Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 06:48:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334756 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Romancing SaGa
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Romancing SaGa  (Read 2691 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »

Quote from: MeshGearFox

anyway, I don't really recall weapon breakage being a major problem. I don't think you can do field repair or anything, but i'm pretty sure that like unlimited saga if your weapon runs out, you can keep using it for the duration or that battle.

Actually, you can't.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 06:14:52 PM »

Well, it's back in stock at Amazon... And my order still hasn't shipped. Actually, it's half shipped, my package got split into two so the book I ordered, The Fifth Head of Cerberus, is on it's way while RSG is just waiting. Just as well, with Bioshock/Persona 3 I kinda got my hands full.

Ramza - I'll mess with Albert a little bit first, but that's only because, uhh, I checked the original and saw how his started, so I'm curious to see how the remake looks in comparison. I'll try Claudia after giving that a spin for half an hour.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 01:16:06 AM »

btw Eusis, some of the areas in  RS are sort of 'hub' areas and they have a rather DQ8-overworld feel to them. Not a lot of areas, but a few.

Also, anyone know if anything carries between games? usaga had the shop rank thing and sgf had the Secret Bonus Area, but does RS have anything? I'm thinking no, but I just started Hawke (YEY BOAT!) and i dunno if I really ought to finish claudia first.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 02:43:27 AM »

There are apothecary and shop "clout" levels in Romancing SaGa. Not sure how they compare to shop levels in U.Saga

I *don't* think there is a bonus area to explore for beating the game with all 8 characters. However, there are a buttload of really interesting hidden characters and other secrets that cannot be unlocked until your 2nd (or even 3rd) playthrough. And they require some ridiculous, time-sensitive quest completion.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/924486/39602

this walkthru has GREAT info, though it's hard to navigate sometimes.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 04:20:33 PM »

Bah. I read some faq and thought the game had about 90 quests, then realized at least 20 of the ones listed were actually minstrel stories and that there are only around 50 quests. Bummr.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 09:42:49 PM »

Well, I got the game a few days ago. I'm liking it and it's... Interesting. I don't think I've seen a game before where I walk into a house, get greeted, then promptly thrown out. Otherwise though it has a charm to it that I like and kinda shows to me why I wish SE were putting out less FF and more trying new things. The music's awesome too.

MGF - I understand what you mean with the hub areas being kinda DQVIII-ish, but the appeal of DQVIII's style to me has been the movable camera and the fact it's one large, more or less seamless world. RSG's also a bit of a mixed bag graphically. It's got a nice style, but everyone's a deformed midget for some silly reason, and looking at the manual this would be an artstyle that could be really awesome to see properly translated to 3D without being super deformed. I defended it for FFIV, and if it works for a game's style then I don't really think it needs to be dropped, but this is just... Weird. I guess it winds up inexplicably fitting that way though.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 10:55:52 PM »

Yeah, I really hated the character models in ps2 RS. They just end up looking bizarre and ugly.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 11:21:55 PM »

I didn't like the art style at first but once I got sort of used to it I really started liking it. The animations are sort of jerky and... odd, but the amount of detail, both in model and in texture, is really amazing in some pretty subtle ways.

I'm not saying the models aren't creepy as hell or weird looking but they merge into this interesting gestalt. Not SD for the sake of mimicking the old sprites. SD to mimick those =creepy wooden puppets=. because I mean, that's what they are. they're puppets. you're moving them with your thumbs like some owen palette.

The camera does suck pretty massively though, yeah. I forgot about that.

Anyway, I was playing it a bit recently. Reason weapon breakage isn't a major problem -- A) More expensive inn rooms'll fix your weapons. B) As you level your weapon skills up, they take less damage per use. The battle system's also very fast, which I'd forgotten.

Also, the house has some sort of function in some quest. I can't remember what though :(

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 02:26:20 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Well, I got the game a few days ago. I'm liking it and it's... Interesting. I don't think I've seen a game before where I walk into a house, get greeted, then promptly thrown out. Otherwise though it has a charm to it that I like and kinda shows to me why I wish SE were putting out less FF and more trying new things. The music's awesome too.

Hear hear! The battle themes are exceptionally good. My favorite song of all is

Code:
Fights against those evil dudes, Scorn and Strife ... some scat-vocal with latin-flavored guitar ... HELL YES

Ramza

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 03:06:22 AM »

Yes!

Code:
The first time I encountered Scorn he kicked my ass again and again. I had to watch the introduction over and over, but I didn't mind, it had the best battletheme I've ever heard.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: