me. I liked how instead of playing one firmly cohesive storyline there was an array of characters with different stories, interconnected within the same world. I think there is a cool exploratory thing going on in most of the games, in the direction you progress throughout the games.

I'd like to see a translated RS 2 and 3 on the virtual console.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 01:56:41 AM »

sgf did sort of bug me in that every character basically had the same subquests. i mean, that applies to the series as a whole actually, but SGF's were just the magic-related ones.

what's neat with romancing saga is the way the skill system's set up, you'll be doing moderately different stuff in the missions with different characters. SGF's skillset was sort of limitted in this regard.

i also liked how in unlimited saga you had the swimming and climbing skills so that, similarly, the same dungeon would play differently for different characters <:(

er, anyway. It's not worth worrying about the event rank. Do so and you'll just get a bunch of finicky numbers games going on. Play normally, let whatever happens happen, and go with it. trying to do every single mission in every game is also going to get repetitive as hell, by the way.

That's also how i feel about playing persona 3 again ;)

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 11:05:24 PM »

I love this game with a fanboyish intensity, but I think that the beef that people have with it is summed up quite nicely by my younger brother: "There's linear, there's nonlinear, and then there's radial. Romancing SaGa is radial."
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 12:39:25 AM »

Radial would imply some sort of central hub area with millions of sidequests/areas you could do from this central area. Sort of like Megaman, to the tenth power.

RS is more linear than, say, Morrowind, because you  HAVE to talk to people about areas before you can go to them, for instance, and you're really only going to have about 10 quests available at once.

REally, really !@#%ingly insanely nonlinear would... be metal saga, which I pretty much love more than anything else on the PS2 bar persona 3 and ookami, but that's another story ;)

anyway, RS. One thing bugged the hell out of me a lot. Townie NPCs *don't talk*. I got used to it but I sort of am the kind of person that likes bugging townies for info or just background.

anyway, I don't really recall weapon breakage being a major problem. I don't think you can do field repair or anything, but i'm pretty sure that like unlimited saga if your weapon runs out, you can keep using it for the duration or that battle. They're also relatively cheap and plentiful, I believe.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 02:41:43 AM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
I love this game with a fanboyish intensity, but I think that the beef that people have with it is summed up quite nicely by my younger brother: "There's linear, there's nonlinear, and then there's radial. Romancing SaGa is radial."

I like it.

Honestly, despite what MeshGearFox said, I think RS is radial. There's a center to it that you must eventually return to, but where you go all around that is up to you. It's a good metaphor.

Eusis, IMO, you made a great choice, as evidenced by my writings here:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/romancingsagaminstrel/index.html

and here:

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/go2005/index.html#pat

I played the hell out of this game. To date I've beaten it with four of the eight characters (in this order: Claudia, Albert, Hawke, Barbara. So far, I liked the two female plots most. Claudia is awesome, and Barbara is cool too.) If I get back on it sometime, I've started my fifth character ... Sif (the big viking woman). I'd eventually like to beat it w/ all 8, much like I did with SaGa Frontier.

Honestly, most gamers will only want to complete the game once. AND they'll probably want to do some *heavy* FAQ reading to make sure they get the most out of the first play. There are three paths for the "near" end-game dungeon: good, neutral, evil. Personally, I highly recommend good. Neutral is meh, and evil is interesting ... but good has some excellent dialogue and plot revelation. I hope you get the chance to play through it!

(And if you play only once, pick CLAUDIA!!!!)

Ramza

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 04:11:42 AM »

Honestly, despite what MeshGearFox said, I think RS is radial.

If I, say, compare it to a radial figure where each spoke is a fibonacci spiral, would this parallel make sense to you at all?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 04:53:26 AM »

It would be more telling than the generic "non-linear" category, whether or not the parallels match exactly. The point is there's a center, and radii sprouting out off of it. Yes? Good.

Ramza

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: