Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 03:15:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318971 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Growing out my hair; need advice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Growing out my hair; need advice  (Read 3164 times)
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2007, 12:58:49 AM »

This may sound like a weird topic to bring up, but just thought I'd throw it out there. I want to grow out my hair down at waist-length, and I know some of you guys (and girls) have long hair. Do you have any tips on getting it to grow properly? I tried before, but all I ended up with was a shitty mullet in the back, so I said fuck that, and cut it short. I plan to grow it out correctly, this time...
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 01:45:41 AM »

I grow my hair in and out constantly (it's shorter now) though I've never had it below upper-back length. I'm not too sure about the whole waste-length thing, I think it's pretty pointless below mid-back, doesn't really change your presentation in the slightest, and only hurts your neck more and metal concerts. Not to mention, when my hair is long, I always want to cut it short, and vice-versa.

As for the cut, it's not going to matter all that much. If you're getting a mullet, you're probably just not letting it grow out far enough, because all sections will eventually get long. Remember, hair almost always looks crappy at shoulder-length, it's not quite long to be weighted down, but isn't short enough to manage well.

Crap... there's some angry dogs outside my door... don't know if I should leave the house, I might increase my lifespan if I just stay inside and play more video games.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 01:52:43 AM »

Thanks for the tips. I had in mind, to shorten the sides, the next time it gets long, and just leave the top long, then whenever there's a mullet in back, cut that off each time. And repeat process for a couple years.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 04:26:57 AM »

A couple years? Nah... unless your hair grows REALLY slow, it shouldn't take more than a year to be shoulderblade length, and by that time, you won't have to worry about mullet problems. But yeah, if it grows faster in the back than on the sides (which is common), there's no harm in trimming. In fact, with long hair, trimming becomes really simple.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:25:30 AM »

*steals Losfer's advice*

When it does get past shoulder length, you need to be trimming about half an inch off the ends about every three months. Not only does this encourage it to grow more quickly, but it also helps to avoid split ends and general badness.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 11:49:45 AM »

That's pretty much the best advice.  If you want your hair to look good you're going to have to get it trimmed.  Otherwise you get bad split ends and possibly strands of hair falling out.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 12:54:13 PM »

I've had long hair since most of you were still shitting in diapers.  All I do to take care of it is get it cut every three to four months and let it air dry after I wash it.  Nothing to it.  Of course, being genetically predisposed to having awesome hair doesn't hurt things. :P

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 02:03:05 PM »

CUT YOUR HAIR, YOU FUCKING HIPPIES.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 02:16:10 PM »

No, we will NOT have a chorus singing George Thorogood's "Haircut" song.

Get a haircut and get a real job
Clean your act up and don't be a slob
Get it together like your big brother bob
Get a haircut and get a real job

Anyway, in addition to keeping your hair trimmed (cut off the split ends and allow the hair to grow healthy instead of straw-like), keeping it clean (unwashed hair can smell funky), and all that, be prepared for the "growing pain" stages.  Up till about 6 months, it's going to poke out all over the place and be an utter mess.  You'll never be able to get it to look tidy.  So if you want to grow your hair long, you have to be patient during that awkward hair stage.

I approve of this nonsense!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 04:21:46 PM »

My wife's hair goes down to her knees when it's left down, and in a dry climate (like it is where we live), that can be really annoying, because it flies around.  I'd suggest learning some way to do your hair that you're OK with doing just about every day, like braiding it or something.  If you keep it simple, you can actually do your hair faster than people with shorter hair.  If you have short hair, you do things to make it look nice and make a good impression.  Long hair's going to make an impression with a lot less effort, and if you follow the tips people have given here, it'll be a good impression.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 12:37:50 PM »

Harhar, this thread is great.

Yeah, like Deg and DR said, you need a trim every three to four months or you're fucked.  I didn't get my hair cut for six years, so the length was there, but so were lots of split ends and frizz.  If you want, like, John Myung hair, you need, literally, about a centimeter chopped off every three to four months.  This way the dead ends get tackled but you lose very little length.

I recommend a good shampoo and conditioner too.  Especially depending on your hair type.  My wife's hair is down to her waist and very straight, so it is predisposed to getting greasy somewhat quick.  Whereas my hair is thick and wavy/curly the longer it gets.  So if your hair is straight and or thin, you need a shampoo that xtra tuff on grease.  Curlyish hair involves lots more maintenance since it is predisposed to more tangles and knots.  Get a nice wood handled brush or a plastic "afro pick."  Plastic handled brushes will fucking destroy your hair.

And while on the destroying of hair topic, do not use a brush on it while it is wet!  Lots of hair will get torn out.  Any sort of heat styling like straightening or hair drying is a no no as well unless you want super cracked dry hair!

The elements become your enemy, anything from rain to sun to a tree can fuck you over.  Protect your hair!  Umbrellas for rain, taking care to hide your hair from overhanging rubbish, being careful on a bus / in a car / sitting / running, cause hair down to your waist can equal out to it getting caught in just about anything at all like a seat on the bus, a seat belt, a random bit on the wall.  I've had lots of hair tugged out these ways myself.  :(

In any event, you need to treat it like it's gold.  The reward is in he fact you will look awesome and you will net lots of comments!

Fun!

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 06:33:49 PM »

but all I ended up with was a shitty mullet in the back, so I said fuck that, and cut it short. I plan to grow it out correctly, this time...

I had this problem too. Just trim the back until your bangs and the rest of your hair catches up.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 06:41:18 PM »

Is it important to slick back the bangs when they get long enough? I had some very long bangs at the time, but I just left them hanging in the front, and could /almost/ fold them in the back of my ears.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 08:17:31 PM »

Everyone goes through two stages:

Emo mop.

Mullet.

Get a hat or bandana or something.  If you keep cutting the back of your hair while the bangs grow, you will end up with a bob.  And they haven't been popular for housewives since the 50s.

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 04:33:31 AM »

Is it important to slick back the bangs when they get long enough? I had some very long bangs at the time, but I just left them hanging in the front, and could /almost/ fold them in the back of my ears.

*shrugs*

I didn't. I just left them alone until they were long enough to tuck away. Maybe you should though. Mine seriously got annoying. I got so mad that I considered cutting my hair because of it, lol.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: