Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 11:25:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334709 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Need Some Advice.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need Some Advice.  (Read 586 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2007, 06:32:51 AM »

I was going to post this in The Helper Monkey, but I don't think I'm going to get the most out of it there.

I'll try to keep the simple and to the point.

A few months ago I graduated from high school, so I'm about to be separated from one of the few people I've considered a true friend to me. He's been a little annoying for the past few years, but I thought that was just his growth and not really anything to worry about.

Of course, gossip leads me to find out- he's taking Prozac. And he's been taking it for years.

Somehow after I heard this a lot of things seemed to fall into place, he's always been a very nice person, though he lacked a lot of common sense and was, in my opinion, masochistic in many ways. He's the type of person who's constantly worrying about his grades and would be completely depressed over the smallest things (Like a girl turning him down for a dance or something).

Prozac isn't exactly famous for its ability as an effective medication. Many people on Prozac end up killing themselves, or worse- hurting people around them. For all I know this guy I've known for years is just the mask that is put on by his medication, and I've never really met the guy.

The worst part is that he chose an extremely good school to go to, definitely one of the top in the country, and nobody he knows that gives a damn about him is going there.

I fear for the worst, so I'm not really sure what I can do as a friend right now.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:25:05 AM »

Let me first say that I had a friend who was on Prozac for a while when we were in high school, and it really helped her.  She only had to take it for a while, after which her brain kind of figured out what it had been doing wrong chemically, and she stopped taking it (at least that's what I was told).  I know several other people who have taken it and at least one felt like it wasn't really helpful, so she stopped taking it.

The problem with Prozac is that it doesn't just stop you from being depressed all the time - it stops you from really feeling anything.  You may not be as depressed, but you're never really happy either.  My understanding is that's what leads to suicides - people don't feel as bad about stuff, but even when things go right, they don't feel really good about it either, so they still feel like there's nothing worthwhile in their lives.

Not that you know me from Adam, but here's my two bits on how to feel about/deal with your friend's situation.  Taking something like that's a pretty personal thing that some (or maybe most) people don't feel comfortable sharing with anyone, even their close friends.  They worry that people will judge them harshly or desert them, and don't want that to happen.  Don't feel bad that he never told you about it.  As far as personality goes, I feel like my friend who took it was the same person before, during, and after - she was just sadder before.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: